2018-2019 transfer board - rumors and announcements

It's not always the case, but it's not unusual (at all) for upperclassmen walk-on types to be awarded scholarships for just a single season.

The scenario plays out when we have extra scholarships (post attrition) and we go to a player like Schoenfedler or Brock Annexstad, "hey, a scholarship opened up and we'd like to give it to you for the year". It's not uncommon for that to be a one year thing.

Thanks. It is probably a rare thing.

Looking at the 247sports chart posted in this thread, these are the 4th year juniors on scholarship:

Femi-Cole - limited play, is he graduating?
Brooks - was technically a true senior this year? Regardless, he is coming back as far as I know
Beebe - coming back? Mostly used as a blocker, at times
Witham - similar to Beebe, but played less?
Oseland - per this thread is leaving
Dovich - graduating
Delattiboudere - plays a lot, would assume he's coming back
Renner - has really come on strong this year, unless he has job/career plans he wants to get started on, would assume he's coming back?

The rest are true juniors (meaning they play or played) or transfers (OJ, Royal, Williamson) who play. The true juniors are all starters except Devers ... which is a guy who hasn't done much. But I assume he'll be back.

At most I see 5 guys there, maybe 6 if Renner has other plans.

Howard was listed on the two-deeps for the last two games as WR and DB. Devers played a decent amount of minutes in most games this year.

Redshirt Juniors Colton Beebe, Jonathan Femi-Cole, Bronson Dovich and Matt Morse all took part in Senior Day activities. The assumption is they will not not be back next season.

I’m new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?

I’m new to this, but why is every thread about the same thing being restated over and over again. Scholarship numbers, grey/red/blue shirt etc. Where can I find real content?

What is a blue shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget the axe!;1651903 said:

Get over yourself.

The sites free. Zip it.

Star Tribune comments section is where it's at

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

LOL... you have to wade through a lot of BS from the usual characters on the free board.

Poor guy has 2 posts to his credit, and the regulars are hammering him.... Tough insider crowd !

In 2015 all P5 schools agreed to a rule that a scholarship cannot be pulled/not renewed for athletic reasons. This rule applies to kids that signed as freshman or transfer and awarded a scholarship. The rule does not apply to those signed prior to 2015. I am guessing most of the walk ons will not have their scholarships renewed if needed. Hoping kids transfer out due to lack of playing time is not very realistic in my opinion.

In 2015 all P5 schools agreed to a rule that a scholarship cannot be pulled/not renewed for athletic reasons. This rule applies to kids that signed as freshman or transfer and awarded a scholarship. The rule does not apply to those signed prior to 2015. I am guessing most of the walk ons will not have their scholarships renewed if needed. Hoping kids transfer out due to lack of playing time is not very realistic in my opinion.

The rule I believe was implemented starting with the 2016 class. So a guy like Howard couldn't have his scholarship pulled for athletic reasons, if I'm correct. But a guy in that class who did not have a scholarship as a freshman, is not covered by that same protection. Maybe that's a guy like Swenson, for example?

That doesn't mean they're kicked off the team ... they can still be on the team without a scholarship.

I'd be curious about Ben Davis too. Did he get a scholarship right away out of JUCO? He hasn't done a thing since coming here, and would appear Dunlap is ahead of him at guard. So if he isn't protected from scholarship pulling, then maybe he is a candidate as well.

Last edited:

What real content are you looking for?

There are no games.
Very few people have actually transferred yet (see thread title).
The speculation about who from our team will transfer has been covered.
The announcement of the only really big transfer from the college football world has been covered.

If you're looking for updates about recruiting, those will likely come Sunday evening. People will post things on twitter and scour the 247/Rivals/ESPN's of the world and then pawn off anything they can glean from those as original content or faux-insider information.

Burnsie on the paid board does seem to have a bit of an inside track on the info if you don't want to wait the 18 seconds before it becomes public. I'm not ripping on the people on the pay board, I get it, I love the Gophers and I would like as much content as possible. The premium board does sort of indoctrinate you into a cult of recruiting, so watch out. But you can occasionally find good nuggets. You can occasionally find people reading someone's twitter and mistaking a reaction to Madden as something legit.

