Somebody screwed up big time with the band

When did Sid have the Axe? He's ornery enough not to give it up when he's supposed to.

I really wish the athletic department would address this. Because it sure seems like it could have been at both events. I'm starting to get the feeling that the athletic department was simply too lazy....and yes.....snubbed the band. That's bull$hit and it should be cleared up.

Wild guess: athletic dept simply did not want to put more than zero energy into looking at the logistics of moving the axe back and forth. They cared only about the USB appearance.

Wild guess: athletic dept simply did not want to put more than zero energy into looking at the logistics of moving the axe back and forth. They cared only about the USB appearance.
Wild guess: G4l's guess is dead on.

It's a sad guess....but it's the most likely at this point. And it wouldn't surprise me to see this athletic department bungle something so simple.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That would be consistent with my experiences with the department. Their fan relations are very weak when compared to the wild or twins. With the U's department, they seem to feel like they have the right to the customers they have, and that the people who don't buy tickets aren't good enough fans. The wild and twins act like it's a privilege to have the fans they do, and will do whatever they can to earn repeat business. The band is 300+ people who will soon graduate, and have families, and will have an obvious connection to the football team, so the U should look at them as a great opportunity for future season ticket holders.

The axe at Vikings game lets it get coverage with Thielen and Sherels and curling guys on all the Vikings social media and can get talked about on TV. That reaches the whole Vikings social media audience and possibly the TV audience. The marching band concert reaches what, 200 people? And likely nobody even cares about it on social media? Saw the editorial yesterday in paper, seems really stupid anyone's making a big deal about it. Band didn't play football

Like others have mentioned....the band spends countless hours preparing and participating in Gopher football games. I bet if they stopped showing up, you'd have a different attitude towards whether they played or not. The band is part of what makes the college football experience way cooler than the NFL IMO. So I appreciate the time that they put in.

That said....between the two events....if at the same time....you go with the exposure at the Vikings game....no question. But that wasn't even close to the case. They could have paraded the AXE around for 15-20 minutes near the beginning of the concert and been to the stadium with hours to spare. Something doesn't smell right.

That'd be so cool if Cashman landed with the Vikings.

I bet if they stopped showing up, you'd have a different attitude towards whether they played or not.
I also appreciate their effort, but I'll be at the games whether the band is there or not. It is an athletic department trophy, let the athletic department handle it.

It was dumb of the athletic department to not allow the Axe at the band concert and I'm guessing it was just too much of an inconvenience for them. Perhaps someone already had a little personal party already planned to show it off. Someone suggested perhaps it could go to the banquet, which might actually work out better for the band kids as far as an opportunity for photos. It's been my experience that if you're in the band, there is a good chance you are going to be a lifetime Gopher football fan. I'm amazed at the number of people I encounter at the games that were in the marching band.

I like the band and I wish it could have been possible, but there really wasn't that much time.

I don't know how to embed tweets (and I don't care to learn), but the video of them bringing the axe through security is at 3:39 PM.

The Vikings and US Bank probably had to get everyone passes, had to set up and coordinate how the axe would be shown to the stadium, etc. I'm not saying it SHOULD take this long, but I know it does take this long with these kinds of things. It's a whole thing. It wasn't a conspiracy to withhold the axe from the band. It likely wasn't even the Athletic Department not giving a damn. I'm guessing the Vikings said "yeah, be here no later than 3:30 or 4:00 and we'll set everything up."

This is a non-issue.

People mention that the Jug & Pig were at previous concerts.

Those trophies were won weeks before the concert. The Athletic Department probably has internal events for staff & donors the day after the trophy is won, and that schedule is probably set.

Maybe the UMMB & Athletic Bands should be moved to joint control between Music & Athletic so schedules can be better coordinated to things like this.

People mention that the Jug & Pig were at previous concerts.

Those trophies were won weeks before the concert. The Athletic Department probably has internal events for staff & donors the day after the trophy is won, and that schedule is probably set.

Maybe the UMMB & Athletic Bands should be moved to joint control between Music & Athletic so schedules can be better coordinated to things like this.

Exactly, there was likely an event with far more important and financial influencial people than the 200 in the band and the 1500 in attendance at the concert to go to after the Vikings.

Top Bottom