2016 Claeys, 2017 Lucia, 2018 Pitino

The "aw shucks we can't do any better" logic might fly on the football side, but not basketball. You don't have to keep all of the talent home, just some of it, and you'll have at a team that's at least in the middle of the B1G most years. Pitino has done the first part of that to some extent. But we're still sitting here in year 6 with only one finish in the top 7, with a mismatched group of talent hoping it will work itself out. The idea that no one can do better than 1 NCAA bid in 6 years is silly. Either he figures out how to get this group there or he will be replaced.

What is this magical reasoning as to why the basketball program is supposed to be better than the football program?

Here is a link to posts in 1999 on this very site on wayback internet archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990208220413/http://www.gopherhole.com:80/TunnelTalk/

As you can see it was just us Pitino's (CPT Midnight), Greg Smith, Bleedgold, and Nate Tubbs Rules posting back then.

Seems like the mid 2000's when all of you jackasses arrived. There must be some other program that you guys can demoralize beside the Gophers. St Cloud State Hockey fans seem pretty happy right now... Thoughts?

Perhaps you should reduce your visits to message boards. Progress and contrarian views seem to upset you too much.

I have been on Gopherhole plenty longer than that, and plenty longer than you. It is clear that more than anything, many of you are hoping for another coaching change. This would be disastrous for the program. Will it be more harmful than keeping Pitino? Hard to say right now.

I think you're not clear on this yourself. Firing Pitino would be disastrous but keeping him might be worse. OK.

Obviously, regardless of what happens, he's likely here at least through the end of this season. If this team tanks again for the fourth time in six years, I'm opting for the Mae West philosophy: "When given the choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

I think you're not clear on this yourself. Firing Pitino would be disastrous but keeping him might be worse. OK.

Obviously, regardless of what happens, he's likely here at least through the end of this season. If this team tanks again for the fourth time in six years, I'm opting for the Mae West philosophy: "When given the choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

Pretty simple really. A new coach will be a disaster in the short term and may be a bonus in the long term as the new coach builds a different program. A new coach may also be a disaster in the long term meaning that we have to go through this every few years. Either way we are headed into a disaster if we replace him so we better be sure of the decision.

2016 started the exact same way and Pitino won Big 10 Coach of the year. The end of the year is the time to open up the discussions around this.

I hope he does well this year. I hope that all the Reusse fans on the board are depressed by the end of the season because it means that the rest of us fans will be happy with a competitive team and a brighter future.

I dont care if Pitino is coach long term - I just think you guys are pathetic fans.

What is this magical reasoning as to why the basketball program is supposed to be better than the football program?

It's not magic, it's math. MN produces more talent in basketball relative to what is needed. If they can keep 2-3 MN kids home each year in basketball, they have the foundation of a good team most years. If they keep 2-3 MN kids home in football, they still need 12 more.

Also, we have a legit home court advantage in basketball. It's not what it used to be, but basketball attendance is still average or a bit above average for a Power 5 team. In football, it's among the worst.

I think you're not clear on this yourself.

Between your broken quotes and similar user names, it appears you guys are screaming at yourself in the mirror.

Pretty simple really. A new coach will be a disaster in the short term and may be a bonus in the long term as the new coach builds a different program. A new coach may also be a disaster in the long term meaning that we have to go through this every few years. Either way we are headed into a disaster if we replace him so we better be sure of the decision.

2016 started the exact same way and Pitino won Big 10 Coach of the year. The end of the year is the time to open up the discussions around this.

I hope he does well this year. I hope that all the Reusse fans on the board are depressed by the end of the season because it means that the rest of us fans will be happy with a competitive team and a brighter future.

I dont care if Pitino is coach long term - I just think you guys are pathetic fans.

I've been going to Gopher games since I could barely walk and now have season tickets. It's possible to cheer for a team, and not think the coach is the answer. I don't have any Richard Pitino gear, but I have plenty of Gopher gear. I'm sure pathetic fans do all those things.

