Souhan Trying to Out-duel Reusse for Tool of the Year

If the only people who spit, spatter and complain about columns like this from Reusse, Shipley and Souhan were actual Gopher Season Ticketholders those tiny numbers would really get them shutdown.

Fellow Gopherholers, just stop reading Souhan, Reusse, et al if they agitate you (unless you like being agitated of course). Why in gawds name would anybody follow these twits on Twitter if they agitate you in the first place? That makes no sense to me.

The ONLY place I ever hear about Souhan is on Gopherhole...haven't read him in many years. He simply doesn't exist to me.

Reusse has a small existence for me when he writes about HS and small college stuff which I like, otherwise, "poof" gone.

Do yourself a favor and edit your social media feeds. Following opposing viewpoints to stay educated is one thing; following constant B.S. is another.

You can tell that Souhan does not like PJ Fleck and that he liked Claeys. First off, you can't blame Fleck for Claey's dismissal. Claeys is a good coach and I wish him well at WSU. People such as Souhan love to jump all over Fleck for hiring Smith but I am quite sure Fleck did not know how bad Smith was going to be here and expected a lot more. The most important thing is to put that hire behind you and move on. Yes it was a mistake hiring him but it looks like giving the DC to Rossi might turn out just in fine and correct the problem.

This piece is just a mean-spirited hatchet job and not entirely fair. It makes it look like Fleck had nothing to do with the Gophers success - that somehow it was Rossi that singlehandedly saved the day. Let Fleck enjoy his day in the sun for crying out loud. How about we compromise and say the success at Madison was a TEAM victory and BOTH Rossi and Fleck had a hand in it?

I do agree that had Smith stayed on as DC that the outcome would have been very different and Taylor could very well have rushed for 400 yards. I think elevating Rossi to full time DC was a good decision - by Fleck - and we are looking good going forward from here. I am very interested to see the team build on this year and gain some momentum from it. This is NOT the time to beat down this team or the coaching staff. You have to be able to enjoy this team while you can - we do not get that many moments where we absolutely blow up an arch rival on their home turf but some would rather inexplicably decide to thrash them through good times and bad.

Can I just enjoy this team for a little while - is that too much to ask??

Probably unnecessary, but when good things happen, Coach Fleck is the first person to give credit where credit is due. He was very, VERY complimentary of Rossi's efforts following the departure of Smith.

Probably unnecessary, but when good things happen, Coach Fleck is the first person to give credit where credit is due. He was very, VERY complimentary of Rossi's efforts following the departure of Smith.

Unfortunately, people who dislike PJ Fleck never see that. Their disdain for the guy is so intense that when he talks, the hate wax in their ears muddles things up and all they hear is "Row the Boat! "Row the Boat! "Row the Boat! "Row the Boat! "Row the Boat! "Row the Boat!", or "Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!".

There are many writers and columnists that I'm not a big fan of personally (ex: Reusse) that I'll click and read their column once in a while if it's interesting. I'd rather not give him the clicks but he is a good writer when he's not being a grade A tool. I just skip the Gophers stuff.

Souhan is the only writer I refuse to read. I haven't clicked on a link to his column in over 3 years and I'll never click it again. Everyone do yourself a favor. Do the same thing. You aren't missing a thing. Trust me. He's an a$$hat that happens to be a terrible writer who tries to emulate Rick Reilly (that's NOT a compliment).

Like most here, I don't read any of these guys. Can't remember last time I clicked on one of their columns. I don't buy newspapers. Don't follow anyone on Twitter. Don't listen on radio or podcasts. Don't mention them in other social media. In other words, I don't feed the trolls.

Doesn't mean I can't call a tool a tool, though.

JTG

Souhan's article wasn't about PJ Fleck or Joe Rossi; it was about how Souhan can dish it but he can't take it.

“Non conference fodder”. Fresno state was our best win of the year. Stronger team this year than Wisconsin or Purdue

Chip and Pat are really great columnists.

I have no clue how Souhan makes a living this way.

I used to read Souhan. I found that his style was sort of an alternate universe version of Bareiro. Regardless if I agreed or disagreed with Dan B, I often got a kick out of his writing style, the examples he'd use, etc. Souhan's stuff always came across to me like a cheap wanna be of that. I was already in that mode and to the point where I had moved on from his column (was reading it rarely) when he wrote the spectacularily horrible column on Kill and his health. I haven't read anything from him since, except for copy/paste stuff like the original post in this thread. It is confirmation I am not missing anything. I get it is a columnist role to stir the pot and offer a devil's advocate version of things from time to time. But this, like so much of his work, is just a hack job and it yells out at an attention grabber - not a thought provoking column. We cancelled our subscription except for digital and weekends, and then digital and Sunday, and we will soon go down to just digital - and much of that has to do with Souhan and Reusse (although as I have said elsewhere, I still enjoy Reusse's columns about local kids, town team ball, and stuff like that).

I don't get it. I read and listen to both of them but why get upset over an opinion.

Top Bottom