2018-2019 transfer board - rumors and announcements

So, redshirt freshmen who didn't play this year? Certainly, but the key is do they have a scholarship now and under what context? For example, I know a certain brother of a certain player this year was given a scholarship, even though that player can't be awarded one until next year .... but I doubt very much that player (the brother with the scholarship currently) will get to keep if *IF* that scholarship turns out to be needed for a new recruit.

But if the scholarship was given in 2017 (as a freshmen), then it can't be taken away for athletic reasons. The player has to make the decision to move on. And I would think no one is going to quit after just their second year. Would think most will at least give it a chance this coming spring and the fall after that.

Most would transfer after year 1 or 2 if they are going to transfer.

I would also keep looking at the 2017 recruiting class. I question whether some of those players would have been recruited if the staff would have had more time.

I would imagine half of the class wouldn't have been recruited if PJ had more than a month.

Most would transfer after year 1 or 2 if they are going to transfer.

Because ... ?

If they have a scholarship, enjoy being on the team, enjoy the school ... why leave after 1 or 2 years?? Sometimes kids just need time to adapt to the complexity of college schemes, get bigger, etc.

Because ... ?

If they have a scholarship, enjoy being on the team, enjoy the school ... why leave after 1 or 2 years?? Sometimes kids just need time to adapt to the complexity of college schemes, get bigger, etc.

I don't disagree, but for a number of reasons.

Easier to transfer before declaring a major.
Still have 3-4 years to play.
Most know if they are going to play in that first 1-2 years.
Transfer later and your new team has little incentive to play you unless you are a game changer. Might hurt their own recruiting or program.

I don't disagree, but for a number of reasons.

Easier to transfer before declaring a major.
Still have 3-4 years to play.
Most know if they are going to play in that first 1-2 years.
Transfer later and your new team has little incentive to play you unless you are a game changer. Might hurt their own recruiting or program.

I see ... maybe you're thinking in terms of transferring from Minnesota to another P5.

In that sense, what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking more like transferring down to a lower division, and playing right away. In that case, would be a game changer.

I would imagine half of the class wouldn't have been recruited if PJ had more than a month.

More than half of the class has seen significant playing time (i.e., non-garbage time) in their first two seasons.

Yeah, quite a few from the 2017 class have played or start. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2017-Football/Commits/

There are a few guys who aren't on the roster anymore. The ones still on who haven't played much, I guess are just kinda stuck behind other guys right now. For example, JM Schmitz will have a big spring coming up to try to earn the starting Center job with Weyler graduating.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was expecting to see some transfers being announced post-Bowl game.

Quiet so far?

Well if we expect to be able to actually have scholarships for the 21 that signed in Dec, plus whomever else they sign by Feb (or other transfers) ... they better start “convincing” some more players to move on ...

I guess you can never have too many quality options at QB but I would be surprised to see him end up here. Seems like he would want to go somewhere where he won't have much competition to beat out.

Buffalo is where he didn't have much competition. Every Top 25 school has good qb's in the hopper, that's why they are top 25. But he'll look for somewhere he can start and make waves headed towards the draft. Fleck did like him, so who knows. But it would kind of send a message to the other QBs that I'm not sure Fleck is ready to send, even if this would be an upgrade.

Well if we expect to be able to actually have scholarships for the 21 that signed in Dec, plus whomever else they sign by Feb (or other transfers) ... they better start “convincing” some more players to move on ...

Don't you think maybe the staff knows something you don't?

Fleck openly said that they saved 2-3 scholarships. I think he might be plugged in a bit more than we are. I know you would love for him to share everyone's personal information before they announce it, but that's not how this works.

We'll have room, if we don't find grad transfers that make sense, more walk-ons will get them.

What's the deal with grad transfers? Do they have a year of eligibility left at their previous school? Can they stay at that school or do they have to transfer to play an additional year?

Don't you think maybe the staff knows something you don't?

Fleck openly said that they saved 2-3 scholarships. I think he might be plugged in a bit more than we are. I know you would love for him to share everyone's personal information before they announce it, but that's not how this works.

We'll have room, if we don't find grad transfers that make sense, more walk-ons will get them.

I don’t follow recruiting that much but I too find it funny when fans freak out about scholarship counts. I’d guess just because a message board fan can’t figure out the math doesn’t mean the coaches can’t.

What's the deal with grad transfers? Do they have a year of eligibility left at their previous school? Can they stay at that school or do they have to transfer to play an additional year?

They have a year left but have graduated undergrad.
They can play at the current school while enrolled in graduate or more undergraduate credits.

Or since they are graduated they can transfer to another school with immediate eligibility if the new school has a program not offered by their current school. (This is the intent). Some grad transfers actually do transfer to graduate school reasons.
Higher profile ones take advantage of these rules for football reasons.

I personally like the rule.

I guess this really isn't a transfer but didn't want to start a new thread for it. But former Florida State QB, 'Last Chance U' Star Malik Henry Commits to Nevada as a walk-on. Hopefully the kid has grown up since the 2017 season was covered on the show. From what I saw, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my program even if it is just as a walk-on.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814812-former-florida-state-qb-last-chance-u-star-malik-henry-commits-to-nevada

Crazy how far he's fallen.

Crazy how far he's fallen.

Lots of guys out there fall far.

A dude went to Oregon, spent one day on campus and then just went home ... did some gang stuff right away and it's just over.

Dude was right there and walked away.....

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom