2018-2019 transfer board - rumors and announcements

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Not seeing a conversation about this so apologies if there already is one. But, 'tis the season for transfers now that the regular season has reached its end.

Rumors, announcements, etc.

Not just Gophers leaving Dinky Town but other college players leaving their programs as well. Speculation they might become Gophers? Any info?

So far so good. Wouldn't we have heard if there were Gopher transfers by now? Or, I guess it would be more likely to hear about this at the end of the semester, no?

The scholarship numbers would indicate that there would have to be some kids who transfer, which they inevitably will. Happens every year.

So far so good. Wouldn't we have heard if there were Gopher transfers by now? Or, I guess it would be more likely to hear about this at the end of the semester, no?

Could happen at anytime of the year really.

I’d expect them post bowl game

Kelly Bryant committed to Mizzou yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d expect them post bowl game

Would think there probably won't be a ton of player movement but yeah I wouldn't expect to hear much until after the bowl game.

By my calculations, there needs to be at least 10 to accommodate the incoming commits if they all sign. Based on the current activities, sure feels like Fleck is looking to add several more to count towards this class, so the number will have to be higher than 10. Assume they have until the end of the school year to make the needed room.

I counted 70 current scholarship players on the roster for next season. That's including a handful of players you could see moving on.

At 70, they would be 7 over the limit with 22 current commits.

I counted 70 current scholarship players on the roster for next season. That's including a handful of players you could see moving on.

At 70, they would be 7 over the limit with 22 current commits.

I have no idea whether this is accurate: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/, but it shows 82 players on scholarship, with 10 seniors set to depart. If accurate, that would be 72, and would require at least 12 additional departures to facilitate a full class of 25. We already know of a few (Beebe, Dovich) and can guess at many of the rest.

It is possible that of the 10-12 (whatever the number needs to be), some could simply have their scholarships pulled if they decide they want to remain on the team and in school. There are protections now guaranteeing scholarships ... but those were only recently enacted, and the protections don’t apply if a scholarship wasn’t granted during the freshman year.

I have no idea whether this is accurate: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/, but it shows 82 players on scholarship, with 10 seniors set to depart. If accurate, that would be 72, and would require at least 12 additional departures to facilitate a full class of 25. We already know of a few (Beebe, Dovich) and can guess at many of the rest.

Do they still have rule that 3 January enrollees can go toward last year's class?

Do they still have rule that 3 January enrollees can go toward last year's class?

No, or at least, it's not as easy as it used to be.

My basic understanding (and I could be wrong) - you can have 25 initial counters (basically, first-time scholarship recipients) each calendar year. You can apply mid-year (spring) counters to the previous year or the current year, provided you had less than 25 in the previous year.

We signed 25 last year, so we do not have space to apply scholarships back.

Note this does not include walk-ons who have been on campus for at least two years, who are subject to their own rules.

This is what I used as well. There are a few errors but it’s close. I counted out 73 including Smith, then subtracted Norton, Beebe, and Dovich to get to 70.

So what about a guy like Oseland? Will be a fifth year senior next season, didn’t contribute much this year, whereas he did have some contributions as a backup in 2017. Doesn’t look like he has much chance to contribute in 2019, though we will always have an open competition in spring and sometimes guys can surprise you. If he doesn’t show in the spring that he’ll contribute much in 2019, but doesn’t want to transfer or graduate early ... does he “deserve” to keep his scholly? Or should it be pulled to give to a recruit?

So what about a guy like Oseland? Will be a fifth year senior next season, didn’t contribute much this year, whereas he did have some contributions as a backup in 2017. Doesn’t look like he has much chance to contribute in 2019, though we will always have an open competition in spring and sometimes guys can surprise you. If he doesn’t show in the spring that he’ll contribute much in 2019, but doesn’t want to transfer or graduate early ... does he “deserve” to keep his scholly? Or should it be pulled to give to a recruit?

How would this scenario impact 2019 recruiting?

How would this scenario impact 2019 recruiting?

As a 5th year senior, doesn't he already have the hours to graduate? If so, then I imagine his scholarship could be pulled. If for some reason he doesn't have enough credit hours...well, that will get interesting.

