Somebody screwed up big time with the band

READ THE LETTER AND THEN STOP THIS NONSENSE.

The letter clearly states that the band wanted it for the CONCERT that night which was 7-9 pm. (not 2pm like some poster says). That is when the axe was at USBank. End of discussion. It was already committed to the Vikings game.

Apologies to the Athletes Department are dully accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Shocked face*

READ THE LETTER AND THEN STOP THIS NONSENSE.

The letter clearly states that the band wanted it for the CONCERT that night which was 7-9 pm. (not 2pm like some poster says). That is when the axe was at USBank. End of discussion. It was already committed to the Vikings game.

Apologies to the Athletes Department are dully accepted!

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

"The Marching Band had a second concert on Sunday and requested that the Axe be presented at the concert."

https://www.tickets.umn.edu/northro...&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

UMN Marching Band

U OF M SCHOOL OF MUSIC PRESENTS
57TH ANNUAL MARCHING BAND INDOOR CONCERT
2018-19 Northrop Season

Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Apologies from you to everyone "dully" accepted, whatever that means.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

"The Marching Band had a second concert on Sunday and requested that the Axe be presented at the concert."

https://www.tickets.umn.edu/northro...&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

UMN Marching Band

U OF M SCHOOL OF MUSIC PRESENTS
57TH ANNUAL MARCHING BAND INDOOR CONCERT
2018-19 Northrop Season

Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Apologies from you to everyone "dully" accepted, whatever that means.

Dully noted.

I hope this kerfuffle settles down soon, I don't want it to hurt the chances that I can have the ax made available for my birthday party in July.

Wc21X5-aoecAgB35g-PVNzPtPnMk6CKy68mjsMrAZ7I.gif
Is that a call on the WTF?
6ce3fae2ba9684a446774065b1edc57d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don’t care

It was explained to me once that if you don't care about what's being discussed in a thread, you cannot leave a comment saying you don't care. We must leave space in these threads for comments that really matter in life, I guess....I dunno...whatever.

I hope this kerfuffle settles down soon, I don't want it to hurt the chances that I can have the ax made available for my birthday party in July.

My fear is that the band will be so upset by this that they will refuse to play at Gopher football games again. Ever.

Only in Minnesota would someone write a letter to the editor and complain about this.

The axe will be residing at the U of M campus for at least the next year. There will be plenty of opportunities around campus for the axe.

Sunday night was a perfect opportunity to bring that axe to US Bank Stadium prior to the other border battle...65,000 fans, Packers-Vikings, National TV, Sunday Night Football....You would think the national exposure would only help the program.

You don't have that opportunity in Madison, Lincoln, or Iowa City...

Only in Minnesota would someone write a letter to the editor and complain about this.

The axe will be residing at the U of M campus for at least the next year. There will be plenty of opportunities around campus for the axe.

Sunday night was a perfect opportunity to bring that axe to US Bank Stadium prior to the other border battle...65,000 fans, Packers-Vikings, National TV, Sunday Night Football....You would think the national exposure would only help the program.

You don't have that opportunity in Madison, Lincoln, or Iowa City...
But... but... it demeans the University Community. [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You know it’s almoat like they made a commitment and wanted to make sure it went off without a hitch or something

It was explained to me once that if you don't care about what's being discussed in a thread, you cannot leave a comment saying you don't care. We must leave space in these threads for comments that really matter in life, I guess....I dunno...whatever.

Is it ignorance or ambivalence? I don't know and I don't care.

You know it’s almoat like they made a commitment and wanted to make sure it went off without a hitch or something

I know I've questioned the department's competence in the past, but even I have faith in their ability to get from campus to downtown Minneapolis in less than several hours.

Typical of the U. Disrespectful to the group that works the hardest to make the atmosphere at TCF special. Very few of the drunk Vikings fans give a rip or even know what it is or means.

This video seems to indicate otherwise

Typical of the U. Disrespectful to the group that works the hardest to make the atmosphere at TCF special. Very few of the drunk Vikings fans give a rip or even know what it is or means.

A lot of people root for more than one team. Crazy that I’m a fan of both teams since football doesn’t allow that.

I think most Vikings fans know what the Axe is. I doubt many 2nd clarinets from outside of Peoria, Illinois do...or, did.

But, I hear ya. The U of M band is awesome and deserves more recognition than they get. My son is in drum line in high school and the U of M is his top choice for college. Out of curiosity he grabbed some info. on the marching band, saw the time commitment, and said "no way". It's about 2 hours per day, 5-6 days a week. Their time and commitment is greatly appreciated and I am in awe.

Maybe The Axe was exhausted from all the traveling and celebrating going on from end of game to Sunday morning and the person in the athletic department assigned as caretaker thought it best to let it rest before heading to US Bank

Perhaps in the home opener next year, when players try to take the field, to get even, the marching band will refuse to yield.

Perhaps in the home opener next year, when players try to take the field, to get even, the marching band will refuse to yield.

Well done

It was explained to me once that if you don't care about what's being discussed in a thread, you cannot leave a comment saying you don't care. <b>We must leave space in these threads for comments that really matter in life, </b>I guess....I dunno...whatever.

Wait! What? That is a memo I never got.

Maybe if we win the axe year in and year out it will not be a big deal.

Should have been able to display the axe at the concert for a short while. The band gives much of it time to help the athletic department. 20 minutes of time in return? Oh heck no.
Common sense. Not complaining. Yes this was screwed up big time.

How about this for a controversial post... I would be more than happy with a quick 15 minute halftime and it would be refreshing to see a different halftime show vs. a band show every game.

A lot of people root for more than one team. Crazy that I’m a fan of both teams since football doesn’t allow that.
Correct. Insane to assume that a bunch of Vikings fans are not also Gophers fans.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Only going to post this once. These are the facts that I know of as were spoken to me on Sunday afternoon.

The band director reached out to the Athletic Department Saturday night requesting to have the Axe at the 2PM (yes, 2PM concert on SUNDAY.)

She was told that it was already committed to the Vikings game.

Naturally, she pushed back, noting the start time of the Vikings game was at 7:20PM - a full three hours after the band concert ended, plus the fact that they had close to 200 band members show up at the axe welcoming rally. (Important to note that attendance at this was not a required thing for any of the band members - each band member chose to be there.)

She was told it was not possible, and that the axe was to be at US Bank Stadium all afternoon in preparation for the Vikings game.

By the way, they fully understand why the team wanted the axe to be at US Bank stadium, and if the events were at the same time then they would have been fine with it. But that was obviously not the case.

I am not sure if she has received any further explanation as to why it couldn't be at the concert, but I can share with you that the band staff (at least on Sunday afternoon) was quite miffed and perplexed as to why the axe couldn't make it to both events on Sunday. My interpretation of that was that they were not given a good reason why it couldn't be at the concert or else that would have been shared.

Finally, PJ Fleck had absolutely zero involvement in any of these decisions.

Last edited:

Only going to post this once. These are the facts that I know of as were spoken to me on Sunday afternoon.

The band director reached out to the Athletic Department Saturday night requesting to have the Axe at the 2PM (yes, 2PM concert on SUNDAY.)

She was told that it was already committed to the Vikings game.

Naturally, she pushed back, noting the start time of the Vikings game was at 7:20PM - a full three hours after the band concert ended, plus the fact that they had close to 200 band members show up at the axe welcoming rally. (Important to note that attendance at this was not a required thing for any of the band members - each band member chose to be there.)

She was told it was not possible, and that the axe was to be at US Bank Stadium all afternoon in preparation for the Vikings game.

By the way, they fully understand why the team wanted the axe to be at US Bank stadium, and if the events were at the same time then they would have been fine with it. But that was obviously not the case.

I am not sure if she has received any further explanation as to why it couldn't be at the concert, but I can share with you that the band staff (at least on Sunday afternoon) was quite miffed and perplexed as to why the axe couldn't make it to both events on Sunday. My interpretation of that was that they were not given a good reason why it couldn't be at the concert or else that would have been shared.

Finally, PJ Fleck had absolutely zero involvement in any of these decisions.

I'd say the band should request it at their banquet then, So the band members can take pictures with it and stuff. Heck, get PJ involved. He likes the band, and I'm sure he'd be able to push the athletics department to let it happen.

I'd say the band should request it at their banquet then, So the band members can take pictures with it and stuff. Heck, get PJ involved. He likes the band, and I'm sure he'd be able to push the athletics department to let it happen.

I'm sure if it was up to PJ it would be there. He genuinely likes the band. He loves the band's energy - which is not surprising. That was always something I appreciated about Mason, too. He would stop by and talk to the band at least once a year, and really enjoyed directing the rouser. He actually did a somewhat decent job of it too.

Top Bottom