2016 Claeys, 2017 Lucia, 2018 Pitino

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Didn’t do it last year because of the Lucia situation and the recruiting class Richie had coming in.

Or, 2017 Claeys, 2018 Lucia, 2019 Pitino if you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If things don’t improve its hard to see Pitino surviving, especially if recruiting doesn’t pick up

His teams have consistently shown the same traits during his tenure: Lost on defense, stagnant with a lack of shooters on offense and little or no heart/will to fight back when things aren't going their way.

Tonight was a horror show and if it was one of the rare occasions where that was the case, I might be willing to cut Pitino more slack. As it is, it wasn't and I figure he's got a few months to get it right or it might be pink-slip time.

His teams have consistently shown the same traits during his tenure: Lost on defense, stagnant with a lack of shooters on offense and little or no heart/will to fight back when things aren't going their way.

Tonight was a horror show and if it was one of the rare occasions where that was the case, I might be willing to cut Pitino more slack. As it is, it wasn't and I figure he's got a few months to get it right or it might be pink-slip time.

They didn't fight back tonight but I actually think the fight has been something his teams tend to possess. Agree with all your other points. Personally, I was always ok with letting Pitino learn from mistakes early on in his tenure. Thought it could pay dividends down the road. We are in year six....The roster has never been properly managed, excecution has been questionable and now recruiting seems to be slowing down. I really like Richard. I really want him to figure it out. I honestly think it will hinge on Isaiah. If he can get through to him, we will be ok. If not, I think there will be too many games that go down like tonight..

His job is safe for now. This is a discussion for after the season not after a single loss.

Perhaps you guys could consider becoming a Wisconsin or Iowa fan on behalf of us Gopher fans. Be nice if you could sow discord, demoralize players, and help their recruits to second guess their decision across the border instead of here.

His job is safe for now. This is a discussion for after the season not after a single loss.

Perhaps you guys could consider becoming a Wisconsin or Iowa fan on behalf of us Gopher fans. Be nice if you could sow discord, demoralize players, and help their recruits to second guess their decision across the border instead of here.

Agree about after the season. I feel if he is not better than 6th he should go but feel strongly about this year being no worse than 3rd. They will not shoot that poorly again.

Agree about after the season. I feel if he is not better than 6th he should go but feel strongly about this year being no worse than 3rd. They will not shoot that poorly again.

Not saying give up on the season but there is no way no matter how strong you feel it this team is finishing 3rd or higher.

If he wins 5 out of every 6 games the rest of the way, the Gophers will be 10-2, 15-3, 20-4, and 25-5. Is the competition going to get tougher? Hell yeah.

But let's not panic after a road loss to an ACC school.

Nobody is going to get fired mid season, and I'm on record as saying Pitino survives if the Gophers make the NIT this year, but people are in denial if they don't think that Coyle has a short list of replacement coaches at the ready. I'd miss my guess if both Musselman and Medved aren't on that list.

Not saying give up on the season but there is no way no matter how strong you feel it this team is finishing 3rd or higher.

Believing this team would finish 3rd or higher in the Big Ten even before the awful BC loss goes beyond optimism and into the the realm of the surrealism.

Nobody is going to get fired mid season, and I'm on record as saying Pitino survives if the Gophers make the NIT this year, but people are in denial if they don't think that Coyle has a short list of replacement coaches at the ready. I'd miss my guess if both Musselman and Medved aren't on that list.

I felt the same way about the acceptable level of success for the current year (even more so after last night's game). Speaking of possible replacements, someone mentioned Nate Oates of Buffalo last night. His teams do play well.

Believing this team would finish 3rd or higher in the Big Ten even before the awful BC loss goes beyond optimism and into the the realm of the surrealism.

+1. Gopher's are starting down 5 points nearly every game with Lil' Ricky at the helm. He's also told other coaches in the AD he'd like to get back to coaching in the SE at some point- ie Georgia or Florida. This is not going to end well.