Poor guy has 2 posts to his credit, and the regulars are hammering him.... Tough insider crowd !

Just wait until he is critical of PJ....

Naw, he'll be okay as long as he doesn't proclaim he's on a Crusade; then retire with a pathetic woe-is-me farewell address; and then come bouncing back with his previous passive aggressive sh*t.

This is a bit, right?

PJ has been criticized more than any 2nd year Gopher coach ever.

Naw, he'll be okay as long as he doesn't proclaim he's on a Crusade;

Not even sure how to reply to someone that can’t remember who proclaimed something when it was them that proclaimed it. You are a treasure.

PJ has been criticized more than any 2nd year Gopher coach ever.

I’m not sure how that has anything to do with the point made?

One thing about Fermi-Cole leaving is that as a Canadian he might get a shot at the CFL. The CFL restricts the number of American players on a teams roster, so for American players, it's often either be a starter or hit the road.

I get it, trust me, I do. How many times can others continue to talk in circles over and over again about nothing?

Your 3rd post and 2 of them on the same complaint. You are fitting in just fine.

Who has been criticized more than PJ? In year 2? He was just named turkey of the year after going 6-6 and beating Wisconsin.

Well, yeah, by Reusse.

On this board, almost no one. There is a collective hissy fit if anyone has the audacity to even say anything that wouldn't be perceived as slightly glowing.

Brewster won it in his third year (middle of a 6-6 (3-5) season).
2016 the entire athletic department got it (including Claeys).

As far as on this board, what was the poll - - - 1055 - 5 on people that wanted PJ fired?
Look at the post-game threads, largely positive for a program at our level.

In my entire life, watching college football, I don't know if I have ever seen a second year coach with PJ's level of success at his current job have this much support. Ever. I am part of it, I like PJ.

But this board has gone insane with the idea that PJ is somehow getting a ton of scrutiny. He's not. It's ok that he's not, but my god, it's the most positive board I've ever seen considering the state of the program.

Naw, he'll be okay as long as he doesn't proclaim he's on a Crusade; then retire with a pathetic woe-is-me farewell address; and then come bouncing back with his previous passive aggressive sh*t.

+1000000

Who has been criticized more than PJ? In year 2? He was just named turkey of the year after going 6-6 and beating Wisconsin.

He was named Turkey of the Year before going 6-6.
And the guy that named him that hates his guts.

Yeah, so incredibly different for Reusse to take a pot shot at a Gopher coach. There are plenty who disagree with him - always happens. There are plenty to don't like him, which he himself admits is to be expected given his schtick (and yeah, even if it is authentic, it's still his schtick). There are a few dunderheads who were calling for his head, but there have been people calling for the head of any head coach at any school at all times, with few exceptions.

There are people, myself included, who believe he's under performed (make a switch to a simply adequate DC saved our season. Who knows how much better we'd have been last year and this if we'd had someone with any capability at DC, but I digress) and have second guessed his decisions - if you think that's rare or unusual for a coach in year two at this or any school, you haven't been paying attention.

PJ has gotten criticism, but no where near as bad as for Brewster from DAY ONE (and honestly deservedly so, he never should have been hired), and he's earned most of the criticism he's gotten. As someone pointed out only the most ridiculous rabble rousers voted to oust him when one of the flecktites tried to document just how unfairly PJ Fleck has been treated. The only really over the top stuff I've seen on this board regarding PJ Fleck is anyone that can't look at some of what's gone on since he took over with a critical eye. The constant need to fluff PJ up and constantly fixate on Claeys has come from the most ardent of the flecktites. You've not been one of those, but you're getting there. PJ's a big boy playing in a big sandbox. He'll succeed on his merit, not on what someone says on a message board. Whether everyone things he's the greatest showman on earth or the next Darryl Hazel. Just relax.

Top Bottom