The Blueprint Is Written

NotAFanOfBecky

Reaction score
Looks like a lack of an outside shooter other than Gabe is really showing it's ugly head tonight against BC. That 3-2 zone is just killing them. Gophers are going to see a whole lot more of that moving forward...and that will be the blueprint. What are they like 3-24 at this point from 3? Missed 13 straight? I thought McBrayer and Stull could shoot the 3 but just not looking good tonight. Would love to see Coffey and Washington could be more consistent. Squad looks tired tonight. Looking forward to seeing Curry come back!

Add in front court foul trouble every game.

This team relies on Coffey and McBrayer to get buckets. They aren’t getting buckets. Pretty simple.

Looks like a lack of an outside shooter other than Gabe is really showing it's ugly head tonight against BC. That 3-2 zone is just killing them. Gophers are going to see a whole lot more of that moving forward...and that will be the blueprint. What are they like 3-24 at this point from 3? Missed 13 straight? I thought McBrayer and Stull could shoot the 3 but just not looking good tonight. Would love to see Coffey and Washington could be more consistent. Squad looks tired tonight. Looking forward to seeing Curry come back!

I don't like what I've seen despite the 5-0/5-1 start. I don't see how this team makes the tourney. Hope I'm wrong but I see good teams figuring the Gophs out pretty easily.

Add in front court foul trouble every game.

This is a bigger issue than shooting IMO

Much easier to shoot when the ball goes inside first. Can’t go inside with our inside guys on bench.

This is a bigger issue than shooting IMO

Much easier to shoot when the ball goes inside first. Can’t go inside with our inside guys on bench.

The bench as a whole is brutal.

The shooting is historically bad. I made the mistake and looked at some of the FG% stats through 6 games... Ouch. Washington can't seem to buy a bucket. I feel for him because he works hard, seems to be a good person, just something is not clicking for him. He seems to be thinking too much.

It's also extremely concerning that none of the players have improved. Amir, IW, Dupree, Hurt... really everyone other than Murphy is playing worse.

And hate to say it, but Curry is not the magic pill everyone is hoping for. He will help depth, no doubt. But he's not an all-B1G savior that many seem to think.

*End of rant

McBrayer is a senior and at this point, should be making open jumpers. He had plenty of open looks and couldn't hit. He needs to step up.

mentally fragile team,

cant get the ball to the middle of a 3-2 zone?

middle school problems.

horse bleep!

cant put anyone in the short corner?
cant get a dunk from Orturu, Murph or Omersa?

middle school problems!!!

Pitino, do some coaching, act like you care, put the press on sooner, maybe put a zone on them?

try something, do something.

McBrayer is a senior and at this point, should be making open jumpers. He had plenty of open looks and couldn't hit. He needs to step up.

Marcus tweeted out that Pitino said, part of the reason Dupree may be struggling is down to the situation with his family. Makes sense really. Those open 3s are usually money and he’s typically solid from the line. Feel for the kid.

Marcus tweeted out that Pitino said, part of the reason Dupree may be struggling is down to the situation with his family. Makes sense really. Those open 3s are usually money and he’s typically solid from the line. Feel for the kid.

Yes McBrayer’s family situation might be causing him issues.

His 3pt shooting can get streaky and he can make a few but never a consistent shooter and far from money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guards win in college basketball. Gabe is great. But this team will go as far as IW and McBreyer will take it. This is a bad offensive team that is downright awful when anyone throws a zone at them. They have talent, but it feels like a collection of misfit toys.

IW needs to start and McBreyer needs to be off the bench. If IW can play like he did at the end of last year, and McBreyer can provide instant offense off the bench, they have a shot. If not, they don't. Also, we need Coffey starting at the 3 spot. He's not a great shooter, but he's the second best one we have at the moment.

Oturu looks fine, just overwhelmed as expected. He will need to grow up fast. And Omersa needs to operate under Miles Tarver rules (you're there to rebound and pass. Never dribble or shoot anything that's not a dunk or lay-up.)

Last edited:

When the shots aren't falling things are going to look ugly. Considering just how bad we shot the fact that we only lost by 12 is pretty shocking. Knock down just a couple more 3s and this is a totally different game.

Team needs Curry back in a big way.

Love Murphy, but c'mon MAN! Shouldn't a senior have figured out how to stay in the game and help his team win?

Love Murphy, but c'mon MAN! Shouldn't a senior have figured out how to stay in the game and help his team win?

did you see his last two fouls?
How do you think they could have been avoided?

There's going to be contact when playing the 4 position.

The zone won't be as much of a problem for them over time as they'll shoot 35-40% from three on average.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...uot-Gophers-can-t-shoot-threes-quot-is-a-MYTH!!!