Pretty sure he is moving on as he will graduate either this winter or spring. The Gophers always carry SRs/grads off after their last regular season practice and Oseland was in a picture on instagram being carried off.

Pretty sure he is moving on as he will graduate either this winter or spring. The Gophers always carry SRs/grads off after their last regular season practice and Oseland was in a picture on instagram being carried off.

Apologize, I had only seen Dovich mentioned as graduating.

Are there any guys who would be 5th year seniors, not contributors, who WANT to stay for their fifth year rather than graduate in four?

I would assume it's a pretty common practice to ask 5th year guys, who have graduated, to retire and move on from football, if they are not expected to contribute in their 5th year.

I would assume it's a pretty common practice to ask 5th year guys, who have graduated, to retire and move on from football, if they are not expected to contribute in their 5th year.

Yes, that's why before senior day each year everyone goes and looks through the RS JR's on the roster to speculate

Well sure it's probably common to *ask* those guys to move on. If they have the credits to graduate after their fourth year in school, and my understanding is a lot of these guys take summer school and so they often do have the credits, and you're not going to get to play that last year, why wouldn't you?

My question is, are there guys who still decide they want to stay, anyway?

And if there are guys like that, and you need that scholarship for new players coming in, is it "right" to pull their scholarship? I would say so, but just curious if that has even needed to be the case.

Well sure it's probably common to *ask* those guys to move on. If they have the credits to graduate after their fourth year in school, and my understanding is a lot of these guys take summer school and so they often do have the credits, and you're not going to get to play that last year, why wouldn't you?

My question is, are there guys who still decide they want to stay, anyway?

And if there are guys like that, and you need that scholarship for new players coming in, is it "right" to pull their scholarship? I would say so, but just curious if that has even needed to be the case.

First - I'm pretty sure the B1G had a policy for more than 5 years that players that were recruited to scholarships were guaranteed 5 years of scholarship if they RS'd. I remember Kill talking about it several years ago when the NCAA was discussing it (basically said didn't matter since B1G was already doing it). I'm pretty certain the U can't "pull" their scholarship. Obviously there are other ways to get guys to leave, but I don't think that is one of them.

To your question, the one guy I can think of was Moses Alipate. I'm nearly sure he graduated in 4 years and came back for his fifth year anyway, even though he had no chance of playing. I remember thinking there was no way he'd be back for year 5, but there he was. I was questioning why Kill didn't pull his scholly, but again, I believe he couldn't.

First - I'm pretty sure the B1G had a policy for more than 5 years that players that were recruited to scholarships were guaranteed 5 years of scholarship if they RS'd. I remember Kill talking about it several years ago when the NCAA was discussing it (basically said didn't matter since B1G was already doing it). I'm pretty certain the U can't "pull" their scholarship. Obviously there are other ways to get guys to leave, but I don't think that is one of them.

To your question, the one guy I can think of was Moses Alipate. I'm nearly sure he graduated in 4 years and came back for his fifth year anyway, even though he had no chance of playing. I remember thinking there was no way he'd be back for year 5, but there he was. I was questioning why Kill didn't pull his scholly, but again, I believe he couldn't.

Thanks. It is probably a rare thing.

Looking at the 247sports chart posted in this thread, these are the 4th year juniors on scholarship:

Femi-Cole - limited play, is he graduating?
Brooks - was technically a true senior this year? Regardless, he is coming back as far as I know
Beebe - coming back? Mostly used as a blocker, at times
Witham - similar to Beebe, but played less?
Oseland - per this thread is leaving
Dovich - graduating
Delattiboudere - plays a lot, would assume he's coming back
Renner - has really come on strong this year, unless he has job/career plans he wants to get started on, would assume he's coming back?

The rest are true juniors (meaning they play or played) or transfers (OJ, Royal, Williamson) who play. The true juniors are all starters except Devers ... which is a guy who hasn't done much. But I assume he'll be back.

At most I see 5 guys there, maybe 6 if Renner has other plans.

I believe Femi-Cole was part of the senior day introductions so I'm assuming he will leave.

Thanks. It is probably a rare thing.