I want to see us win more and go to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. Pitino hasn't been doing that for us. It's been done at plenty of other programs where it is just as tough if not tougher to win. I want to believe that he'll start doing that, but I just don't see it. And it's not about one game, it's about the last 5+ years.

Explain to me how we are headed for disaster if we fire him after this year. You keep saying it, but it has not been true at other places and I don't see why it would be true here.

Lets be clear on this.

You guys are here to demoralize and sow discord.

I am here to make fun of you and expose you.

Expose us? To Whom? We're not hiding anything and nobody except you cares. As far as making fun of us, I'd say your satire skills need some work.

I've been going to Gopher games since I could barely walk and now have season tickets. It's possible to cheer for a team, and not think the coach is the answer. I don't have any Richard Pitino gear, but I have plenty of Gopher gear. I'm sure pathetic fans do all those things.

I want to see us win more and go to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. Pitino hasn't been doing that for us. It's been done at plenty of other programs where it is just as tough if not tougher to win. I want to believe that he'll start doing that, but I just don't see it. And it's not about one game, it's about the last 5+ years.

Explain to me how we are headed for disaster if we fire him after this year. You keep saying it, but it has not been true at other places and I don't see why it would be true here.

C'mon, just admit it - This year is a win for you if the entire season goes into the tank and you get to lead the charge to fire Pitino. Worst case scenario for you guys is for him to do enough to guarantee a couple more seasons. You know, because that success on that level would prevent us from bringing in a guy who could bring us success... well.. on that level.

C'mon, just admit it - This year is a win for you if the entire season goes into the tank and you get to lead the charge to fire Pitino. Worst case scenario for you guys is for him to do enough to guarantee a couple more seasons. You know, because that success on that level would prevent us from bringing in a guy who could bring us success... well.. on that level.

Again, please explain why it would be a disaster if we had to fire him after this year.

And no, I wouldn't consider that a win. It would suck for Murph and the guys who have been in the program for four years. Would be too bad to see a guy who is going to be the top all time rebounder and a top 3 all time scorer in program history go out without another shot at the NCAAs.

But the reality is that if that happens then we need to find someone who can get us there.

I can't fathom how someone who says they are such a fan of the program would fight to keep a coach with one NCAA bid in six years. It's like you enjoy mediocrity.

Where did Jay Wright cheat or Bo Ryan or Gard or Tony Bennett or Belein or Few Or Donovan. I said some cheat but the above faced a playing field not level and overcome it. The common thread is hiring a great coach. Butler did not cheat, Xavier did not cheat.

And you know none of these gentlemen cheated - how?

Gaard? Really? Pretty short timeframe and operating largely on others players.

btw - i really like Belein as a coach.

Last edited:

Why do so many people equate being annoyed by a coach's level of performance with wanting that coach to fail? I started college in 2006, Pitino is probably my second favorite revenue sports coach in terms of personality and me wanting them to succeed during that stretch (Kill being number 1). I get the impression that most of us like the way he approaches things, and handles the media, and would really like him to be the answer. The problem is, regardless of how likeable the guy is, making one NCAA tournament in five years is terrible, and one in six would be even worse. We fired a coach (that I liked less than Pitino) for three in six. Clearly it is possible for this team to be going to the dance in at least half the years, and whether its Pitino or someone else, we need to get to a higher level than we have been at.

Very ill-timed thread. 2016-17 was successful and last season was headed that direction until the lost players. Now, six games into this season some are passing judgment. What if we win our Dec. big ten games? What if Hurt joins us? What if spring recruiting goes well?

It would likewise be unwise to call Pitino a coaching savant had these first games gone perfectly. Maybe I'm too sensitive but I look forward to the gopher's basketball season and to have all "these negative vibes" so soon- I just don't get it. How about letting the season play out and then make grand judgments.

