Somebody screwed up big time with the band

But it also just goes to show that a lack of transparency only pisses people off and makes them create their own story. If the AD had simply told the band director why the axe couldn't be there, probably the letter to the editor never gets written.

Maybe he did. This is an editorial from a third party, not from someone working for or representing the band.

Maybe the person who engraved the score on the handle only had an opening at 2PM on Sunday.

The Gopher football Instagram did post a video of them painting the scores on Sunday mid-day or so (Can't find the exact time on the instagram post), could have been during the indoor concert.

But....but....but....it is so much easier to be outraged and assume there is an evil intent behind it. Until someone can come out and prove they did it just to spite the band I am going to continue working under the assumption that there was probably a good reason why they couldn't honor the request.

So working under an assumption is bad for others and good for you? Not particularly consistent.

If the AD had simply told the band director why the axe couldn't be there, probably the letter to the editor never gets written.

Maybe he did, and the letter to the editor was still written? Sometimes people won't take no for an answer. And I am no Coyle fan...

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

It went to the Vikings game instead.

<b>3,500 at Northrop vs 64K at US Bank - where would you go with The Axe?</b>

Northrop - and the decision is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps. You have 200 members of a "loyal marching band" who gives their heart and soul to the program by practicing, performing, and giving of their time particularly on the day the football team arrived home late at night. What did they get in return of that? NOTHING. You think the team could have contributed 20 minutes?

You seem very upset. There are any number of reasons why logistics didn't allow the Axe to be there, and I'm guessing you don't know any other details or you would have offered them. Don't be outraged unless there's reason to be outraged. I hope the concert went well.

Below is a letter to the editor in today's Minneapolis paper.

• • PJ Fleck and the U Athletic Department: On Saturday, the University of Minnesota Marching Band had tech rehearsals for its indoor concerts from 9 to noon. The students preformed their concert from 7 to 9:30 that evening. After their very long day, 200 Marching Band members went the extra mile and greeted the football team and the return of the Axe, when the team returned late Saturday night. The Marching Band had a second concert on Sunday and requested that the Axe be presented at the concert. The Athletic Department said NO. And you ask why your fan base is not supportive! DAVID TREMBLEY, Minneapolis

Who from the band requested to who?
Why were they turned down?

Wrong. U.S. Bank Stadium. That's the easy decision.

One is on campus, is a University function, and involves UofM students and families. The other is a professional sporting event that has zero to do with the University and just happens to be in the same State.

Maybe he did, and the letter to the editor was still written? Sometimes people won't take no for an answer. And I am no Coyle fan...

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
Maybe it wasn’t even talked about by the directors?
Maybe it was some trumpet player emailing the AD

I have no idea. Letters to the editor pages shouldn’t ever be taken too seriously. At best your getting one side of a story. At worst it is not even true.

Maybe the person who engraved the score on the handle only had an opening at 2PM on Sunday.

Nope. That was done at 11:51 Sunday morning.
[URL="[/URL]

One is on campus, is a University function, and involves UofM students and families. The other is a professional sporting event that has zero to do with the University and just happens to be in the same State.

You two are currently fighting about a decision that may or may not have ever been made.

Just fyi

Maybe he did. This is an editorial from a third party, not from someone working for or representing the band.

It is possible this letter is the first time the AD heard about the request

Maybe it wasn’t even talked about by the directors?
Maybe it was some trumpet player emailing the AD

I have no idea. Letters to the editor pages shouldn’t ever be taken too seriously. At best your getting one side of a story. At worst it is not even true.

I could take it even further and say whoever they emailed didn't even read the email until Monday morning and that turned into them saying no. All speculation of course but that's the point.

Do we know that? Did we even google the guys name? Maybe he has a kid, nephew, etc. in the band ... how would he hear about it otherwise?

I took a wild guess, that could well be wrong, that if the AD had given a reason for why it couldn't be there, there would be less angst. Maybe not, as Word said.

You two are currently fighting about a decision that may or may not have ever been made.

Just fyi

Who’s fighting?
I answered a question raised in the second post. Someone disagreed. I explained my reasoning. Seems like a fairly reasonable exchange for a message board.

I could take it even further and say whoever they emailed didn't even read the email until Monday morning and that turned into them saying no. All speculation of course but that's the point.

May have been a tuba player suggesting it to a band director and the band director didn’t want it there so didn’t even ask. Meanwhile tuba players mom writes to the media.

Who’s fighting?
I answered a question raised in the second post. Someone disagreed. I explained my reasoning. Seems like a fairly reasonable exchange for a message board.

Are you going to be okay that I wrote that?
You seem pretty defensive?

Trying to get support for the university (that is constantly bashed by the local media) and it's an opportunity to rub it in some more on the sconnie fans. You don't think the Vikes fans loved that? Exposure, exposure, exposure. National media attention.

Easy decision. The band will have plenty of functions in which the Axe can make an appearance. And like others have said....it probably wasn't even a conflict with Vikes game that caused it.

It's not like the band never saw the axe.... they were there the night they brought it home.

May have been a tuba player suggesting it to a band director and the band director didn’t want it there so didn’t even ask. Meanwhile tuba players mom writes to the media.

No self respecting tuba player would do that. I suspect french horn.

This is possibly the dumbest thread I've ever read. That's saying a lot!

People are getting upset because the Axe (which we don't know if it was legitimately available) wasn't at a concert (that we don't know wanted it there) because PJ Fleck (who was out of state and we don't know was even contacted) said no (also unknown) all because someone wrote it in a letter to the editor (who we don't know if they have any inside knowledge whatsoever)?

WTF?

Do we know that? Did we even google the guys name? Maybe he has a kid, nephew, etc. in the band ... how would he hear about it otherwise?

I took a wild guess, that could well be wrong, that if the AD had given a reason for why it couldn't be there, there would be less angst. Maybe not, as Word said.

Band director says they couldn't make it happen. Kid in the band tells his mom. Mom tells the kid's Grandma. Grandma tells Grandpa. Grandpa writes a letter to the paper. You don't think the story could have changed a bit in that whole process?

This is possibly the dumbest thread I've ever read. That's saying a lot!

People are getting upset because the Axe (which we don't know if it was legitimately available) wasn't at a concert (that we don't know wanted it there) because PJ Fleck (who was out of state and we don't know was even contacted) said no (also unknown) all because someone wrote it in a letter to the editor (who we don't know if they have any inside knowledge whatsoever)?

WTF?

Finally. A voice of reason.

Is DAVID TREMBLEY as pseudonym for Pat Reusse?

Top Bottom