Looking at the 247sports chart posted in this thread, these are the 4th year juniors on scholarship:

Femi-Cole - limited play, is he graduating?
Brooks - was technically a true senior this year? Regardless, he is coming back as far as I know
Beebe - coming back? Mostly used as a blocker, at times
Witham - similar to Beebe, but played less?
Oseland - per this thread is leaving
Dovich - graduating
Delattiboudere - plays a lot, would assume he's coming back
Renner - has really come on strong this year, unless he has job/career plans he wants to get started on, would assume he's coming back?

The rest are true juniors (meaning they play or played) or transfers (OJ, Royal, Williamson) who play. The true juniors are all starters except Devers ... which is a guy who hasn't done much. But I assume he'll be back.

At most I see 5 guys there, maybe 6 if Renner has other plans.

Assuming those 5-6 do leave the program, we'd need about 4-5 more to leave by the looks of the recruiting class right now. Note: 247 still lists Grant Norton.

Potential candidates:
Phillip Howard (WR, RS Soph) - Minimal playing time, more talented WR coming in this class
Ben Davis (OG, RS Soph) - Minimal playing time, didn't hear his name alot/at all during the season, but we do still want depth on the OL...
Bailey Schoenfelder (ILB, RS Soph) - Minimal Playing time, Didn't hear his name alot, but we look thin at ILB so idk
Calvin Swenson (DB, RS Soph) - Minimal Playing time, but we're thin at DB

Less likely, but still potential
Dominik London (RB, RS FR) - No idea here, but if he's behind Nolan Edmonds, Bryce Williams, and Mohamed Ibrahim right now, he might want to transfer to get playing time
Harry Van Dyne (WR, RS FR) - Again, No idea since he's only been with the team 2 years now, but he appears to be pretty far down on the depth chart, may want to transfer for playing time
Nathan Bursch (TE, RS FR) - Saw no playing time this year when most of the other TE some at least some, Combined with the little use of TE in Fleck's system, might transfer for playing time
Malcolm Robinson (DL, RS Fr) - No playing time, but we might want him for depth
Trenton Guthrie (LB, RS Fr) - No playing time, but we might want him for depth
Grant Ryerse (K/P, RS Fr) - No playing time, but he might still want to compete for the K/P position

These are just some candidates I picked out mainly based on my perception of how much they contributed, I could be very wrong. It does look like we have enough candidates to leave/transfer that we should be good to fill this class.

Assuming those 5-6 do leave the program, we'd need about 4-5 more to leave by the looks of the recruiting class right now. Note: 247 still lists Grant Norton.

Potential candidates:
Phillip Howard (WR, RS Soph) - Minimal playing time, more talented WR coming in this class
Ben Davis (OG, RS Soph) - Minimal playing time, didn't hear his name alot/at all during the season, but we do still want depth on the OL...
Bailey Schoenfelder (ILB, RS Soph) - Minimal Playing time, Didn't hear his name alot, but we look thin at ILB so idk
Calvin Swenson (DB, RS Soph) - Minimal Playing time, but we're thin at DB

Less likely, but still potential
Dominik London (RB, RS FR) - No idea here, but if he's behind Nolan Edmonds, Bryce Williams, and Mohamed Ibrahim right now, he might want to transfer to get playing time
Harry Van Dyne (WR, RS FR) - Again, No idea since he's only been with the team 2 years now, but he appears to be pretty far down on the depth chart, may want to transfer for playing time
Nathan Bursch (TE, RS FR) - Saw no playing time this year when most of the other TE some at least some, Combined with the little use of TE in Fleck's system, might transfer for playing time
Malcolm Robinson (DL, RS Fr) - No playing time, but we might want him for depth
Trenton Guthrie (LB, RS Fr) - No playing time, but we might want him for depth
Grant Ryerse (K/P, RS Fr) - No playing time, but he might still want to compete for the K/P position

These are just some candidates I picked out mainly based on my perception of how much they contributed, I could be very wrong. It does look like we have enough candidates to leave/transfer that we should be good to fill this class.

I know Schoenfelder is on scholarship now but can you confirm that Davis and Swenson are? I'm not 100% sure either way. If they aren't, then obviously their spot on our roster doesn't affect scholarship count at all.

Top Bottom