PA's take on the Gopher football offense/Seth Green

If they change Seth Green's role next year, I would rather it be to throw more often from the wildcat QB slot. This season 71 of 76 times (93%) it was a run, but when passing Green had a heady 232.5 passer rating. The element of surprise helped that along, but I think Green could sling it 20% of his plays and give the Gophers a better balance from the package.

They also could sub out the QB for an extra playmaker if Green was more a threat to throw.

I’d think the element of surprise came from running the ball 93% of the time. If you started throwing more often, wouldn’t that kinda eliminate the surprise?

Green will likely never play as a true TE at Minnesota or in the pros. Let's move on from that.

Why does it matter how they list him on the roster? What a weird topic. They could list him as a punter, and he could still play at any position....

Green will likely never play as a true TE at Minnesota or in the pros. Let's move on from that.

Why does it matter how they list him on the roster? What a weird topic. They could list him as a punter, and he could still play at any position....

I don't think he'll ever play one here, he'll be more of a big WR and wildcat QB.

But the pros, I wouldn't be so confident if I were you.

I also don't think the point of this discussion is where they list him, it's people having a curiosity about where he will actually play. This isn't coming out of nowhere.

Of course Morgan wasn't going to keep it, because we don't run a read option.

Can we maybe get a thread stickied on the top of the football forum explaining what an RPO is so people stop complaining about Morgan not keeping the ball?

Agreed. I've tried to help people understand the difference...you can lead a horse to water...

Of course Morgan wasn't going to keep it, because we don't run a read option.

Can we maybe get a thread stickied on the top of the football forum explaining what an RPO is so people stop complaining about Morgan not keeping the ball?

I listened to Gopher Illustrated post WI game podcast and during it Ryan Burns mentioned that the coaches want Morgan to run more and he has the green light to do so at any time, but is not choosing to enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I've tried to help people understand the difference...you can lead a horse to water...

Quite sure I have seen SG17 run read option, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another consideration is this:

When Green is in as a WR he can easily flip to the Wild Gopher and put either QB far outside in the WR role. That keeps one defender out there and they both watch the play. I won't speculate that they may or may not work a pass play to the QB in the future, but that is not the point.

This is necessary so there is no change in personnel on the field which would necessitate giving the defense time to make personnel adjustments. If he is in as a tight end, who fills that spot on the line to block when there is a 95% chance that it is a read option run? Move QB1 to the outside and have a WR move to the end of the line to block a DE?
This point is so important and why I think a lot of fans don't understand why you have a QB out wide that is "doing nothing." The defensive group looks a lot different when it's an obvious SG up the middle vs Tanner or Zach with Green as WR. PJ did a great job using that to his advantage this year. I hope they do more of the same next year. I don't see why he would need to change it much, other than a few new "change up" plays

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If the offense doesn’t utilize the tight end then why would an elite tight end make a big difference?

Top Bottom