***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT BOSTON COLLEGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

We got punched in the mouth tonight and our response was to lie down on the mat and stay there.

I am still going to reserve judgment on this team because we had a lot of open looks and just couldn't convert. I still like our defense and think we will be tough to beat at home when our defense gets the crowd into it.

My biggest concern is Washington...he has absolutely regressed from how he finished last season. He looked as if he turned a corner but looks very lost again. We need him or this is going to be a long season.

Curious to see how we respond friday. We need to come out guns blazing and kick the piss out of OK State to get the bad taste of this game out of our mouth.

Love Pitino but I think he is just not a good bball coach. His recruiting is overated also. Only way we get Mussleman is if we offer him a boatload of money.

This team is totally unprepared, and just not very good. Are we really going to try and extend this game?

Oh no, the coaching is good, everything is OK they the players just had tired legs from all the travel. sure

We know sleeping or reclining for three hours, stretched out on a non coach style, spacious charter flight, and staying in five star resorts , with no campus distractions will really wear out 19 year olds, leaving them unable to shoot, play defense or make good decisions. Yes, now I remember, travel is so hard.

Pitino does not seem too interested in throwing out the script and trying something new when plan #1 fails does he?

At some point maybe they could have ditched the half court, played pressure defense, and let Washington and the young players push it up the court hard, or at least shake it up a little. Washington is awful doing anything but pushing it up the court with Omersa and Gabe might have changed things.; probably not but this sucked. It is not the end of the world, but as someone else pointed out the blueprint for crushing this team is out there now.

Last edited:

It’s inevitable that a team in college b-ball ****s the bed a few times a year, and it’ll be hard to shoot this bad again. What bothers me is that the areas where we have constantly struggled under Pitino (offensive flow, shot selection, fouling, help defense and leadership) have shown zero signs of progress and at some point it’s clear he isn’t capable of getting it done. I wholeheartedly think that this can be a NCAA team (especially if Curry is healthy) but if we don’t go dancing this year, it’s tough to see how Pitino keeps his job. Which would be a huge bummer because he’s a likeable guy and I think he’ll figure it out eventually.

Also, this result isn’t all that surprising since the Sports Gods had to remind us what it means to be a gopher fan after the Wisco game. No more than a sip of success for us.

It's big 10 and we have the new facilities. His dad coached here and loved it. He has mentioned he loves it here.

I fully believe he would come here.

I'm ready for something different.

I am very pissed off in thinking of next year without Murphy. Those guards who were ineligible will have to be all-stars.

Unless things improve, we will find out if he loves it here. I’d take him in a heartbeat. But to fire Pitino and have no coach ready to take over would be reminiscent of firing Tubby and ending up with your 8th choice in Richard Pitino.

Also, I still believe Richard can win here. He has to do it though. I believe in Santa but doesn’t mean he drops presents off for me

Is Eric Curry the greatest player ever? A lot of posters seem to think he’ll cure all. I don’t remember him that fondly and he hasn’t played a game for over 18 months.

Our guys were sleep-walking in an empty YMCA gym tonight and it was embarrassing. I think the coast-to-coast travel and the break might have had something to do with it, but they sucked in a big way.

The lack of a player that is quick enough to break his man down AND distribute or score the ball is the biggest deficiency on this team and it is very evident against a zone defense. Nate Mason was more or less that person the last couple years despite his lack of height and obviously there is nothing close on this roster to NM.

Is Eric Curry the greatest player ever? A lot of posters seem to think he’ll cure all. I don’t remember him that fondly and he hasn’t played a game for over 18 months.

No my expectations are tempered, but he does do a lot of little things that will help a lot. He does very well passing against the zone. He will struggle score I think, but passing and defending should come back quicker.

How many years are you willing to give him to test that theory?

You didn’t quote my entire post. You cherry picked this.

I said “I still believe Richard can win here. He has to do it though.” Which implies he needs to win or he is out.