Why do so many people equate being annoyed by a coach's level of performance with wanting that coach to fail? I started college in 2006, Pitino is probably my second favorite revenue sports coach in terms of personality and me wanting them to succeed during that stretch (Kill being number 1). I get the impression that most of us like the way he approaches things, and handles the media, and would really like him to be the answer. The problem is, regardless of how likeable the guy is, making one NCAA tournament in five years is terrible, and one in six would be even worse. We fired a coach (that I liked less than Pitino) for three in six. Clearly it is possible for this team to be going to the dance in at least half the years, and whether its Pitino or someone else, we need to get to a higher level than we have been at.

My issue is not with the coach or a change. It is with Reusse type fans who wear the maroon and gold but go to games only to find something to complain about. FUD is a phenomenon on all online forums but something about Minnesota attracts alot of them here. They take the negative angle on everything and then push it on the rest of us like we are a part of some therapy session. All the pain of the last 58 years for football and 20 years for baskeball been so bad that Ya'll have forgotten how to be fans?

For example (and I have no issue with Coyle pulling the trigger at the end of this year) you are framing Pitino up as likely 1 and 6. On the other hand it could be 2 and 6 if this year goes well. If you consider that last years team was a tourney team (injurys and Lynch issues aside) plus this year puts him at 3 of 6. Guess what, I guarantee this is how Coyle looks at it if Pitino makes the tourney this year - 50%. Then he gives him a couple more years. I do too. I hope we make the tourney and Pitino is here for a long time and he grows and is wildly successful.

If we end up 13th in the big 10 this year then Coyle will be a horrible AD if he doesn't fire him.

Why are we spending so much energy on this right now with a 5-1 team? Oh yeah, Reusse fans...

My issue is not with the coach or a change. It is with Reusse type fans who wear the maroon and gold but go to games only to find something to complain about. FUD is a phenomenon on all online forums but something about Minnesota attracts alot of them here. They take the negative angle on everything and then push it on the rest of us like we are a part of some therapy session. All the pain of the last 58 years for football and 20 years for baskeball been so bad that Ya'll have forgotten how to be fans?

For example (and I have no issue with Coyle pulling the trigger at the end of this year) you are framing Pitino up as likely 1 and 6. On the other hand it could be 2 and 6 if this year goes well. If you consider that last years team was a tourney team (injurys and Lynch issues aside) plus this year puts him at 3 of 6. Guess what, I guarantee this is how Coyle looks at it if Pitino makes the tourney this year - 50%. Then he gives him a couple more years. I do too. I hope we make the tourney and Pitino is here for a long time and he grows and is wildly successful.

If we end up 13th in the big 10 this year then Coyle will be a horrible AD if he doesn't fire him.

Why are we spending so much energy on this right now with a 5-1 team? Oh yeah, Reusse fans...

I'm not saying he will likely be one of six. I've said on multiple other threads that I think this is a tournament team (including at least once after the BC loss). I dont buy discounting years with injury trouble. If we do that, we should do the same for Tubby, and he had a highly ranked team miss the tournament after bad injuries, so then the baseline should be four of six. The measure how good a coach or team is is not how good we think they could be if nothing ever went wrong.

So true. It could be because this is a free board. Trolls or dome and gloom "fans" may not pay to constantly bash the teams or coaches. I think it also has to do with a very vocal minority that feel compelled to voice the same opinion in every thread.

I'm not saying he will likely be one of six. I've said on multiple other threads that I think this is a tournament team (including at least once after the BC loss). I dont buy discounting years with injury trouble. If we do that, we should do the same for Tubby, and he had a highly ranked team miss the tournament after bad injuries, so then the baseline should be four of six. The measure how good a coach or team is is not how good we think they could be if nothing ever went wrong.

I don't think that I disagree with you on anything you just said. Factor in the disruption, negatives, and risk of a new coach and I think Pitino is very safe if he has a decent year. Why play "Captain Obvious" with the downside?

Top Bottom