Doogie: Tyler Johnson should look at going pro

Guys like Thielen and Diggs show that it doesn't matter which round you're drafted in or if you're even drafted at all; what matters is how you continue to develop in your career. The question is, where would Johnson expect to have the best chance to continue to develop next year - in a senior year of college or in an uncertain situation in the pros?

There are 10-15 million reasons why someone would prefer to be drafted in the first than later.

Keep in mind, Adam Thielen has still not made as much money as Laquon Treadwell over the courses of their careers. It's hard to "catch up".

I think Coughlin has a tough row to hoe, this year or next. Tweener, Not big enough for DE, might be fast enough to play LB but not tops in that area. Stay in school enjoy another year as a team captain, probably get a run somewhere as an UFA after next year.

I think you got some bad intel there, LakeFan. Coughlin is quick and fast.

TJ is a 4th round pick if he plays his senior year. Should have a nice career in the NFL as a possession receiver, he runs good routes and will get better at it next year.

I think he's shown enough to get drafted in the middle rounds already, but I hope he sticks around.

Guarantee he's faster than Chad Greenway, who had a very nice NFL career. I don't think speed will be an issue for Coughlin.

Why do you say that? Greenway was a state track champion in HS.

If either of them grade out in 3rd round or higher, it’s certainly something to think about. I tend to think anything lower than 3rd with a team that’s likely to take a big step forward makes the math favor staying for 1 more.

Why do you say that? Greenway was a state track champion in HS.

He ran a 4.76 40 at the NFL combine and I don't think he got any faster after he tore his ACL. I'm a big Greenway fan - loved him as a Viking - but he wasn't very fast. Also, wasn't his only track championship in the triple jump?

There are 10-15 million reasons why someone would prefer to be drafted in the first than later.

Keep in mind, Adam Thielen has still not made as much money as Laquon Treadwell over the courses of their careers. It's hard to "catch up".

Not true. Thielen is on a 4 yr / $19M contract making about $5M this season. He got over $9M fully guaranteed upon signing. Treadwell is on a 4 yr / $9M rookie deal making $1.3M this season, after 2 prior years under the $1M mark.

Rookie deals ain't what they used to be. Which is good. I do think there should be major incentives in default rookie deals -- particularly in the 2nd round and later -- that start paying a lot more $$$ when a guy shows he can produce. Because some guys star for a couple years and then get hurt before they make real money.

Top Bottom