Eric Curry as a frosh was much better than Omersa (who I expect to improve) as a frosh. My hope is that Curry will take Omersa's largely unproductive minutes if he can get healthy. For all his highly publicized athleticism I have not seen evidence of it on the court.

No my expectations are tempered, but he does do a lot of little things that will help a lot. He does very well passing against the zone. He will struggle score I think, but passing and defending should come back quicker.

I agree. But people act as if he is a 25/12 kind of guy when he will likely struggle a lot early

Musselman might come here, but he can get anyone in to school at Nevada, and he can scoop up some second chance type guys with a lot of talent, which means winning most of his games and getting into the NCAA almost every year and doing some damage like last year.

Reno is not a bad place to live, especially if you have a very high income and can live up in the mountains or fly to SF or wherever whenever you want, but then again Musselman Jr. might be looking for the big lights of the Big Ten at some point as well.

I hope Pitino gets it together though , as I like his recruiting (forget the Star Tribune BS), and hope for better results with in game coaching when things go wrong early on, or in this case the whole second half.

Last edited:

Eric Curry as a frosh was much better than Omersa (who I expect to improve) as a frosh. My hope is that Curry will take Omersa's largely unproductive minutes if he can get healthy. For all his highly publicized athleticism I have not seen evidence of it on the court.

Did you watch the Omaha game?

I agree. But people act as if he is a 25/12 kind of guy when he will likely struggle a lot early

Yeah, no chance he scores right away. My expectations for him are to basically bury Omersa on the bench. Curry should(emphasis on should) play good defense, keep the ball moving and generally not look lost on the court.

You didn’t quote my entire post. You cherry picked this.

I said “I still believe Richard can win here. He has to do it though.” Which implies he needs to win or he is out.

Well, you seemed to be hedging as you didn't set a timeline. I guess you answered the question with this post.

We got punched in the mouth tonight and our response was to lie down on the mat and stay there.

I am still going to reserve judgment on this team because we had a lot of open looks and just couldn't convert. I still like our defense and think we will be tough to beat at home when our defense gets the crowd into it.

My biggest concern is Washington...he has absolutely regressed from how he finished last season. He looked as if he turned a corner but looks very lost again. We need him or this is going to be a long season.

Curious to see how we respond friday. We need to come out guns blazing and kick the piss out of OK State to get the bad taste of this game out of our mouth.

Agree with your take and expressed it on the other thread. Players (not just IW) have regressed and IW is shooting at a historically awful clip.

Curry was (I hope hs knee will be the same, could be cooked) was a relatively athletic big man, who could bang with Big Ten 4s and 5s. Curry was and probably will never be a dynamic scorer, or at least the kind of scorer this team needs right now, as the big holes are not at the 3,4 and 5 spots.

If the guard play can get a lot better than it was tonight, Curry will make a strong forward group much stronger, which could carry the team a long way in the Big Ten, but this only matters if the guard play can rise above where it is now.

Gabe shooting 3s at a high percentage is not what can be counted on to carry this team forever and it all crashed tonight., but there is no way McBrayer and Coffey are his bad. Washington needs to extract his head from where it is stuck. There is something very wrong with IW right now, physically (looks lumbering and slower) and mentally.

Last edited:

If????? If the Queen had testicles she'd be called King.

Do you have even a clue what his three-point percentage was last season? He was pretty good. Unfortunately, not so tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curry was (I hope hs knee will be the same, could be cooked) was a relatively athletic big man, who could bang with Big Ten 4s and 5s. Curry was and probably will never be a dynamic scorer, or at least the kind of scorer this team needs right now, as the big holes are not at the 3,4 and 5 spots.

If the guard play can get a lot better than it was tonight, Curry will make a strong forward group much stronger, which could carry the team a long way in the Big Ten, but this only matters if the guard play can rise above where it is now.

Right now we look like a team that only Steph Curry might be able to salvage.

