Next year's starting quarterback is......

A good problem indeed. I can't imaging Zach or Tanner transferring.... particularly not for next season. Both of them are PJ's boys .... and Zach is basically a hometowner who brought his high school buddies along for the ride.

Agreed, we'll have all 4 next year, but at some point I would expect 1-2 of them to leave.

Just on social media I've seen a lot of pro Kramer hype. In all honesty, I expect a transfer or two between the 4 as only one can play and none seem candidates to play different spot. I say that as a good problem to have.....

Possibly. It's always a possibility with QBs.

On the other hand, with the 4 game rule, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that ZA could get a RS season one of these years and we could get some class balance.

As far as Clark/Kramer, it'd be a good problem to have. I wouldn't ever begrudge a QB for transferring to get PT, but it almost always happens when someone else has grabbed the position. We're the only place that had mass QB transfers without anyone really grabbing the position.

Agreed, we'll have all 4 next year, but at some point I would expect 1-2 of them to leave.

QBs definitely move around a lot more now then they used to. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. As long as we can keep from being in a position where you only viable options are players like Croft and Rhoda we should be fine.

Right now I'd give the edge to Morgan, but as others have said, it should be an open competition going into next fall.

Possibly. It's always a possibility with QBs.

On the other hand, with the 4 game rule, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that ZA could get a RS season one of these years and we could get some class balance.

As far as Clark/Kramer, it'd be a good problem to have. I wouldn't ever begrudge a QB for transferring to get PT, but it almost always happens when someone else has grabbed the position. We're the only place that had mass QB transfers without anyone really grabbing the position.

Obviously far too early to predict. I wouldn't begrudge anyone leaving, because I'm projecting the reason that we have entrenched starter.

I'm just getting a little ahead of myself with our QB riches

I just don't see Green being the FT QB in a Fleck/Ciarocca offense.

I think he'd be the guy had we not had a regime change, but I agree, just doesn't seem a good fit. Kudos to him for sticking it out as wildcat QB and spot Wr/TE

I think he'd be the guy had we not had a regime change, but I agree, just doesn't seem a good fit. Kudos to him for sticking it out as wildcat QB and spot Wr/TE

Gotta think Seth is enjoying this role, gets to get in there in high leverage situations and has also seen the endzone quite a few times.

I just don't see Green being the FT QB in a Fleck/Ciarocca offense.

I think he has turned out to be a heck of a team player. Does not seem to have begrudged that he will not be a traditional QB here, has embraced everything that has been asked of him, and is turning into a true leader as well.

It would seem that he recognizes his value is not under center (traditional sense), and that if he wants to play on Sundays, this is the way to go.

QBs definitely move around a lot more now then they used to. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. As long as we can keep from being in a position where you only viable options are players like Croft and Rhoda we should be fine.

Fleck wants to bring in 2 QB's every year because there is always a chance of some leaving. He also said having QB's leave isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

If we have 2-3 options every year, we should be good.

I agree with those that want to make it an open competition. It seems that Morgan is a bit more of a gamer at this point than Zach. So if Zach looks good in practice, but it's still close, I go with Morgan.

He is great as a change of pace wildcat QB. He likely would have difficulty executing the quick throws consistently.

I’d be disappointed if we started a true freshman again next year. I think it’s Morgan’s job to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck wants to bring in 2 QB's every year because there is always a chance of some leaving. He also said having QB's leave isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

If we have 2-3 options every year, we should be good.

I agree with those that want to make it an open competition. It seems that Morgan is a bit more of a gamer at this point than Zach. So if Zach looks good in practice, but it's still close, I go with Morgan.

I'd be shocked if we brought in 2 scholarship QBs next class.

I’d be disappointed if we started a true freshman again next year. I think it’s Morgan’s job to lose.

If it happens, it means Clark or Kramer is better, which isn't a bad thing at all. Does anyone begrudge Ibrahim and Williams getting RB reps instead of JFC?

Maybe we start the Bowl in the wildcat with SG behind center, ZA and TM at WR! Get all three of them in there!

I think Zack will get a chance to win back the starting job for the Bowl Game if he's healthy. I'm not sure he is, but I'd suspect over the 25 practices he'll get a shot to claim the starter role.

Tanner has looked good, but the line play has been night and day better. Also, with Zack playing hurt for a few games, his stats suffered.

I don't fear either starting. I don't know that I have a favorite. I haven't felt this way maybe ever for a pair of Gopher QB's. Even Nelson and Leidner always felt like whoever won the job was just going to tank in a couple weeks resulting in a swap. I don't feel that with these two.

I watched Kramer play in the State Semi-finals and Finals. He's clearly got athletic ability, but as someone noted, it's hard to evaluate a QB in Eden Prairie's offense, because they run most of the time, and only throw when they have to (3rd-and long, and other low-percentage situations.)

Having said that, I certainly didn't see anything special as far as his throwing ability. seems to have a fairly strong arm, but was not always on target.

Again, small sample size, but I've certainly seen more impressive HS QB's in MN. (Suggs at SMB is an off-the-charts athlete, but he's probably going to play hoops in college....)

Make it an open competition, why give it to anyone?

If it happens, it means Clark or Kramer is better, which isn't a bad thing at all. Does anyone begrudge Ibrahim and Williams getting RB reps instead of JFC?

Playing True Freshman RBs and QBs are not really the same argument. I’d rather not see it again at the QB position for a number of reasons.

Ibrahim isn't a true freshman.

Playing True Freshman RBs and QBs are not really the same argument. I’d rather not see it again at the QB position for a number of reasons.

I don't want to argue this to death, but who cares? We know both TM and ZA are good, and both should improve next year as well. If Clark was good enough to come in and win the job as a true frosh, it means he's probably a potential all Big-Ten or All-American player one day. Clemson had no issue replacing a senior QB that only had 1 career loss with a true freshmen and they are the #2 team in the country.

I took a poll at work -
Fleck Lovers: Doesn't matter, either will be fine.
Fleck Haters: Doesn't matter, both will suck. Also had a few Seth Greens.

I don't want to argue this to death, but who cares? We know both TM and ZA are good, and both should improve next year as well. If Clark was good enough to come in and win the job as a true frosh, it means he's probably a potential all Big-Ten or All-American player one day. Clemson had no issue replacing a senior QB that only had 1 career loss with a true freshmen and they are the #2 team in the country.

Few tr-FR QBs come to campus with the skill set of Lawrence - even fewer to MN. Sure, if Clark is that good play him. I see your argument that if he is better he should play and it is hard to argue against that without context. QB is one position I just don’t like to see it happen at here —- too much to learn. As I said, I’ll be disappointed if we are doing that again next year. If we are, I hope he wins a lot of games, but I’ll have higher expectations if we aren’t.

I want Reusse to try out. He should have some eligibility left.

Morgan. At this point Annexstad has shown some potential but that’s it. Morgan has actually done it - performed respectably vs Big Ten teams. He’ll have to play his way out of starting.

He is great as a change of pace wildcat QB. He likely would have difficulty executing the quick throws consistently.

This, but I would like to see a few more throws to keep the defense more honest. I’m rather surprised we have been as successful as we have given the lack of passing. Credit to the O-line and Green for his power running.

I was very high on ZA, but TM has done a tremendous job in relief. I fully expect Morgan to be the starter in the bowl game.

I also expect it to be a completely wide open competition in the spring, and don't have any idea who will end up the starter. Unlike past years, that's not a bad thing. We have talent to work with, it's just a question of who rises to the top.

JTG

Top Bottom