"Gophers can't shoot threes" is a MYTH!!!

There's nothing "median" about a 40% team 3-point average over the first five games. That'd be top 12 in 2017 and top 40 so far in 2018. That's a damn good 3-point team.

It all comes down to whether you want to judge the returns from five games or one. I'll lean toward the rule and not the outlier.

No, five games doesn't guarantee that they'll stay at or above 40% elite range, but five is a big enough sample size to know that their average isn't going to fall more than a couple of percentage points. 38% is the floor, and even that would be top 50 in the nation. To think it's going to fall to the mediocre 34-35% of last year is laughable.
_

Well, sure, if you just pick and choose the games you want to count them I'm sure you could end up with whatever percentage you want.

We shot 34.6% last year. I see no reason to think we won't be within a point or two of that this year.

They certainly proved they can shoot them, but can they make them? I hope so.

Worse case scenario is 38%? I’ll take the under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's hope they learn their lesson not to jack up 30 threes because they're so desperate to snap out of a cold streak.

Per Pitino's blog:

We kept shooting threes because we wanted to make one so that we could get the weight of the world off our shoulders.

We didn't adjust our attack throughout the course of the game. If shots aren't falling, make the adjustment, and drive the ball. Go inside. Hit the middle of the zone and attack. We were stubborn. Clearly we were cold from three but we also missed three point-blank dunks and several layups. We totally abandoned what we did well vs. Washington's zone.

But at a certain point it's as simple as just making shots:

Pitino said on his radio show Tuesday that he counted 26 uncontested shots the Gophers missed against Boston College after watching video.

Last edited:

8 of 14 tonight from three (57.1 %). We lit.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

Interesting how we are shooting three's against OSU.

The only player I feel confident about shooting 3s is Kalscheur.

If we put Hoffarber in Stull's uniform on Wednesday, do you think Tim Miles will notice?

"Gophers can't shoot threes" is a MYTH!!!

When does a myth become reality?

With literally 2 days of prep combined for both games, and we looked fine in the second half of the Washington game. I'm not too concerned. Pitino hasn't had trouble finding open shots, it's finding guys to hit the open shots that has been the issue.

2 Missed dunks, and a couple threes would have pushed them to look for a different defense.

Off game, onto the next one.

That was a difficult schedule to manage, not surprised they were in a funk, not excusing the effort, but not surprised.

What abut the 0/13 osu performance? We need to get the ball inside every possession. If a wide open 3 comes open while the ball is in the post that's a good shot, but they are passing up layups for 3 pointers.

Dammit!

Just getting it out of our system. Don't worry!

Since we average 38%, Nebraska better watch out cause we are due.

Since we average 38%, Nebraska better watch out cause we are due.
57% down to 0% in the space of 3 days with the same amount of attempts. They'll probably shoot the lights out again against Nebraska.

Fine at home and in strange neutral gyms, but completely forget how to shoot on the road. It's going to be a long year if they're this rattled by road games, and they haven't even played in very hostile environments yet.

3 of 8 from three tonight. I was very impressed with the persistence and assertiveness to drive to the basket and go inside tonight. Gophers should be competent from three, but it shouldn't be their identity. Use penetration and double teams to find open threes.

8 of 17 (47%) from three vs. the mighty red wolves.

We can shoot threes. But the games that we lost against Ohio St and Boston College we couldn’t hit any outside shots. We have to avoid those 0-13 nights from the 3 point line like we did against ohio state. Many of these shots were pretty wide open too.

Gabe's a legit deep threat & Stull is too, if someone can find him wide open. Amir & Dupree both have flat, line drive deliveries, that feel like every 3 will miss, when it leaves their hands. Overall, those two aren't horrible 3 point shooters. Nor are they good. They're just Ok. IW actually has a nice, smooth shooting motion, but takes low % shots, bad shots and is a very streaky. The problem with his streaky shooting is, he won't stop shooting when he's ice cold.

OP, give us the current percentage.

There was a weird draft in the building last night. Pushed the ball trajectory ever so slightly.

They are 62 - 190 .326. They have had a 1-15 game and an 0-13 game. Take those away and they shoot 38%. I'd say that the truth is somewhere between and they will end up being a 35% team. I will take the looks they had last night every time and on most nights they will go in at a much better rate.

Weird to be that bad at shooting at home.

They are 62 - 190 .326. They have had a 1-15 game and an 0-13 game. Take those away and they shoot 38%. I'd say that the truth is somewhere between and they will end up being a 35% team. I will take the looks they had last night every time and on most nights they will go in at a much better rate.
The truth is...they are shooting 32.6% as a team.
The kids were so bad last night, I was thinking Murph and Oturo might launch a few in hopes of bumping up our percentages. Goodness, that was a poor shooting game.

I hope so, they obviously aren't a great shooting team, I'll take average 35% shooting as a team in a New York minute.

Last edited:

Every game it's looking more like reality than myth.

The shots looked good. Just iron luck.

Sorry to say it, but it is NOT a myth. This is an AWFUL shooting team, plain and simple. Dupree should not be allowed to shoot another three this season. Half a season is enough evidence. How can people not understand this clear fact? Pitino needs to recruit shooters badly. It is such a shame, too, as this team could have gone far with better shooting.

Top Bottom