+1. Gopher's are starting down 5 points nearly every game with Lil' Ricky at the helm. He's also told other coaches in the AD he'd like to get back to coaching in the SE at some point- ie Georgia or Florida. This is not going to end well.

...or maybe they get better, a player or two step up, the rookies get more confidence, they make some adjustments to win some games they shouldn't and we have fun for the rest of the season.

Not real sure i'm gonna blame pitino for our slow starts, but it would be nice if we can go to half one time and i don't have to hear the announcer say "coffey needs to be more aggressive." He never gets off to a quick start. Thats the guy we need. He scored 12 last night. 10 of them that didnt matter in the last 4 minutes. He hit 2 three pointers down the stretch. we need him to do that early.

I think Pitino knows if he misses the tourney hes looking for a new job. I'm not going to hit the panic button after one out of conference road egg laying. Still think this team has the pieces to get there.

I don't know guys. I just don't think changing coaches all the time at this University is going to do any good. We have done that ever since Clem Haskins and what has it gotten us? I'd give him this year and next for sure and if he is still underperforming, then I suppose you take a look. Consistency is what all the good programs have though, not changing coaches like you change your underwear.

Having only one recruit so far is not helpful to Richard’s job security if we flounder. We do have two guys sitting out, however.
I think, (I hope) we win enough games he gets another year. We will have a deeper roster going forward. Yes, we will miss Murphy but we’ll have numbers.

I don't know guys. I just don't think changing coaches all the time at this University is going to do any good. We have done that ever since Clem Haskins and what has it gotten us? I'd give him this year and next for sure and if he is still underperforming, then I suppose you take a look. Consistency is what all the good programs have though, not changing coaches like you change your underwear.

This is absolutely correct! You build the program over time with good decisions and consistency. Coyle knows what he is doing and will pull the trigger on a new guy IF and when it ever becomes necessary. Lets hope for a "Big 10 Coach of the year" repeat this year and chat on coach issues when appropriate.

It was very frustrating to watch the total inability to adjust to BCs 2-3 zone - Little Ricky did nothing from a coaching standpoint - the color commentator picked up on this early in the second half - I think he even referred to it as a "house of horrors on offense for Minnesota"

If he can't get it done this year, then it's time. Six years is plenty of patience.

Come Selection Sunday, this won't be viewed as a terrible loss--it will just be a loss. BC is not a bad team, and will most likely make the tourney this year. With that said, yes, the Gophers shot the ball as poorly as I've ever seen. If two or three of those outside shots fall for us, a couple of dunks weren't missed, I believe it would have been a very different outcome for us. I'm going to view last night as a fluke with the absolutely horrendous shooting, and believe that the Gophs will bounce back against Oklahoma State.

It was very frustrating to watch the total inability to adjust to BCs 2-3 zone - Little Ricky did nothing from a coaching standpoint - the color commentator picked up on this early in the second half - I think he even referred to it as a "house of horrors on offense for Minnesota"

Agree it was frustrating to watch. The offense was hampered by multiple missed dunks, layups, missing players, and other miscues. Be nice to think that another coach just calls a 30 second timeout and fixes everything (and perhaps some coaches and players can do this) but probably not realistic for most teams that are spiraling.

P.s. I think you show your Reusse-ness with the "Little Ricky" shot. Been on this board for a long time and the constant negativity gets old. Isn't there a therapist that some of you guys can go to? You know - scream, yell, cry a little, and come back and have fun being a fan?

You do not have to change coaches when you have a great coach. He should have to win in a significant way this year. But you always need to know who you can get.

Come Selection Sunday, this won't be viewed as a terrible loss--it will just be a loss. BC is not a bad team, and will most likely make the tourney this year. With that said, yes, the Gophers shot the ball as poorly as I've ever seen. If two or three of those outside shots fall for us, a couple of dunks weren't missed, I believe it would have been a very different outcome for us. I'm going to view last night as a fluke with the absolutely horrendous shooting, and believe that the Gophs will bounce back against Oklahoma State.

What? You mean the ACC tourney?

What? You mean the ACC tourney?