Just a poor night but very early to be worried. Several posters are throwing players under the bus. People watched IW highlight tapes and fell in love. He was never a shooter and did not know how to play. He needs more time in a structured team setting. Fans raved about Stull, this is a big step up. Daniel was hailed as a huge impact day one, give him time. Omersa, super athlete but again he needs time. He would be a redshirt in a ton of programs. Curry will be back, slow down, it is a long season.

Then why in the name of God do you say you "love" him?

Because he’s a great interview, funny, honest and overall seems like a guy the players enjoy.

I think people like him as a coaching personality, but those qualities are unfortunately not transferring into winning basketball games.

I really want him to succeed, I just don’t see this roster and this style of basketball making any noise in a deep B1G conference.

Curry scored just fine two years ago. He was athletic and had a nice ten foot jumper

Do you have even a clue what his three-point percentage was last season? He was pretty good. Unfortunately, not so tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dupree shot 34.3% from three last year.

He's made 34.1% of his threes during his career at the U of M.

He's not a good three point shooter. Below average at best.

If we are saying we lost a game because Dupree didn't make more threes then the problem is that he's taking enough of them for it to matter that he's missing them.

Just a poor night but very early to be worried. Several posters are throwing players under the bus. People watched IW highlight tapes and fell in love. He was never a shooter and did not know how to play. He needs more time in a structured team setting. Fans raved about Stull, this is a big step up. Daniel was hailed as a huge impact day one, give him time. Omersa, super athlete but again he needs time. He would be a redshirt in a ton of programs. Curry will be back, slow down, it is a long season.

I agree.

Murphy and Oturu getting into early foul trouble in the first half disrupted the whole game. The offense couldn't get into a flow at all, and everyone lost confidence in their shot since nothing was falling.

BC switched everything on defense, so keep moving the ball and at some point you'll have a mismatch. Would have liked to see Coffey be more aggressive when others had foul trouble early, instead he made shots late when the game was decided. Stockman needs to play more physical, you cannot allow yourself to get dunked on by a 6-1 guard. I don't care if it's their best player, that can't happen.

Some nights the shots just don't fall. We were getting good looks, just didn't make them. Pitino can't take the shots for them, they have to go out and execute. We've seen shooting become contagious when you're making everything, and the opposite is also true. You can have nights where it doesn't matter how open you are, it just won't fall and you lose confidence. McBrayer is really struggling, but the shot itself looks fine. He'll figure it out. Move on to OK State on Friday, it'll be hard to shoot that poorly again.

I'll be honest the guy that has been disappointing so far this year for me has been Coffey. I hope it's just him getting used to playing the 1, but so far this year, he hasn't been great. Or at least he hasn't shot very well. I'm not too worried about him, I still think outside of Murphy, he is our best player. But getting a little better shooting/more from him would really help this team.

Our guys were sleep-walking in an empty YMCA gym tonight and it was embarrassing. I think the coast-to-coast travel and the break might have had something to do with it, but they sucked in a big way.

The lack of a player that is quick enough to break his man down AND distribute or score the ball is the biggest deficiency on this team and it is very evident against a zone defense. Nate Mason was more or less that person the last couple years despite his lack of height and obviously there is nothing close on this roster to NM.

The problem is you don't break down your man to score against a zone you pass the ball, it takes no quickness, you need floor balance and a coach that prepares and knows wtf they are doing. Pitino is as bad as Tubby in that respect.

The problem is you don't break down your man to score against a zone you pass the ball, it takes no quickness, you need floor balance and a coach that prepares and knows wtf they are doing. Pitino is as bad as Tubby in that respect.

I agree that we seem to have no clue how to attack a zone. Since this was also a Tubby problem, it concerns me that Richard hasn't fixed this. Surely he should've learned how to attack a zone from his dad. So do we have players who can't grasp the basic concepts and execute? Or are we just crappy shooters? If you can't shoot FTs, you're not likely to shoot well when someone is guarding you.

Top Bottom