Doogie: Ticket sales for Friday's game "lacking in a very very troubling way"

For the last time, the U is NOT running this event. They don’t own the stadium. They don’t set the prices. They don’t decide anything. The gophers are paid to play in the event. The stadium management makes the money. The gophers play the game. Its a test run. They will make so much from the Final 4 they don’t care at all. This is just a day to make sure electronics and stuff work.

Are you operating under the assumption that this is some sort of a charity? They're running a business. They're going to structure the event and set prices at the point where they feel they can maximize profit.

Of course they didn't design it with the U of M team and fans in mind. And of course they don't care about the local Minnesota fans, at least those who aren't paying customers. It's naive to think otherwise.
I've been self-emplyed for 20 years, sonny. In the work I do, I can't afford to piss off my established clients. That undermines profit in the long run. But we're in a short term profit world where according to you, its unnecessary to consider your audience.

You must work for a pharmaceutical company. But in this case, people don't need basketball to live, and pissed off enough, they'll find other things to do.

For the last time, the U is NOT running this event. They don’t own the stadium. They don’t set the prices. They don’t decide anything. The gophers are paid to play in the event. The stadium management makes the money. The gophers play the game. Its a test run. They will make so much from the Final 4 they don’t care at all. This is just a day to make sure electronics and stuff work.

It would be nice if people would realize that what you're saying is exactly correct and stop trying to do everything they can to constantly sh1t on the U of M.

I've been self-emplyed for 20 years, sonny. In the work I do, I can't afford to piss off my established clients. That undermines profit in the long run. But we're in a short term profit world where according to you, its unnecessary to consider your audience.

You must work for a pharmaceutical company. But in this case, people don't need basketball to live, and pissed off enough, they'll find other things to do.

The problem with your lecture is that the business owners don't have these people as their clients. It's a one time event and they'll never have to serve this particular constituency in any meaningful capacity ever again. There's no incentive for them to do anything other than make as much money as they can while testing the facilities in the process.

I know. None of it is keeping me from going . Just wish it was full but even Gopher home games are not full.

But it is so much easier to blame the U for this then to actually look at the truth of the situation. It is unreal how some people can gloss over simple details (like the U not being in control of the venue) in their quest to assign blame or rip on the powers that be at the U of M. Some might question the value of playing in this particular game at US Bank but it isn't the U of Ms fault if there are a ton of open seats because they didn't set the prices and they are not running the event.

The problem with your lecture is that the business owners don't have these people as their clients. It's a one time event and they'll never have to serve this particular constituency in any meaningful capacity ever again. There's no incentive for them to do anything other than make as much money as they can while testing the facilities in the process.
Got it. It's cut throat business and the U is the patsy stupid enough to be thoughtlessly used. Thanks.

Why is non attendance some sort of indicator about fandom?? I don’t get these threads.

Got it. It's cut throat business and the U is the patsy stupid enough to be thoughtlessly used. Thanks.

I'm sure you would've been elated if the U opted not to take part in this event, particularly after the report came out stating that the U was invited and declined to participate.

It's almost as if the U can't win with some of you people.

I bought tickets outside the stadium before tip off. There was probably 200 people in line for the 15 minute wait I was there

Attended and had a great time with a group of friends that came with only because it was at US Bank and the time was perfect to head downtown and get dinner beforehand. Being at the game was much better than the camera angle on the broadcast. I was center court, second deck and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the game from that perspective. 9pm or 8pm...is it really that big of a deal? As a fan once in the building, the excitement of being there took over and I could care less what time it was. Thought it was a good crowd as well. Only criticism is where they put the band...off in a lower corner. Should have been closer IMO. I had a great time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a strange take. Do you somehow think the U is waking up this morning bemoaning the fact that it was “the patsy stupid enough to be thoughtlessly used”? Why would anyone at the U be anything but thrilled?

And i have been to games where you can not get a ticket because they are sold out and the seats are filled.

I'm sure the majority of time those are really good programs. I just thought your post made it seem like filling the arena night after night was just a MN issue. I've seen historically better programs play in a half empty arena early in the season.

