Detroit News: Quick Lane Bowl offering free tickets; best possible game is MN vs WMI

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

During the high-school state finals at Ford Field this weekend, there was a P.A. announcement about Quick Lane Bowl tickets starting at $29.

Truth is, they actually start at zero dollars.

By going to quicklanebowlsweepstakes.com, you can claim up to two free tickets to the Dec. 26 game, while being entered into a contest for a grand-prize pack from Quick Lane. You have until Dec. 12 to enter the contest.

Kickoff is set for 5:15 on Dec. 26 at Ford Field, with the game televised by ESPN.

It's not yet known which teams will play in the bowl game, which has ties in with the Big Ten, the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Mid-American Conference.

With nine Big Ten teams and 10 ACC teams bowl-eligible, there's a strong likelihood that the game could feature one Power Five team, if not two.

The best-possible draw for the bowl, of course, would be Minnesota against Western Michigan, which would feature a rematch between P.J. Fleck and his old Broncos team. Minnesota became bowl-eligible in Fleck's second season with Saturday's 37-15 whipping of Wisconsin, while Western Michigan is 7-5 in Tim Lester's second season.

The best-attended bowl games in Detroit over the last decade have been games that featured one of the state's MAC schools, usually Central Michigan.

Last year, the announced crowd was 20,211 for Duke's 36-14 win over Northern Illinois. Two years earlier, it was 34,217 for Central Michigan's 21-14 loss to Minnesota.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ee-tickets-dec-26-game-ford-field/2108643002/

Go Gophers!!

Detroit should not be hosting a bowl game.

The Gophers are just glad to be in ANY bowl game this year. We should graciously accept anything we can get and hopefully next year we can get something a bit more tasty!

I third that. Certainly better in the summer, but some good watering holes and coney dogs.

I know that Detroit (or any other cold weather locale) is not what one envisions when one thinks of a Bowl Game. Granted. But....for me, I would LOVE to see my beloved rodents in the Quick Lane Bowl. It's almost the only Bowl commutable for me (Detroit is about 3 hours away). I can't afford to travel to Santa Clara, San Francisco, etc. My son and I attended the Quick Lane Bowl the last time the Gophers were there (2015? 2016?) and had an amazing experience! Downtown is actually VERY nice! Fun! Exciting! Whomever (or whatever groups) have been working on Downtown Detroit, I commend you for a job well done! Traffic in-and-out was OK. Parking was reasonable. "Bowl Experience" was great. Being out of the State, my opportunities to see my Gophers are few-and-far between....and my son and I got to see a Gopher Bowl Victory (I haven't checked but I reckon there are less than 30 Bowl Victories EVER....and we got to see one of them). I am praying that the Gophers go to the Quick Lane Bowl again this year...and it would be poetic justice for this year's team. We are a BOWL TEAM, but barely. I am a Gopher Lover (first) and I have always liked (but not loved) the Fleck hire. I just LOVE my Gophers! If they could play their Bowl Game within driving distance, I would so love that!

I got to see a Gopher Bowl Victory (I haven't checked but I reckon there are less than 30 Bowl Victories EVER....and we got to see one of them).

30 seemed high so I checked. The Gophers have won 7 bowl games. SEVEN.

1962 (Rose Bowl), 1985 (Independence Bowl), 2002 (Music City Bowl), 2003 (Sun Bowl), 2004 (Music City Bowl), 2015 (Music City Bowl), 2018 (Holiday Bowl)

FWIW, the mighty Gophers have only played in 19 bowl games, including an axe like drought from 1986 to 1999. However, we've played in 13 bowl games since 2000 so the addition of a bunch of 6-6 bowl games has helped us play in more of them

30 seemed high so I checked. The Gophers have won 7 bowl games. SEVEN.

1962 (Rose Bowl), 1985 (Independence Bowl), 2002 (Music City Bowl), 2003 (Sun Bowl), 2004 (Music City Bowl), 2015 (Music City Bowl), 2018 (Holiday Bowl)

FWIW, the mighty Gophers have only played in 19 bowl games, including an axe like drought from 1986 to 1999. However, we've played in 13 bowl games since 2000 so the addition of a bunch of 6-6 bowl games has helped us play in more of them

True stat, but it's important to note that the Big Ten didn't allow member teams to play in any bowl other than the Rose Bowl until 1975. Because of this, historical bowl numbers are lower at Big Ten schools (even OSU and Michigan) than they are at like schools in other power conferences.

Figured this thread was worthy of a bump with the news. Try to save gopher fans some coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they're no longer giving them away. They probably hit their limit.

Top Bottom