Somebody screwed up big time with the band

Band director says they couldn't make it happen. Kid in the band tells his mom. Mom tells the kid's Grandma. Grandma tells Grandpa. Grandpa writes a letter to the paper. You don't think the story could have changed a bit in that whole process?

That might have happened ... but again we don't know who the guy is who wrote the paper. Hence my googling his name comment.

because PJ Fleck (who was out of state and we don't know was even contacted) said no (also unknown)

No, it didn't claim PJ said no ... it claimed the athletic dept said no.

Granted, that could've been as simple as an email exchange between the assistant band director and some athletic dept office staffer ...

That might have happened ... but again we don't know who the guy is who wrote the paper. Hence my googling his name comment.

Luckily nobody has linked the article so I have no idea what it is talking about

You seem very upset. There are any number of reasons why logistics didn't allow the Axe to be there, and I'm guessing you don't know any other details or you would have offered them. Don't be outraged unless there's reason to be outraged. I hope the concert went well.

Who said I was outrage? Someone said Spoofin was upset. Why make things up? I just said someone screwed up and I believe that. We know that someone from the Gopher staff reads these posts. I would like someone from the staff to respond accordingly. Is that asking too much?

Luckily nobody has linked the article so I have no idea what it is talking about

Here ya go

http://www.startribune.com/readers-...f-the-axe-who-isn-t-breathing-free/501287021/

PJ Fleck and the U Athletic Department:

On Saturday, the University of Minnesota Marching Band had tech rehearsals for its indoor concerts from 9 to noon. The students preformed their concert from 7 to 9:30 that evening. After their very long day, 200 Marching Band members went the extra mile and greeted the football team and the return of the Axe, when the team returned late Saturday night. The Marching Band had a second concert on Sunday and requested that the Axe be presented at the concert. The Athletic Department said NO. And you ask why your fan base is not supportive!

David Trembley, Minneapolis

Well that could be a made up name, for anonymity. We will never know, I guess

At the risk of doxing an individual, there is a David Trembley who studied music at the University of Minnesota (potentially many years ago) according to social media. If someone is using a fake identity, they chose their pen name really poorly.

My research tells me he was goldy gopher at some point in the late 1970s

https://cla.umn.edu/music/ensembles-creative-work/marching-band/history-traditions/goldy-gopher

w39lExI.gif

There you go, that was easy enough. Sure, the email writer could've just grabbed a random name ... but it probably was Dave, and he probably did have legit info that a request was made to the athletic dept, and it was denied.

Doesn't mean the denial was invalid or in poor taste.

Why does that mean he has legit info? That's like saying Jim Carter knows the inner workings of every football hire since the 70s.

He's a graduate from the 70s who really, really likes music and maybe the Gophers. From the Strib a few years ago...

FUNDRAISING

Guess it depends on how much you want it

Recently University of Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague boldly proclaimed that the school is about to embark on a mission to raise $190 million dollars in an attempt to save its athletic programs (“Pricey plan for Gophers athletics,” July 11). Meanwhile, on the other side of the city, the board of directors of the Minnesota Orchestra Association (some of the most powerful, wealthiest, influential and best-connected people in the state) are telling us they can’t raise enough money to save the 110-year-old, world-class orchestra because of a bad economy.

DAVID TREMBLEY, Minneapolis

You're right, it's not correct to assume he has legit info. I guess we'll never know, unless he wants to make an appearance on here and explain himself.

Were there 3,500 Gopher fans in the crowd at US Bank Stadium?

It does seem rather petty to not share the Axe at both venues. Especially at a matching band concert.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep. When we had Floyd and the Jug, both were at the indoor concert set up so you could have photos taken with them.

Who said I was outrage? Someone said Spoofin was upset. Why make things up? I just said someone screwed up and I believe that. We know that someone from the Gopher staff reads these posts. I would like someone from the staff to respond accordingly. Is that asking too much?

Well, you put "What did they get in return of that? NOTHING." in all caps like you were yelling, which seems to indicate being upset. My apologies - maybe you're just one of those loud talkers.

Well, you put "What did they get in return of that? NOTHING." in all caps like you were yelling, which seems to indicate being upset. My apologies - maybe you're just one of those loud talkers.

No not a loud talker. Just empathizing a point. Don't assume, put it out there etc. That causes more issues. Ok Urbandale?

Typical of the U. Disrespectful to the group that works the hardest to make the atmosphere at TCF special. Very few of the drunk Vikings fans give a rip or even know what it is or means.

There you go, that was easy enough. Sure, the email writer could've just grabbed a random name ... but it probably was Dave, and he probably did have legit info that a request was made to the athletic dept, and it was denied.

Doesn't mean the denial was invalid or in poor taste.
Why does being goldy in the 70s mean you have legit info?

I’d say we still have no idea

Wow....6 pages based off a single paragraph with no specific information at all. Request was made and apparently denied almost certainly with more information then just the word no.

The implication from the author is that the athletic department is intentionally trying to spite the poor hard working band members by not letting the Axe be at their concert. What would the athletic department gain from that? They want to show off the Axe so if they couldn't get it to the concert there almost certainly has to be a reason for it.

I think the only thing we can really do at this point is send someone to Coyle's office to get to the bottom of this....we need to know....why would they do this....what do they have against the band.....

6 pages....must be a slow news day... :)

Wow....6 pages based off a single paragraph with no specific information at all. Request was made and apparently denied almost certainly with more information then just the word no.

The implication from the author is that the athletic department is intentionally trying to spite the poor hard working band members by not letting the Axe be at their concert. What would the athletic department gain from that? They want to show off the Axe so if they couldn't get it to the concert there almost certainly has to be a reason for it.

I think the only thing we can really do at this point is send someone to Coyle's office to get to the bottom of this....we need to know....why would they do this....what do they have against the band.....

6 pages....must be a slow news day... :)

Every day is a slow news day until the bowls are announced.

Is it possible, and this is maybe a stretch...but is David Trembley friends with AJ Barker's mom?

Top Bottom