Which season would you rather have?

• 6-6 Beat wisconsin at camp randall, win the Axe

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • 8-4 in a really good bowl game

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
I assume this one is a no brainer, Beat wisconsin at camp randall.

Probably should have put the years in the poll since this is clearly a comparison between 2016 and 2018. Looking at those 2 years I would take 6-6 because it still leads to bowl eligibility and includes a big win over a rival.

The better bowl game is nice from 2016 but there were no rivalry wins that year and in both cases you are still on the outside looking in at the West division title race.

There were no qualifiers on the poll - it was a choice between 6-6 or 8-4. More wins are better than fewer wins.

Please note - if given a choice between beating WI and beating IA, I would choose IA every time. I dislike IA far more than WI. Personal preference. If you told me the Gophers would beat IA every year, and never beat WI again, I would take that deal. I realize most will disagree. different strokes for different folks.

It's funny.....I was just thinking about this yesterday. Same exact scenario. Axe for sure. In a couple years if we can start to level the playing field.......I might have a different opinion. But we needed to snap that streak in the worst possible way.

There were no qualifiers on the poll - it was a choice between 6-6 or 8-4. More wins are better than fewer wins.

Please note - if given a choice between beating WI and beating IA, I would choose IA every time. I dislike IA far more than WI. Personal preference. If you told me the Gophers would beat IA every year, and never beat WI again, I would take that deal. I realize most will disagree. different strokes for different folks.

That's fair, I dislike Wisconsin more, but not enough I'd trade beating them every time for losing to IA every time

I can tell you live in SW Minnesota. In the metro, the Wisconsin fans are super obnoxious/arrogant. For that reason I'd always rather have us beat WI.

I voted for the 6-6 season here, but my vote would change depending on circumstances. If we had beaten Wisconsin 6 out of the previous 7 years, I might have chosen the other option. But under the current circumstances with that intollerable losing streak to Wisconsin, I'd trade dang near anything for that win.

Does 8-4 get you in a "really good bowl game"?

Interesting to look at the our last two best seasons and how they compare to this year.

We beat 3 bowl teams this year and went 6-6. Fresno, Purdue, Wisconsin
2016 8-4 regular season and only beat 3 bowl teams before beating Washington State in the bowl game (Colorado St., Maryland, Northwestern).
2014 8-4 and only beat 2 bowl teams Iowa and Nebraska.

I assume this one is a no brainer, Beat wisconsin at camp randall.

I voted being 8-4, but the decision was tougher than I thought. 8-4 is okay, but it doesn't move the needle enough for it to be automatic. It would have to be 9 or more wins to be a slam dunk. Yes I realize my vote contradicted what I said.

It's all about context. If you go ahead 2 years and assume the Gophers have won the last two games with WI, I would take the 8-4 over the 6-6. The fact that the streak is broken is very important.

I was at the state fair in 2017 when Fleck was being interviewed in front of the U of M building. They were taking questions from the crowd and somebody half-jokingly asked how much he would beat Wisconsin by in his first battle for the axe later that fall. He gave a typical coach-speak, non-answer about taking every game one at a time and they are all important, blah, blah, blah. Then he followed up by asking if the fans would really be happy going 1-11 with the only win coming against the Badgers. The crowd, in unison shouted "YES!". It was pretty comical and PJ looked honestly shocked. I think it was then that he realized exactly how important it was to end the streak.

I would've clicked 6-6 w/ Wisconsin if we had just lost the 15th in a row, but since we just got the monkey off our back I went with the 8-4.

I can tell you live in SW Minnesota. In the metro, the Wisconsin fans are super obnoxious/arrogant. For that reason I'd always rather have us beat WI.

I grew up in Albert Lea and definitely hated Iowa more growing up. Once I moved up here to go to the U I realized how sh!tty wisconsin fans can be. wisconsin hatred has skyrocketed!

I voted 6-6 with win over WI - but I am still riding the high of Saturday. Wouldn’t trade that day for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably a bridge too far, but I'd even take a 5-7 season with no bowl if it included the drubbing of Wisconsin in Madison that we just dished out. Short of a rose bowl appearance, there is nothing more satisfying than beating those pricks.

I grew up in Albert Lea and definitely hated Iowa more growing up. Once I moved up here to go to the U I realized how sh!tty wisconsin fans can be. wisconsin hatred has skyrocketed!

Hey I grew up in AL too. Stupid Iowa drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take a 1-8 season if the sole victory is against Wisconsin. It will have be much sweeter if this was the only lost they had that knocked them out of the playoffs. But, that wouldn't happen.

This team was destined to make history after that fiery PJ Fleck speech. You'd want to run through walls for him. He was saving that for this moment.

The whole team played with attitude. This win lifted a lot of long suffering Gopher fans up! We had a young team that learned through their failures collectively as PJ Fleck has mentioned they would early in the season.

I can't be more happier for the team. They are winning in the classroom and in community service. And they win eventually win a title down the road.

This victory against Wisconsin just ticked up the recruiting meter a notch. So, which recruits did PJ Fleck go visit after the Wiscy game? Anyone?

Not even close, beat wisconsin. Would have been tougher if you stipulated lose to wisconsin but still win the west and be in the championship game.

Not even close, beat wisconsin. Would have been tougher if you stipulated lose to wisconsin but still win the west and be in the championship game.

That one is easy for me. As much as I would hate to lose to Wisconsin I would take a division title and spot in the championship game every time.

That one is easy for me. As much as I would hate to lose to Wisconsin I would take a division title and spot in the championship game every time.

After losing to the badgers for 14 straight years I would honestly have to think about it...

My head says 8-4, heart says 6-6. If it weren't for the monkey off the back factor, I'd say a 8-4 hands down. I'll still say 8-4, because that would have me feeling better about our chances next season.

I picked 6-6, with a relative notion to this year. I just wanted that streak to end, and thankfully it did. If this was a case where it was a back and forth type thing, like in the last 10 games with the Badgers it was 5-5 or 6-4 either way, I'd be less inclined to just have a 6-6 record and pick 8-4. But, with it not happening since 2003, it was time. Plus at the very least it gets us bowl eligible.

Moving forward, yeah, I'd like 8-4. But hey, even if next season we go 8-4 and lose to the Badgers, we can still keep the trophy case full with the Chair and Floyd.

Wonder if/how the votes would change if the 6-6 was TC and the 8-4 was PJ...

The results would still side with whichever choice involved winning back the Axe.

It would not change for me

I liked Kill
I liked Claeys
I like PJ

Most importantly, I like the gophers and I root for who is on the team and who coaches the team. My view on success isn't dependent on guy's schtick, be it I'm a simple country boy, or row the boat

My head says 8-4, heart says 6-6. If it weren't for the monkey off the back factor, I'd say a 8-4 hands down. I'll still say 8-4, because that would have me feeling better about our chances next season.

I'm feeling optimistic about next season.

Top Bottom