Attended and had a great time with a group of friends that came with only because it was at US Bank and the time was perfect to head downtown and get dinner beforehand. Being at the game was much better than the camera angle on the broadcast. I was center court, second deck and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the game from that perspective. 9pm or 8pm...is it really that big of a deal? As a fan once in the building, the excitement of being there took over and I could care less what time it was. Thought it was a good crowd as well. Only criticism is where they put the band...off in a lower corner. Should have been closer IMO. I had a great time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the game as well. Sat in the cheap seats (club level behind one of the baskets) but was pleasantly surprised by the view from there and the kids and I had a lot of fun. The atmosphere in a stadium like that is always going to be lacking but like how they arranged the court down towards one end to close things off a little at least.

Strange game because of the atmosphere. Was actually surprised to look up at one point and see we were up by 18 because it didn't feel like it. One suggestion I would have for the folks at US Bank is to figure out some sort of temporary scoreboard for all the secondary stats that is a little easier to see. Good time though and glad the Gophers pulled out the victory.

People whined all week that there would be no atmosphere at the game because of poor ticket sales. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the game. I thought the crowd was pretty good and the atmosphere did not seem like a let down. Most of seats by the court were full and the sight lines were pretty good.

I would have loved to have gone but I can't stay awake past 9 PM.

People whined all week that there would be no atmosphere at the game because of poor ticket sales. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the game. I thought the crowd was pretty good and the atmosphere did not seem like a let down. Most of seats by the court were full and the sight lines were pretty good.

You lose the true home court advantage of the crowd getting really loud and into the game but for something like the final 4 that isn't a big deal. My dad said there are going to be some curtains installed for the final 4 that will close things off a little more and I definitely think that would have helped some. All in all though it was a good experience and there was a pretty decent crowd on hand. Definitely don't regret the decision to pick up some tickets and go.

I'm sure the majority of time those are really good programs. I just thought your post made it seem like filling the arena night after night was just a MN issue. I've seen historically better programs play in a half empty arena early in the season.

It is a college basketball issue for sure not just a Gopher problem. Still, many college towns are better college basketball towns, it comes with winning. I remember when UW was the faithful 5000. Win conference titles and people show up, in fact they show up as your building to it. This event does not reflect on the U or the team but the community and the organizers. I had a great time.

US Bank Classic...

I took my 2 grandsons to the game last night. We had decent seats and all had a good time. Was everything perfect? No, but I knew going in that the seats and concessions were going to be overpriced. (I've been to a lot of games and concerts, so you know going in that, that's the way it is.) You make your decision knowing those things. If it works great. If not you don't go. I suppose I could have complained (seemingly the American way these days) here or on other social media platforms. Would it have made any difference?... only that there would have been more posts here and on other places... I was glad we won, despite being inconsistent and streaky. We did a lot of good things. Hopefully, we can get a few more bugs out before the B10 season, which is going to be brutal otherwise. Go Gophers!

Was surprised how, overall, well they shot the ball in the rather unusual setting. Four of us went and had a very good time. Of course the results of the game helped.

This is a strange take. Do you somehow think the U is waking up this morning bemoaning the fact that it was “the patsy stupid enough to be thoughtlessly used”? Why would anyone at the U be anything but thrilled?
Not my take - sarcasm. The point being that the U doesnt take seem to know how to take a more active role in their own best interests.

That said, I thought it was a decent event and they should do something like it again (only take the reins regarding the fan experience)
While certainly lots of the old faithful were there, I saw a much different crowd at the game than usual, and with a win, it was probably a good experience for them.

i.e.. a halftime show would have been pretty simple add.

Not my take - sarcasm. The point being that the U doesnt take seem to know how to take a more active role in their own best interests.

That said, I thought it was a decent event and they should do something like it again (only take the reins regarding the fan experience)
While certainly lots of the old faithful were there, I saw a much different crowd at the game than usual, and with a win, it was probably a good experience for them.

i.e.. a halftime show would have been pretty simple add.

I can’t stress this enough apparently. The Gophers don’t own the venue or the game. They had no control over it. Its like saying they needed to change how games in Vancouver were handled. They can’t. They were paid to show up and play. So they showed up and played. Thats the long and short of it

Top Bottom