Minnesota 0-fer Dupree McBrayer

Otis

Reaction score
Horrible shooting out of Dupree the past 2 games! But last night was different and I think it's not his fault.

2 years ago, we had a great season and then we lost our transfer shooting guard and our PG was injured. We stayed competitive in the tournament game riding Coffey and McBrayer's scoring. But most of their scoring came with the ball in their hands driving to the basket.

Last night, McBrayer was 0 for 8. ALL THREE POINT SHOTS! This is not a catch and shoot player. He needs to get some drives early in the game and go to the basket to get his juices going before he starts elongating his shooting range. Coffey at the point is taking the ball out of hands more and limiting his driving lanes.

For Dupree's sake, they need to run some plays for him early and get him some confidence.

Or, do what I would do, and move him to the bench and use him in his old role as sixth man. This current status quo is not working.

PG: Washington
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu
6th man: Dupree

I'd switch the defense occasionally to a 3-2 as well. Putting Washington on top. Try to get those long armed wings to get some easy steals and get the offense started.

Most of all, get Dupree some drives to the basket early and try to get him rolling if you don't change the lineup.

yeah we need to get him going somehow. we need to get our dang guards going other than Gabe!

IW, Dupree, Gabe, & Brock....our 4 guards....were a combine 8-28 from the floor. and you take Gabe out of there & that number goes to (make sure you are sitting down) 2-20 from the floor.

Was just reading the Strib game story and totally forgot about the situation with Dupree's mother. Have to think the fact that she may be dying is taking a toll on him mentally. Positive thoughts for him and his mother. Hope she pulls through and he can find some peace.

Was just reading the Strib game story and totally forgot about the situation with Dupree's mother. Have to think the fact that she may be dying is taking a toll on him mentally. Positive thoughts for him and his mother. Hope she pulls through and he can find some peace.

Amen to that

Our kids tend to stop ball movement, against a zone, with dribbling. If Dupree was going to score on penetration, it needed to come off a pass as he cut to the basket. Instead, we dribble the ball and hope for one pass. With a shot clock and no ball movement we end up taking bad shots.
Last night was a team problem, not just Dupree. Certainly his family situation may play a part in his demeanor, but the team simply did not move the ball against the zone. That's on Pitino and his staff to fix.

Our kids tend to stop ball movement, against a zone, with dribbling. If Dupree was going to score on penetration, it needed to come off a pass as he cut to the basket. Instead, we dribble the ball and hope for one pass. With a shot clock and no ball movement we end up taking bad shots.
Last night was a team problem, not just Dupree. Certainly his family situation may play a part in his demeanor, but the team simply did not move the ball against the zone. That's on Pitino and his staff to fix.

Completely agree. The guys insisted on taking a few dribbles on the perimeter with nearly every pass, thus allowing BC's zone to get into position virtually every time. The way to break a zone with with quick passes and precise movement. Of course some of the problem was that the off-the-ball movement was horrendous. Everybody was moving the exact same speed throughout possessions and going through the motions like it was a preseason drill. Everyone knows the way to beat a zone with to find gaps and you do that by moving the ball quickly and forcing the defense to react. The ball movement was so slow last night that BC was rarely out of position which led to guys chucking three's they couldn't make. Really awful zone offense.

Passing beats a zone, not dribbling. Setting picks generally doesn't work either, other zone defenders pick up the dribbler. Offensive players need to move, cut through the zone to cause defenders to make decisions on who to cover. Pass to attack the middle of the zone and then either take a 10-12 ft jumper in the lane or kick the ball to the weak side for an open jumper. Of course, if you can't hit jumpers, all the ball movement in the world isn't going to get the job done.

His three point shooting percentage is worse than Murphy's.

It's really not that hard to beat a zone. Pass and cut, pass and cut, roll the post, pass and cut.

I hate watching the Gophers have only three guys touch the ball passing around the outside and stagnant big men not breaking to the free throw line for an entry pass. That was so Tubby. They need to pass and have the opposite wing break to the corner of the initial pass side to start it out and then pass and cut till they get an open shot. Also need to feed the post at the free throw line to force the defense.