Alright, I admit that "most likely make the tourney" might be a stretch, but they're still not a bad team, and it won't be viewed as a terrible loss for the Gophers. Although the only thing I'm basing that off of is what the announcers were saying last night; BC isn't listed in any early bracketology, but both announcers seemed pretty confident that BC would be in the discussion to make the NCAA Tournament.

Agree it was frustrating to watch. The offense was hampered by multiple missed dunks, layups, missing players, and other miscues. Be nice to think that another coach just calls a 30 second timeout and fixes everything (and perhaps some coaches and players can do this) but probably not realistic for most teams that are spiraling.

P.s. I think you show your Reusse-ness with the "Little Ricky" shot. Been on this board for a long time and the constant negativity gets old. Isn't there a therapist that some of you guys can go to? You know - scream, yell, cry a little, and come back and have fun being a fan?

Sorry Mrs. Pitino - I'll be more respectful going forward

Les... you're a known hater. Go back to Wisconsin.

If he can't get it done this year, then it's time. Six years is plenty of patience.

I agree if he doesn't make the dance this year, his seat is probably getting hot. That said, this program never gets anywhere because we are constantly rebuilding things. Let someone have some time to build it up. I have a feeling this freshman class from this season will have some success.

Look at the football program? Changing coaches all the time leaves the program in a constant state of flux. You fire Pitino, be ready for 3-4 more years of being terrible until it's "rebuilt" again. I'd rather they find someone to stick with and let them build something.

Also, I don't think it's the coach, I really don't. Look around the landscape of college sports. The best programs let kids that aren't smart into their schools, make sure they have "passing" schoolwork and likely pay them or give them things. Here, small things happen and our valiant University is quick to throw players under the bus. You want high level athletic programs in Football and Basketball, you have to support your kids. It doesn't seem right, but it is just the way it is.

I agree if he doesn't make the dance this year, his seat is probably getting hot. That said, this program never gets anywhere because we are constantly rebuilding things. Let someone have some time to build it up. I have a feeling this freshman class from this season will have some success.

Look at the football program? Changing coaches all the time leaves the program in a constant state of flux. You fire Pitino, be ready for 3-4 more years of being terrible until it's "rebuilt" again. I'd rather they find someone to stick with and let them build something.

Also, I don't think it's the coach, I really don't. Look around the landscape of college sports. The best programs let kids that aren't smart into their schools, make sure they have "passing" schoolwork and likely pay them or give them things. Here, small things happen and our valiant University is quick to throw players under the bus. You want high level athletic programs in Football and Basketball, you have to support your kids. It doesn't seem right, but it is just the way it is.

So just let him coach until he is successful? What if he never is? What if we peak as a borderline tourney team that never wins beyond the first weekend? Lets say he is in the same spot 4 years from now, do you just keep him there because you think continuity is important? 6 years is a long time. He has recruited this entire roster. The holes you see (PG, shooting) are his fault. I like Pitino and I hope he wins this year so he keeps his job.

And yeah, the old argument about how our media is different, our AD is bad, we don't have facilities, we don't pay players, our kids actually go to class. That doesn't hold water. Yes, some schools are easier to get in to. Yes, some have better facilities. Yes, some MIGHT pay players. But it isn't like we are at the academic level of Northwestern. We can get most kids into the school. He isn't winning games at a high enough rate to justify keeping him unless this year turns out to be successful. Its only 1 loss but the lack of improvement on offense over the past few years is especially concerning.

Why doesn't it hold water?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ege-basketball-scandal-players-coaches-agents

Looks at the school names on that list. Blue bloods galore. Successful programs.

We had a good program here at the U. Clem Haskins was one of the better coaches in the Big Ten and was successful. They University threw him under the bus for something that goes on at every University with a sports program and completely ruined the athletics department here by doing so. The basketball program has been in a tailspin and has had a hard time gaining any momentum ever since.

And obviously if he hasn't improved the program in a couple years or this year ends up being a complete disaster, then fine. That said, I don't think it will be and I don't think canning him after this season will be any kind of answer for the basketball program.

Last edited:

Top Bottom