ESPN: Mike Krzyzewski tells Duke fans to dial back hype around young team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

In the aftermath of Duke's first loss of the season last weekend, Mike Krzyzewski is asking fans to dial back the hype that has surrounded the Blue Devils' start to the season and appreciate the growing pains for a still raw group of freshmen.

"Let's get real about this whole thing," Krzyzewski said. "Let's not get spoiled. We've got four 19-year-old kids that are busting their ass trying to learn how to play and have a lot of pressure on them."

Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Tre Jones were all top-10 recruits, and the early results have been exceptional. After Duke fell to Gonzaga last weekend, however, Krzyzewski thought there was a significant overreaction.

Asked after Tuesday's dominant win against Indiana if Barrett, in particular, had taken the loss hard, Krzyzewski argued that several key fouls hadn't been called, and the overreaction that followed the defeat was problematic.

"And Duke fans, just cut it out, man," he said. "These kids aren't perfect. [Barrett] wasn't playing hero's ball. He was playing winner's ball. ... I'll go to war with my guys. He had the heart to do that, Jack [White] had the heart to get the rebound. We lose, I'll lose with them."

Krzyzewski noted several plays on which he thought Gonzaga should've been whistled for fouls that weren't called, but he downplayed the impact on the final result, focusing instead on the reaction to the loss.

"We're not going to complain about that or say the refs lost the game, but come on," Krzyzewski said. "[Barrett] probably should've gone to the foul line. It doesn't mean we're going to win."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...des-duke-blue-devils-fans-let-not-get-spoiled

Go Gophers!!

Coach K is the worst. Was openly against recruiting 1 and dones. Criticized those who did. Then realizes he can win by recruiting 1 and dones so he embraces it. I don't care if he does it but he never once explained why its OK now when it wasn't before.

The issue as I see it is that you cannot get through any ESPN broadcast without the announcers slurping up some Dukie BB. It is so sickening.

The issue as I see it is that you cannot get through any ESPN broadcast without the announcers slurping up some Dukie BB. It is so sickening.

Agreed. They can't get through any college basketball broadcast without slurping Duke at every opportunity. It's gross and the ultimate shill-job by ESPN. But they've been unabashed shills for years now so nothing new.

I find it hilarious that K recruits all these top kids, they lose a game and now he's whining about referees and the fans putting too much pressure on them.

Whatever you say K. We all know ESPN will take it as gospel. The rest of us will simply point and laugh at what a hypocrite you have proven to be.

I can't stand coach K either. Just an arrogant A-hole. Quit whining coach, you have the best recruits in the nation, that you likely bought and paid for. You don't need any more calls from the refs.

Sounds like gopher fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they lost all their games moving forward ohhhhh well!

Exactly. The headline should be: ESPN: Coach K tells us to dial back the hype.

Top Bottom