Very easy. But you have to make the defense move, just letting them slide around half heartily never works.

x 1,000
It's really not that hard to beat a zone. Pass and cut, pass and cut, roll the post, pass and cut.

I hate watching the Gophers have only three guys touch the ball passing around the outside and stagnant big men not breaking to the free throw line for an entry pass. That was so Tubby. They need to pass and have the opposite wing break to the corner of the initial pass side to start it out and then pass and cut till they get an open shot. Also need to feed the post at the free throw line to force the defense.

Very easy. But you have to make the defense move, just letting them slide around half heartily never works.

Guessing foul trouble to the bigs contributed to not getting the ball to the middle or alternately to the short corner...gotta collapse the zone...didn’t happen.

Before we all start sending Pitino a bunch of plays he can use to solve the zone, one thing that would have been nice last night would have been to hit maybe just 1 shot out of the many open looks that we had!

Before we all start sending Pitino a bunch of plays he can use to solve the zone, one thing that would have been nice last night would have been to hit maybe just 1 shot out of the many open looks that we had!
I attribute jet lag to those tired legs. It was poor scheduling to have a 3 game tourney in Vancouver and then play in Boston a few days later. One could see this lag coming.
One thing I note, once again this season, is a mental weakness in our team. We really let little things get to us and we start to pout. The body language says we are mentally checked out. I first noticed it after that weird Alabama game last year in New York. It almost comes off as kids who feel entitled not getting their way and then pouting. I'm not sure how Pitino breaks that mindset, but when it kicks in these kids check out. It's not a good habit if this squad hopes to play in the NCAA tournament at seasons end.
Perhaps I am misreading the issue as well so others feel free to rip my opinion as needed.

I attribute jet lag to those tired legs. It was poor scheduling to have a 3 game tourney in Vancouver and then play in Boston a few days later. One could see this lag coming.
One thing I note, once again this season, is a mental weakness in our team. We really let little things get to us and we start to pout. The body language says we are mentally checked out. I first noticed it after that weird Alabama game last year in New York. It almost comes off as kids who feel entitled not getting their way and then pouting. I'm not sure how Pitino breaks that mindset, but when it kicks in these kids check out. It's not a good habit if this squad hopes to play in the NCAA tournament at seasons end.
Perhaps I am misreading the issue as well so others feel free to rip my opinion as needed.

I thought the same thing going into last nights game. Im not sure exactly why we played so horribly, but one thing in the back of my mind was i hope this travel doesnt play a factor and it clearly did. Some people may think otherwise, but if you watched game it got worse as game went on, which clearly shows they didnt have their legs. 3 days rest and we will see what happens friday!

I did not see mental weakness in Vancouver. As a matter of fact I saw a team that played 5 poor quarters and one great one to win the tournament. They were not as good as they could and I believe will be, yet they found a way to win. This was especially true in the final moments of the last game. If they were weak minded they could have lost 2 of the 3 games there.

Dupree is going through some tough personal times with his mom. Most of us would struggle if we were going through what he is going through. He played on one leg for most of last season and toughed it out. That is not an example of weak mindedness.

We need one more Big to spell our Bigs and keep them from getting into foul trouble. Hopefully, that will be solved with in one week when Curry is scheduled to return. Our point guard play needs to improve too. Washington has shown glimpses of what he could do, but he still remains an enigma of inconsistency to Pitino. We are only 6 games into his sophomore season. When he is on, he is fun to watch, so hopefully Pitino can solve the enigma.

I think it was a combination of both - the zone offense was pretty bad for the most part, but a lot a wide open shots were missed as well. Oturu misses 2 dunks, and a couple missed layups near the beginning.

Could have been jet lag / travel legs, one of those games. Disappointing for sure, but shouldn't have won the Washington game anyways, since Kalscheur traveled. On to the next.

We're gonna face a lot of zone this year though...

they had thurs, fri, sat and sun off. Granted 2 travel days but that's a good amount of rest.

I think Dupree’s skill set works better when he can hve the ball in his hands more. He was best as a bench player because he could dominate the ball more.
When he is with stating 5 he essentially becomes the 4th or 5th option. A catch and shoot guy. This is not his strength.

Top Bottom