Tanner Morgan 3-2 in Big Ten

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
This may get lost in the hoop la, but as a starter 3-2 in the Big.

Morgan seems to have very good leadership, poise, intelligence, and mental toughness. He’s also been pretty accurate and been able to make pressure throws.

I’d say pretty darn good for his first 5 collegiate starts. I thought that 1st pic vs NW Bateman slowed up/stopped on the route. Really only 1 bad pic that I can recall.

Anyhow, just wanted to give a shout out to Morgan. Think he’s flown a little under the radar in the appreciation realm. Guessing not many Gopher QB’s have started their careers as a freshman and gone 3-2 in the Big with a win at wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner has been good, but this offense was good before he took over against similar competition.
The difference is the defense.

We are averaging 32.2 per game with Tanner.

Tanner has been good, but this offense was good before he took over against similar competition.
The difference is the defense.

We are averaging 32.2 per game with Tanner.

This offense was not nearly as good in the Big before he took over. Averaged less than 20 points a game and only had 8 points in the 1st half vs Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that he had to do very little in the two biggest wins because they ran the ball so well. It's not a knock on Morgan, I just prefer run-heavy offense backed by a strong defense.

The offense definitely improved after he came in. The little things, eg mobility matter. We haven’t seen enough of a healthy and experienced Annexstad to draw any definitive conclusions. Good problem to have.

I'm excited to see how they progress and the QB battle next fall. I am curious how ZA would have fared with the improved O-Line play. Remember when we were worried about him making it through the season in one piece because the line was so porous? He didn't get the chance to play after the O-Line became a strength.

Also, a quick reminder of what a healthy ZA is capable of:

https://youtu.be/9hZpve1CpGE

I'm excited to see how they progress and the QB battle next fall. I am curious how ZA would have fared with the improved O-Line play. Remember when we were worried about him making it through the season in one piece because the line was so porous? He didn't get the chance to play after the O-Line became a strength.

Also, a quick reminder of what a healthy ZA is capable of:

https://youtu.be/9hZpve1CpGE

The icing on the cake is that both guys got experience this year and we still made it to a bowl game with 2 freshmen QBs. Will be interesting to see how this competition plays out. So nice to look at the roster and see multiple capable options at QB for a change instead of just hoping for the best.

Just the MN fan in me, but does there come a time where one of them is named the starter, and the other eventually wants "outta here" and the -chance to start at another program? (i.e., Nelson, Demry Croft, etc.) Sorry, I just had to ask. :(

Just the MN fan in me, but does there come a time where one of them is named the starter, and the other eventually wants "outta here" and the -chance to start at another program? (i.e., Nelson, Demry Croft, etc.) Sorry, I just had to ask. :(

I don't think so. They both seem to embrace the culture and like the coach. Morgan was a WMU recruit, so he followed Fleck here. ZA turned down other schollies to play with his brother and Fleck. I'd guess they both stay.

Top Bottom