Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

It's not always the case, but it's not unusual (at all) for upperclassmen walk-on types to be awarded scholarships for just a single season.

The scenario plays out when we have extra scholarships (post attrition) and we go to a player like Schoenfedler or Brock Annexstad, "hey, a scholarship opened up and we'd like to give it to you for the year". It's not uncommon for that to be a one year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Thanks. It is probably a rare thing.

Looking at the 247sports chart posted in this thread, these are the 4th year juniors on scholarship:

Femi-Cole - limited play, is he graduating?
    Brooks - was technically a true senior this year? Regardless, he is coming back as far as I know
    Beebe - coming back? Mostly used as a blocker, at times
    Witham - similar to Beebe, but played less?
    Oseland - per this thread is leaving
    Dovich - graduating
    Delattiboudere - plays a lot, would assume he's coming back
    Renner - has really come on strong this year, unless he has job/career plans he wants to get started on, would assume he's coming back?

The rest are true juniors (meaning they play or played) or transfers (OJ, Royal, Williamson) who play. The true juniors are all starters except Devers ... which is a guy who hasn't done much. But I assume he'll be back.

At most I see 5 guys there, maybe 6 if Renner has other plans.
    Howard was listed on the two-deeps for the last two games as WR and DB. Devers played a decent amount of minutes in most games this year.

Redshirt Juniors Colton Beebe, Jonathan Femi-Cole, Bronson Dovich and Matt Morse all took part in Senior Day activities. The assumption is they will not not be back next season.

Iím new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?

Quote Originally Posted by Donít forget the axe! View Post
    Iím new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?
    What is a blue shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Don’t forget the axe! View Post
    I’m new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?
    Get over yourself.

I’m new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?
    The sites free. Zip it.

Star Tribune comments section is where it's at

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

LOL... you have to wade through a lot of BS from the usual characters on the free board.

Blog Entries

Poor guy has 2 posts to his credit, and the regulars are hammering him.... Tough insider crowd !
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

In 2015 all P5 schools agreed to a rule that a scholarship cannot be pulled/not renewed for athletic reasons. This rule applies to kids that signed as freshman or transfer and awarded a scholarship. The rule does not apply to those signed prior to 2015. I am guessing most of the walk ons will not have their scholarships renewed if needed. Hoping kids transfer out due to lack of playing time is not very realistic in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    In 2015 all P5 schools agreed to a rule that a scholarship cannot be pulled/not renewed for athletic reasons. This rule applies to kids that signed as freshman or transfer and awarded a scholarship. The rule does not apply to those signed prior to 2015. I am guessing most of the walk ons will not have their scholarships renewed if needed. Hoping kids transfer out due to lack of playing time is not very realistic in my opinion.
    The rule I believe was implemented starting with the 2016 class. So a guy like Howard couldn't have his scholarship pulled for athletic reasons, if I'm correct. But a guy in that class who did not have a scholarship as a freshman, is not covered by that same protection. Maybe that's a guy like Swenson, for example?

That doesn't mean they're kicked off the team ... they can still be on the team without a scholarship.

I'd be curious about Ben Davis too. Did he get a scholarship right away out of JUCO? He hasn't done a thing since coming here, and would appear Dunlap is ahead of him at guard. So if he isn't protected from scholarship pulling, then maybe he is a candidate as well.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 12-08-2018 at 10:35 AM.

What real content are you looking for?

There are no games.
    Very few people have actually transferred yet (see thread title).
    The speculation about who from our team will transfer has been covered.
    The announcement of the only really big transfer from the college football world has been covered.

If you're looking for updates about recruiting, those will likely come Sunday evening. People will post things on twitter and scour the 247/Rivals/ESPN's of the world and then pawn off anything they can glean from those as original content or faux-insider information.

Burnsie on the paid board does seem to have a bit of an inside track on the info if you don't want to wait the 18 seconds before it becomes public. I'm not ripping on the people on the pay board, I get it, I love the Gophers and I would like as much content as possible. The premium board does sort of indoctrinate you into a cult of recruiting, so watch out. But you can occasionally find good nuggets. You can occasionally find people reading someone's twitter and mistaking a reaction to Madden as something legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Poor guy has 2 posts to his credit, and the regulars are hammering him.... Tough insider crowd !
    Just wait until he is critical of PJ....

Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Just wait until he is critical of PJ....

Naw, he'll be okay as long as he doesn't proclaim he's on a Crusade; then retire with a pathetic woe-is-me farewell address; and then come bouncing back with his previous passive aggressive sh*t.