"Gophers can't shoot threes" is a MYTH!!!

What’s even more frustrating is Carr, Willis, and Tre Williams are not good/great shooters statistically either.

I haven’t seen a minute of any of them play, but the statistics available do not look good.

What’s even more frustrating is Carr, Willis, and Tre Williams are not good/great shooters statistically either.

I haven’t seen a minute of any of them play, but the statistics available do not look good.

Carr was a freshman last year on a really bad team. Looks like he shot well early on and then struggled later.

Sorry to say it, but it is NOT a myth. This is an AWFUL shooting team, plain and simple. Dupree should not be allowed to shoot another three this season. Half a season is enough evidence. How can people not understand this clear fact? Pitino needs to recruit shooters badly. It is such a shame, too, as this team could have gone far with better shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And unfortunately....Washington is not a good three point shooter either.

Richard doesn't recruit shooters, I think Gabe surprised him. But more than that, we no longer have almost any sets, screens, actions, that get us open looks from 3. Sometimes we get them in transition but we chose to play a slower tempo last night and we struggle in the half court. You can always back it out but I think you need to keep pressure on your opponent.

Carr looked like a decent shooter in the scrimmage but who knows how that translates to B1G games, Willis didn't look like he would get much playing time, small sample, hopefully Willis will prove me wrong and Carr will live up to expectations.

Richard doesn't recruit shooters, I think Gabe surprised him. But more than that, we no longer have almost any sets, screens, actions, that get us open looks from 3. Sometimes we get them in transition but we chose to play a slower tempo last night and we struggle in the half court. You can always back it out but I think you need to keep pressure on your opponent.

I agree with most of this but have to believe Pitino would like some shooters but just strikes out in recruiting them. Not sure to be honest. On current team, Gabe is only one that actually looks like a threat as he is only one that really plants feet, squares up to basket and has little extraneous motion. I think he's going to make most time he shoots. The others, not so much.

??? Imagine Pitino's disappointment when he found out that Kalscheur could shoot! :rolleyes:

I think he - like every coach, is going to recruit the kids with the best combination of tools possible. If you are Duke, you can find guys that are uber athletic and can shoot. If you are Minnesota, you sometimes have to choose kids that have the ability to play your style but that you hope improve certain skills. I think it would be fair to say that Pitino seems to require a baseline level of athleticism that narrows his choices, but I don't think it is fair to say he doesn't recruit shooters.
If Kalscheur wasn't a really good shooter, Pitino would not have taken him because athletically Kalscheur is not at the level Pitino normally likes. Gabe is not super quick.

We did NOT choose to play slow tempo against Wisky- they gave us no choice. They got back fast, they played good defense and they didn't turn the ball over. They have held 5 of the last 6 teams they have played to their lowest scoring total of the year. The way to stop Wisconsin from slowing you down is to get a nice lead on them -which we never did.

We had open looks at the three, but it is going to be tough when the opposition is happy to allow everyone but one guy on the floor to shoot them. It's pretty easy to take out one guy, especially a guy that is not real quick. Gabe is a feet planted square up shooter, more so than a guy that is going to make space and hit one off the bounce.

He said gophers will easily shoot 38% this year in OP

We are shooting 32%

To be fair, if he was right he would be correct

Top Bottom