Poll: Should Fleck have gone for 1 or 2 when it was 36-7?

When the score was 36-7; should Fleck have gone for 1 or 2?

• Go for 1 - This is about culture.

Votes: 46 74.2%
  • Go for 2 - Eat your heart out Bielema!

Votes: 16 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
I think he did the right thing going for 1; but this is a rivalry...going for 2 would have been justified.

In the Michigan/Ohio State Rivalry, Woody Hayes said (being ahead 48-14):
"On the Buckeyes' last touchdown, Hayes elected to go for the two-point conversion. When asked afterwards by reporters for his reasoning? He replied simply,

"Cause I couldn't go for three."

Last edited:

Fleck wasn't here for Bielema, why should he care? Plus doing that just isn't Fleck's style and I would be disappointed to see any Gopher coach pull that move.

Keep your foot on the gas during a huge lead, sure, but doing something that blatant to run-up the score? Distasteful.

go for 1, we are classier than uw

If Bielema were still roaming their sidelines then I would absolutely say go for 2. But given the circumstances on Saturday, going for 1 was the right call. Even if the card says you go for 2....still one of the lamest reasons for running up the score ever given by a coach....

I love your style, and I loved the comment in the game thread that said, "Go for 3" :) But as others have said, going for 1 is the obvious answer here. Let the fans joke around about going for 2.

Fleck wasn't here for Bielema, why should he care? Plus doing that just isn't Fleck's style and I would be disappointed to see any Gopher coach pull that move.

Keep your foot on the gas during a huge lead, sure, but doing something that blatant to run-up the score? Distasteful.

I couldn't have said it better. Bielema is a Grade A A-hole and I don't care what measure of distaste he had for Brewster, going for 2 in that game situation was totally classless and exposed him for what he truly is.

Fleck and Chryst are friends.
No need to go sour on someone in that situation and too early to start burning bridges.

Depends on what the game card said.

Go for 2 ?

No, no, and NO.
Crappy sportsmanship like that will eventually bite you on the arse.

As a Gopher fan, I say no, no need to go out of your way to kick them when they are down.

That said, had we done it, my response to any Badger fan who whined about it would be the same response I had to Brewster when Bielema did it: if you dont like it, then defend it.

If Brew or Burt were still around, maybe. But we're on our third coach since then, WI is on their second. Not sure Fleck even knows it happened (Chryst would since he was OC).

I supposed based on Chryst being there at the time it would have been a little bit appropriate, but you don't know how Chryst felt about it. He may not have been happy Burt put him in that position.

Instead, maybe we should just beat them again next year!

Last edited:

You just kick the extra point. As Sam Wyche might say "You don't play for Wisconsin, you play for Minnesota!".

What would Miley Cyrus say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else besides me kinda upset that they went for 2 down by over 20 points with only 1:20 remaining and then did an onside kick? Good way to get someone needlessly hurt with the game no longer in doubt, almost as bush league as Bielema going for 2 IMO.

It briefly crossed my mind at the time, but if the roles were reversed, I'd want us to do the same.

Just because the other team was being an ass about going for two, doesn't mean that your team should stoop to that level and go for two.

If you're a jerk because someone else is a jerk.... you're just as much a jerk.

He should have told Morgan to take a knee. Make it even more embarrassing for the badgers

Anyone else besides me kinda upset that they went for 2 down by over 20 points with only 1:20 remaining and then did an onside kick? Good way to get someone needlessly hurt with the game no longer in doubt, almost as bush league as Bielema going for 2 IMO.

This is why you go for 2.

I really liked when San Fran had Young fake taking a knee in the Super Bowl and throwing the bomb for the touchdown. But that was at the end of the first half during the Super Bowl. Not a silly rivalry game you haven't won in 14 years.

Try to have some perspective.

Game was over, no need for possible injuries. But it's a rivalry and they wanted to make a point I guess. I'm of the mind that if a losing team wants to keep pulling shenanigans like that, alright, you want us to keep embarrassing you. Granted, I'm a bit more hockey-minded than football.

Last edited:

I think he did the right thing going for 1; but this is a rivalry...going for 2 would have been justified.

In the Michigan/Ohio State Rivalry, Woody Hayes said (being ahead 48-14):
"On the Buckeyes' last touchdown, Hayes elected to go for the two-point conversion. When asked afterwards by reporters for his reasoning? He replied simply,

"Cause I couldn't go for three."
Only if BB was still coach.

I only said 2 because we have a card for those scenarios and the card says go for 2

I only said 2 because we have a card for those scenarios and the card says go for 2

I always wondered if Barry made the cards....and Bert might have been subtly trying to hint it wasn't his idea...

Bielema and Brewster did not get along. It was as simple as that.

Yep, Bielema wanted to rub it in Brewster's face he just didn't want to admit that was his reason so he went with the lame card told him to do it line which everyone knows was just complete BS.

Both guys seem like the types who would happily irk the other just for the sake of it.

Still not sure that they'd make game time calls to do it though.

Yep, Bielema wanted to rub it in Brewster's face he just didn't want to admit that was his reason so he went with the lame card told him to do it line which everyone knows was just complete BS.

That was the brilliance of Bielema. The players loved playing for him. He was an asshat but he was our asshat so all was good. Standing there and saying it was on the card with a little smirk on his face was classic BB.

I think it all started when he came on PA's show around the time they landed Allen and said that Minnesota was like instate recruiting for the Badgers. That did not sit well with Brewster, to say the least.

Top Bottom