Finishing Strong in the Big Ten - This Year Was Different

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
So my gut feeling was that these last 3 Big Ten games were way different then anything we had seen here in a long time but thought I would take a look back and see if I was right. Here is what I found (please note this does not include bowl games).

2018 - 2 wins - 1 loss - +43 total point differential in those 3 games

2017 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-37)
2016 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-4)
2015 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-6)
2014 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-13)
2013 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-10)
2012 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-26)
2011 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-24)
2010 - 2 wins - 1 loss - (-16)
2009 - 1 win - 2 losses - (-26)
2008 - 0 wins - 3 losses - (-81)
2007 - 0 wins - 3 losses - (-39)
2006 - 3 wins - 0 losses - +60
2005 - 2 wins - 1 loss - +20

You have to go all the way back to 2010 to find the last time we won 2 of our last 3 conference games. You have to go all the way back to 2006 for the last time we were 3-0 and also to find the last time we had a positive point differential over those 3 games.

May or may not end up meaning anything in the long run but confirms my suspicion that this was a much stronger close to the regular season then what we have seen in a while. Here's hoping it also signifies that the program is finally turning a corner towards bigger and better things because as good as the offense has looked at times, it honestly feels like they are just scratching the surface of what they can become as the players get more experience. Pair that with the type of defense we saw down the stretch and that is a formula for a really good team, and one that can compete for the West title in the very near future.

Kind of amazing that the coach got fired after the only 3-0 finish.

Definitely a major positive for the team, clearly shows that the team has advanced from where it was a few weeks ago.

In all fairness to the 2014, if you include the Iowa game, we went 2-2 at the end of the season and did pretty well. That season ended with a blowout win vs Iowa, 7 point loss to Ohio State (eventual national champion), win vs Nebraska (road game against a ranked opponent) and a 10 point loss vs Wisconsin (went on to defeat Auburn in their bowl, finished the season ranked 13).

2010 sure was a wild ride in the final games. Didn't expect much in the Illinois or Iowa games and the team ended up pulling off some great moments.

Kind of amazing that the coach got fired after the only 3-0 finish.

Yeah. I'll always respect Mason for elevating the Gopher program from the toilet and wish he could have coached in TCF which he helped build, but that Texas Tech epic collapse in 2006 that got him fired and many other epic unlucky losses permanently injured my Gopher psyche.

Yeah. I'll always respect Mason for elevating the Gopher program from the toilet and wish he could have coached in TCF which he helped build, but that Texas Tech epic collapse in 2006 that got him fired and many other epic unlucky losses permanently injured my Gopher psyche.
I said it at the time. That 3-0 finish in 2006 was one of the best coaching jobs by Mason during his tenure. Maturi was spoiling to fire Mason, and the collapse (we were celebrating heartily at Sun Devil Stadium at half) in Tempe gave the AD the ammo to call in the firing squad. Maturi’s unpreparedness in not having Mason’s replacement in his back pocket/at the ready, got us Brew, and set the program back (I would argue) 10 years.

People forget this. He was in so far over his head, it was incredible. And people whine about Coyle . . . .

And people whine about Coyle . . . .

Also, what nobody on GopherHole seems to recognize or just fails to admit is that Coyle hired Dino Babers at Syracuse. To this point, it appears that was a good hire and Coyle knew what he was doing. 4-8, 4-8, 9-3

they named a building after Maturi, so there's that on campus now forever

I said it at the time. That 3-0 finish in 2006 was one of the best coaching jobs by Mason during his tenure. Maturi was spoiling to fire Mason, and the collapse (we were celebrating heartily at Sun Devil Stadium at half) in Tempe gave the AD the ammo to call in the firing squad. Maturi’s unpreparedness in not having Mason’s replacement in his back pocket/at the ready, got us Brew, and set the program back (I would argue) 10 years.

People forget this. He was in so far over his head, it was incredible. And people whine about Coyle . . . .

Mason was on with Barreiro last week and if I remember correctly he intimated or said that it wasn’t Maturi that made the decision to fire him. I got the feeling the directive came from Bruininks.

Also, what nobody on GopherHole seems to recognize or just fails to admit is that Coyle hired Dino Babers at Syracuse. To this point, it appears that was a good hire and Coyle knew what he was doing. 4-8, 4-8, 9-3

I should like Coyle because he hired a good coach at Syracuse? OK, who cares about how he handled that whole scandal - look at the Orange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom