What does our starting OL and DL look like next year?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Thinking Dunlap, Faalele, Andries, Dickson and Olson (not in any order) for the OL.

Otomewo, OJ Smith, Teague or Schad (if he sticks with us), Coughlin (or if he moves back to LB) Reigelsberger.

Thoughts?

Thinking Dunlap, Faalele, Andries, Dickson and Olson (not in any order) for the OL.

Otomewo, OJ Smith, Teague or Schad (if he sticks with us), Coughlin (or if he moves back to LB) Reigelsberger.

Thoughts?

I'd say the OL looks about right. Not gonna guess on DL right now with a few targets still out there should be a little more clear after signing day. Also not knowing if they plan to continue to use the rush end that Coughlin played or not. Personally I'd like to see Coughlin at OLB in the base defense and you could still put him down as a pass rusher on passing downs.

I'd say the OL looks about right. Not gonna guess on DL right now with a few targets still out there should be a little more clear after signing day. Also not knowing if they plan to continue to use the rush end that Coughlin played or not. Personally I'd like to see Coughlin at OLB in the base defense and you could still put him down as a pass rusher on passing downs.

Yeah, I like your thinking on Coughlin. I think he will be an OLB in the NFL anyway, so would be good to get him a year of film and experience there.

Thoughts?

Barring any transfers/injuries I would think this would be the lineup. Exciting to see how we rotate our d-line next year to keep guys like Coughlin and Otomewo fresh. Reigelsberger will hopefully live up to the hype, and guys like DeLattiboudere, Renner, Devers, and Silver provide some experience. Saw Mafe out there once in a while too. All in all, should be a deep d-line next year, looking forward to it!

Really hoping we hold onto Keonte Schad - the DT commit from Ellsworth CC who has been offered by Oklahoma and UCF recently. I think he'd be a plug and play guy.

Hopefully it's a good sign that on his Twitter yesterday he re-tweeted a Congrats to Fleck and the Gophers with a bunch of pics of him on his visit to MN.

Really hoping we hold onto Keonte Schad - the DT commit from Ellsworth CC who has been offered by Oklahoma and UCF recently. I think he'd be a plug and play guy.

Hopefully it's a good sign that on his Twitter yesterday he re-tweeted a Congrats to Fleck and the Gophers with a bunch of pics of him on his visit to MN.
Tweet was from his girlfriend and the pictures were from the game yesterday they attended as fans I believe he is originally from Milwaukee.

Tweet was from his girlfriend and the pictures were from the game yesterday they attended as fans I believe he is originally from Milwaukee.

Thanks for clarifying! I'd say that's an even better sign.

Thoughts?

Agree on the OL. Olson to C perhaps?

Another DL that is intriguing to me is Chris Daniels - Juco DT. Current offers from Georgia and Missouri. He was a 4 star HS DT with offers from everyone - Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas A&M, wisconsin, Arkansas, Baylor, Miami, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa, Utah, Washington, Kansas

Not sure what happened to him at Texas but obviously lots of coaches thought there is talent.

Agree on the OL. Olson to C perhaps?

Another DL that is intriguing to me is Chris Daniels - Juco DT. Current offers from Georgia and Missouri. He was a 4 star HS DT with offers from everyone - Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas A&M, wisconsin, Arkansas, Baylor, Miami, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa, Utah, Washington, Kansas

Not sure what happened to him at Texas but obviously lots of coaches thought there is talent.

I believe Olson already played some C as a freshman? So that would make sense. Dickson seems to be the biggest uncertainty, but I think the fact he redshirted means we value having him play a lot for his 2 years.

As far as DL, I was just reviewing the commits on 247 and I forgot how many exciting DLs we have. Both those JC DTs and then DeAngelo Griffin from Georgia. As far as DE, both of those St. Louis kids - Harris and Anderson - have REALLY nice offers.

As much as I love Gary Moore, his story and what he accomplished as a student at the U, I don't think we lose much across the DL for next year. With everyone getting bigger and faster and adding the JC guys, I think DL could be a huge upgrade next year.

I believe Olson already played some C as a freshman? So that would make sense. Dickson seems to be the biggest uncertainty, but I think the fact he redshirted means we value having him play a lot for his 2 years.

As far as DL, I was just reviewing the commits on 247 and I forgot how many exciting DLs we have. Both those JC DTs and then DeAngelo Griffin from Georgia. As far as DE, both of those St. Louis kids - Harris and Anderson - have REALLY nice offers.

As much as I love Gary Moore, his story and what he accomplished as a student at the U, I don't think we lose much across the DL for next year. With everyone getting bigger and faster and adding the JC guys, I think DL could be a huge upgrade next year.

I'm optimistic about the DL. Pretty decently rated kids with quality offers. Also seem to have some size to them. Assuming some of the recruits PJ would like to RS but hoping another influx of talent lets Coughlin move to LB more and let him be used in a variety of ways. A strong DL would help the LB and DB crew immensely.

We need someone to keep track of the mobile QB, is that Coughlin at LB or Winfield at safety/LB?

I had heard previously that they like John Michael Schmitz at Center, thought haven't heard his name mentioned in a long time. I would guess it would be him or Olson at Center next year. Hopefully, Dickson is the real deal at Tackle as Schlueter was a disaster this year so we need a bookend with Faalele to emerge. It would be nice if York or Sassack can provide better depth at Tackle than we had this year.

On the Defensive line, I think Boye Mafe has a chance to emerge. He flashed some against Purdue.

I don't think Schlueter's days are done as a tackle.
He was still candidate to switch back yesterday if needed as a backup when Faalale got dinged.

Off-season of work... he could improve enough to start again.

What's crazy is that we have a bunch of guys that didn't even get mentioned, Royal Silver, Nate Umlor, Logan Richter, Malcolm Robinson, Noah Hickox add more depth to DT than I recall us having in a long time. Ahanotu and Okonji add depth to DE. Granted other than Silver these guys are all underclassmen, but some will be in their third year with the program and could likely contribute.

Here's what I'd like to see for the OL (left-to-right):
Andries-Olson-Schmitz-Dunlap-Faalele

DE rotation: Otomewo, DeLattiboudere, Mafe, Reigelsperger, Devers, Ahanotu, Okonji
DT rotation: Smith, Silver, Renner, Teague, Umlor, Hickcox, Robinson, Schad, Daniels

We have a ton of bodies to rotate in all along the DL, hopefully with little or no dropoff.

Two questions:

1. Why didn't we see the RS Fr DT (Robinson, Hickcox) play much or at all this year?
2. Will we see Umlor play some DE, especially against power running teams? I thought he played more than serviceably as a true Fr, and it would be nice to have a DE playing at 285-290 in the Big Ten.

Wonder if Schlueter will continue to play as the true sixth OL.

If it works ... it works. We’d be the only offense in DI football doing it, but if it works then I don’t care!

Ends that big are only in true 30 fronts. That’s too big for 40 fronts.

Top Bottom