Im not sure im in the thought that pitino didnt have us prepared for the zone. We had plenty of open looks that we didnt knock down. Obviously this needs to change as we cant shoot any worse than we did last night. Yes we could have had more touches in the paint, but in the long run you need to knock shots down. McBrayer is shooting like 20% in the last 4 games, washington 20%, and coffey gets off to a slow start every game. All of this i have to imagine will change at some point.

Guards win in college basketball. Gabe is great. But this team will go as far as IW and McBreyer will take it. This is a bad offensive team that is downright awful when anyone throws a zone at them. They have talent, but it feels like a collection of misfit toys.

IW needs to start and McBreyer needs to be off the bench. If IW can play like he did at the end of last year, and McBreyer can provide instant offense off the bench, they have a shot. If not, they don't. Also, we need Coffey starting at the 3 spot. He's not a great shooter, but he's the second best one we have at the moment.

Oturu looks fine, just overwhelmed as expected. He will need to grow up fast. And Omersa needs to operate under Miles Tarver rules (you're there to rebound and pass. Never dribble or shoot anything that's not a dunk or lay-up.)

I just don't see how you think turning a guy loose that has been a turnover machine and loves to put up bad shots, quick shots, etc. is going to help this offense. I like what Washington brings when he is under control, but it seems right now that he's not very smart. More minutes from him = more empty trips down the floor. Until he can figure out not to force it, he's never going to crack the starting lineup. I'm sure if he could show control and smarts on the court, he would be out there starting for sure. He has the handles and the quickness to get by anybody, but he has to figure out how to use that as part of his game and the team game. Not just chuck up bad, quick, contested shots.

did you see his last two fouls?
How do you think they could have been avoided?

There's going to be contact when playing the 4 position.

Well, his last foul could've been avoided by taking a 12 foot jumper and not lowering his shoulder to plow to the basket, especially with 4 fouls.

Stefon Mitchell and Amir Coffey are both listed at 6'8". One of them had 13 rebounds, the other 1. Can we please make a rule on this board and not mention the NBA and that person's name in the same sentence again. And until that person is willing to get dirty and make some hustle plays, this team is not going anywhere. I saw him standing on the perimeter all too often last night while he could have been helping teammates, or better yet, crashing the boards.

I just don't see how you think turning a guy loose that has been a turnover machine and loves to put up bad shots, quick shots, etc. is going to help this offense. I like what Washington brings when he is under control, but it seems right now that he's not very smart. More minutes from him = more empty trips down the floor. Until he can figure out not to force it, he's never going to crack the starting lineup. I'm sure if he could show control and smarts on the court, he would be out there starting for sure. He has the handles and the quickness to get by anybody, but he has to figure out how to use that as part of his game and the team game. Not just chuck up bad, quick, contested shots.

Agree.

It's like the worse Washington plays the more some posters say he should get additional minutes. He's been awful so far, and if anything he's been getting worse as the season goes on. Giving him more PT will solve his issues?? I don't get it either.

Sit him for the next game. Sure, the quickness and driving ability give him lots of potential, but it's undeniable that he's hurting us right now. He's not a freshman anymore. No need to use the kid gloves.

He played a ton at the end of last year out of necessity and he got better. It's unfortunate he's regressed, but him getting back to that is our only hope IMO. The line-up with Coffey at point is brutal against zone defense. All teams have to do is deploy it when necessary and we'll basically go scoreless for 5-10 minutes. It's very much like when Hoffarber played PG in 2011. It's screwing us in 2 spots. Coffey is not a good PG, and we need him at the #3 spot as McBreyer currently offers nothing.

Well, his last foul could've been avoided by taking a 12 foot jumper and not lowering his shoulder to plow to the basket, especially with 4 fouls.

Was an extremely weak call, they called 3 charges all game, the rest were blocks.

Being able to avoid foul trouble is a myth, sometimes it finds you.

Especially if a lot of penetration is allowed by weak defense provided by guards.

It just seems like, no matter who the coach is, or who the players are, the Gopher Men's BB team always has one 5-minute stretch every game where they forget the goal of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and they become hopelessly inept on offense for an extended period.

When I watch the Gophers, in the back of my mind I just keep wondering when the dreaded "Gopher lull" will strike. Last night was a longer lull than usual.

I would agree they need a conventional PG. Unfortunately, they don't have one on the roster. Coffey is not a PG, and Washington still has flaws in his game.

One can only wonder what this team would look like with Carr at the point. I guess we'll never know. Thank you, NCAA.

He played a ton at the end of last year out of necessity and he got better. It's unfortunate he's regressed, but him getting back to that is our only hope IMO. The line-up with Coffey at point is brutal against zone defense. All teams have to do is deploy it when necessary and we'll basically go scoreless for 5-10 minutes. It's very much like when Hoffarber played PG in 2011. It's screwing us in 2 spots. Coffey is not a good PG, and we need him at the #3 spot as McBreyer currently offers nothing.

