Western Herald: Fleck vs. Broncos in Detroit? It could happen

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Western Herald:

With their 37-15 win against the Wisconsin Badgers on Saturday, November 24,the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished 6-6 and became bowl eligible for the first time since 2016.

Meanwhile, in Kalamazoo, the Western Michigan football team took down Northern Illinois 28-21, finishing 7-5 and securing their shot at a bowl game after last year’s snubbing.

What do both of these teams have in common? One single person that has defined both teams the past three seasons.

It’s your old pal, P.J. Fleck.

The charismatic former Broncos coach has not necessarily had a smooth couple of years with the Golden Gophers, finishing 5-7 in his first season in Minneapolis, but his team secured bowl eligibility for the first time in his second season. His name is still an enigma to some WMU fans, after his departure from the team after the Broncos’ undefeated regular season and Cotton Bowl berth in 2016. Despite that, Fleck revitalized WMU football with bowl games in all but one season in his tenure, winning the Bahamas Bowl in 2015.

With that common thread, it could be interesting to see both Minnesota and Western Michigan face off in a bowl game against each other.

Don’t laugh. It could happen, and it could be soon.

http://www.westernherald.com/sports/article_50b4c82c-f1cf-11e8-b9ed-e7388717c5e0.html

Go Gophers!!

I know Detroit and WMU would probably like that match up, but I wouldn't. Meh.

I know Detroit and WMU would probably like that match up, but I wouldn't. Meh.

and it's a repeat of just a few years ago, right?

Edit, forgot that was central mich. Close though!

No, that was Ohio....

The ACC has 10 bowl slots, and currently has 10 eligible teams (Virginia Tech would make it 11 with a win over Marshall on Saturday). There is zero chance of a MAC team playing in Detroit.

PJ is gonna take on a whole team by himself? Good luck...

You had to make two threads on the same topic? Boy, you do love attention.

In case you haven't noticed, Bleed posts threads for each individual article related to gopher football. He puts a lot of time into finding these articles, for our benefit. We all greatly appreciate what he does, except, I guess you don't.

Thanks Bleed!

How do you manage to be a member here dating back to 2008 and NOT "get" how it works with the way Bleed adds threads/links to this board? As Word said, it is greatly appreciated and this board is a far better place thanks to the tireless work Bleed does to dig up Gopher-related content. Geez.

How do you manage to be a member here dating back to 2008 and NOT "get" how it works with the way Bleed adds threads/links to this board? As Word said, it is greatly appreciated and this board is a far better place thanks to the tireless work Bleed does to dig up Gopher-related content. Geez.

Totally different situation magpie. Very much in appreciation of Bleed posting this. Keep up the good work Bleed! Don't listen to people like magpie.

May be an interesting storyline for the media but for me it’s the least interesting matchup I’ve seen. I personally don’t care about Western Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a can't win game for us. We lose, we lose and they get vegence. We win and it's our 5th best win of the year.

If we win small it would seem disappointing. If we win large it's the same as Wisconsin or Purdue but Western hates PJ more for leaving.

per the Western Herald:

With their 37-15 win against the Wisconsin Badgers on Saturday, November 24,the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished 6-6 and became bowl eligible for the first time since 2016.

Meanwhile, in Kalamazoo, the Western Michigan football team took down Northern Illinois 28-21, finishing 7-5 and securing their shot at a bowl game after last year’s snubbing.

What do both of these teams have in common? One single person that has defined both teams the past three seasons.

It’s your old pal, P.J. Fleck.

The charismatic former Broncos coach has not necessarily had a smooth couple of years with the Golden Gophers, finishing 5-7 in his first season in Minneapolis, but his team secured bowl eligibility for the first time in his second season. His name is still an enigma to some WMU fans, after his departure from the team after the Broncos’ undefeated regular season and Cotton Bowl berth in 2016. Despite that, Fleck revitalized WMU football with bowl games in all but one season in his tenure, winning the Bahamas Bowl in 2015.

With that common thread, it could be interesting to see both Minnesota and Western Michigan face off in a bowl game against each other.

Don’t laugh. It could happen, and it could be soon.

http://www.westernherald.com/sports/article_50b4c82c-f1cf-11e8-b9ed-e7388717c5e0.html

Go Gophers!!

This would be awesome. I’d love to hear what the WMU players think about F.A.M.I.L.Y. Although when it comes to them PJ didn’t “forget about me”. Quite the opposite, eh?

I'll take any bowl that isn't at Yankee Stadium.

Top Bottom