I agree with you about Coffey at the point. I think he is being minimized by playing this position. The hope is that Washington can take it over. I'm just not sure that he is ready for it yet though. He just has to play more under control or I'm not sure if he can play 30 minutes a night without hurting the team.

Was an extremely weak call, they called 3 charges all game, the rest were blocks.

Being able to avoid foul trouble is a myth, sometimes it finds you.

Especially if a lot of penetration is allowed by weak defense provided by guards.

Your first point is exceptionally false. His last foul he could have avoided it by either making a move or shooting the open jumper in the paint. The defender was about 5 feet off of him, directly between Murph and the basket. And Murph decided to put his head down, move towards the defender who was planted in the lane, and put a shoulder into his chest. Clear charge and extremely frustrating 30 seconds after being put back into the game with four fouls.

Your second point is not false though, when someone gets into foul trouble, it should be known how to avoid fouling out. A combination of head down drives to the hoop and reaching at balls 80 feet from the basketball are both ways to surely foul out of a game when you have 3 fouls early in the second half. That's a fact.

It's reoccurring with Murph so far this year and it's cancerous in games when no one else can get a basket.

Your first point is exceptionally false. His last foul he could have avoided it by either making a move or shooting the open jumper in the paint. The defender was about 5 feet off of him, directly between Murph and the basket. And Murph decided to put his head down, move towards the defender who was planted in the lane, and put a shoulder into his chest. Clear charge and extremely frustrating 30 seconds after being put back into the game with four fouls.

Your second point is not false though, when someone gets into foul trouble, it should be known how to avoid fouling out. A combination of head down drives to the hoop and reaching at balls 80 feet from the basketball are both ways to surely foul out of a game when you have 3 fouls early in the second half. That's a fact.

It's reoccurring with Murph so far this year and it's cancerous in games when no one else can get a basket.

So youre going to be the one to coach that out of him in this year?

when has he pulled up from 15 feet ever?

He shoots an occasional three or tries to bull rush the lane and dunk if possible.

those are his two go to's.

He is what he is, and despite your fine post, he aint changing.

wish in one hand and crap in the other and see what gets filled up first.

It just seems like, no matter who the coach is, or who the players are, the Gopher Men's BB team always has one 5-minute stretch every game where they forget the goal of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and they become hopelessly inept on offense for an extended period.

When I watch the Gophers, in the back of my mind I just keep wondering when the dreaded "Gopher lull" will strike. Last night was a longer lull than usual.

I would agree they need a conventional PG. Unfortunately, they don't have one on the roster. Coffey is not a PG, and Washington still has flaws in his game.

One can only wonder what this team would look like with Carr at the point. I guess we'll never know. Thank you, NCAA.

Do you think if putting the ball in the basket is the goal of the game then stopping the other team is at least equal ? I always watch Kenpom to see exactly where teams rank in OE and DE because if your good there you win a great many games and if the DE is elite you survive a whole bunch of those games with 5 minute droughts. I once saw a clinic in person that Bob Knight gave where he showed how you run a effective offense by teaching point to point in execution and said as long as you were efficient it did not matter what you ran. But defense was a different animal as with a 20 hour limit that coaches would short defense thinking they were going to recruit well enough to score enough and never devote the same to defense in recruiting or practice and demand it at all times. He added that programs that do not build that way remain mediocre for decades. The ones that do become meaningful winners. I never forgot that.

The sky is not falling. They looked dead beat from the all the travel, there was no energy in the building and they just couldn't get their shots to fall. If we hit our shots at a normal % for us, that game looks a lot different. College hoops is a long season and we're not going to win them all. We have 5 games that matter on our NC schedule. If we can go 4-1, I'll be very happy.

That said, this is a far from perfect team, as evidenced last night. We really only have two guys who can drain the three consistently in Gabe & Stull (I've heard). Gabe's a Freshman and Stull's too slow to get open half the time. Amir & Dupree have similar shots. They're ok shooters most of the time, but are not natural bombers.

PG is our biggest issue. Amir's fine in transition, but that got shut down last night. Get him into a half court scenario and he's not quick enough & doesn't dribble well enough, especially with his right hand. Same with Dupree, but more so. Jelly's got the quickness and dribbling to be All-B1G, but he's a horrible decision maker at this point. He's grown some already and shows flashes of what can be, but it's inconsistent & as someone who's not in the locker room, I sense he's not that interested in doing things the right way. I get the feeling he's a guy that would rather score 30 and make SportsCenter, than win. I could see him having a long professional career with his hometown Globetrotters. If we're going to get anywhere this year we have to let Jelly take his lumps and learn on the job. My sincere hope is that he wants to learn to play the game the right way, because that's what we need to get to the next level.

Top Bottom