Big Ten Power Rankings Thread Week of 11/26

Omaha World Herald chimes in with Gophers 8th:

8. MINNESOTA (6-6, 3-6)
Last week: Beat Wisconsin 37-15

P.J. Fleck fired his defensive coordinator after a 55-31 loss to Illinois. Minnesota’s defense proceeded to shut down Purdue, slow down Northwestern and obliterate a beaten-up Wisconsin. Fleck’s gusty choice paid off.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_2d590900-6981-5db3-9cae-791f3d699048.html

Go Gophers!!

MLive.com chimes in with Gophers 9th:

9. MINNESOTA (6-6, 3-6)
Can you row the boat with Paul Bunyan's axe? Just as it seemed safe to count out P.J. Fleck, the Gophers ended a 14-year losing streak to Wisconsin, rolling to a 22-point win in Madison. Minnesota is going bowling now, after grabbing wins over Purdue and the Badgers in two of the final three weeks. Minnesota's defense allowed just 40 points in three games since the 55-point debacle vs. Illinois.(Last week: 12)

https://www.mlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/11/1a0ee538d79586/big-ten-power-rankings-jim-har.html

Go Gophers!!

They are as impressed by last Saturday as we were.

It is amazing how after years of new coaches, wondering if THIS is the year something long term and meaningful was beginning - We get to go into an off season with a young team that improved throughout the season before our eyes, with a lot of players coming back with a manageable schedule awaiting them in 2019. Anything can happen, but right now it feels really, really good. After the Illinois game I started to have doubts, but when looking at the big picture and the results after the Smith firing - it is easy to be optimistic right now.

It is amazing how after years of new coaches, wondering if THIS is the year something long term and meaningful was beginning - We get to go into an off season with a young team that improved throughout the season before our eyes, with a lot of players coming back with a manageable schedule awaiting them in 2019. Anything can happen, but right now it feels really, really good. After the Illinois game I started to have doubts, but when looking at the big picture and the results after the Smith firing - it is easy to be optimistic right now.

Odd how just 3 games out of a whole 12 game season can make you feel that way, but I will admit I feel similarly. The thing I'm most excited about is all of the talent we return on the OL next year. Andries, Falaale, and Connor Olson coming back along with what I predict will be Jason Dickson at LT and then Curtis Dunlap/Dovich/Schmitz somewhere on the interior as well. I assume it will be Dunlap but it kind of makes me wonder how he will fit into the starting lineup if he isn't better than either of the starting guards. Could you play him at center? Not sure to be honest. Regardless I think we have really struggled to have a solid OL in quite awhile which is a big reason we have struggled offensively although we have not had an abundance of talent at the QB or WR position.

I recall PJ Fleck saying that when he was at WMU there was a moment during the second season when a light went on and everybody started to figure things out. Perhaps Robb Smith was just some kind of electrical resistor that needed to be removed to allow the players to have their "light bulb" moment?

I recall PJ Fleck saying that when he was at WMU there was a moment during the second season when a light went on and everybody started to figure things out. Perhaps Robb Smith was just some kind of electrical resistor that needed to be removed to allow the players to have their "light bulb" moment?

that is a good way to put it and I hope that is the situation

Robb Smith tripped the breaker at Illinois...Fleck quickly reset it.

Odd how just 3 games out of a whole 12 game season can make you feel that way, but I will admit I feel similarly. The thing I'm most excited about is all of the talent we return on the OL next year. Andries, Falaale, and Connor Olson coming back along with what I predict will be Jason Dickson at LT and then Curtis Dunlap/Dovich/Schmitz somewhere on the interior as well. I assume it will be Dunlap but it kind of makes me wonder how he will fit into the starting lineup if he isn't better than either of the starting guards. Could you play him at center? Not sure to be honest. Regardless I think we have really struggled to have a solid OL in quite awhile which is a big reason we have struggled offensively although we have not had an abundance of talent at the QB or WR position.

I wonder if we'll see Olson at center next year. He's got the motor, the smarts and the experience as a starter. Anybody know if he played any center in high school?

JTG

Lincoln Journal Star chimes in with Gophers 8th:

8. MINNESOTA (6-6, 3-6)

Previous: 12. Last week: W 37-15 at Wisconsin.
What a way to close the regular season for P.J. Fleck and company. They stomp historic rival Wisconsin on the road. They take back Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in 15 years. And, oh yeah, they qualify for a bowl game in the process. Probably one of the best days of Fleck’s time in Minneapolis so far.

https://journalstar.com/minnesota/article_0453a1c8-d518-509c-b376-82c878a30fb9.html

Go Gophers!!

BTN chimes in with Gophers 10th:

10) Minnesota (6-6, 3-6)

Minnesota beat Wisconsin 37-15 on Saturday. The win not only made the Golden Gophers bowl eligible, but it brought home Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in 14 years. Mohamed Ibrahim ran for 121 yards and a TD for Minnesota. Bryce Williams ran for two TD’s in the fourth quarter, both of which came on two Alex Hornibrook turnovers. Tanner Morgan got the start at QB for Minnesota going 9-16 for 124 yards. Minnesota’s defense was able to force Hornibrook into 4 turnovers, 3 INT and losses fumble that led to 24 Gopher points. This was Minnesota’s first victory in Madison since 1994.

http://btn.com/2018/11/26/big-ten-power-rankings-a-final-list-ahead-of-big-ten-title-game/

Go Gophers!!

Actual Standings

Conference Play

tOSU - 8-1
Michigan - 8-1
NW - 8-1
-----------
Penn State - 6-3
-------------
MSU- 5-4
Iowa - 5-4
Purdue - 5-4
Wisconsin - 5-4
--------------
Minnesota - 3-6
Maryland - 3-6
Nebraska - 3-6
----------------
Indiana - 2-7
Illinois -2-7
------------
Rutgers - 0-9

Overall Record

tOSU - 11-1
-----------
MI - 10-2
-----------
PSU - 9-3
-----------
NW - 8-4
IA - 8-4
----------
MSU - 7-5
WI - 7-5
-----------
Minnesota - 6-6
Purdue - 6-6
-----------
MD - 5-7
IN - 5-7
----------
NE - 4-8
IL - 4-8
---------
Rutgers - 1-11

I wonder if we'll see Olson at center next year. He's got the motor, the smarts and the experience as a starter. Anybody know if he played any center in high school?

JTG

That's kind of what I thought but then again could Dunlap play center? I honestly don't know but I sort of expect either Olson or Dunlap to be playing C next year. I mentioned Dovich above but he might be a good guy to stay at G and roam around.

Actual Standings

Conference Play
-------------
MSU- 5-4
Iowa - 5-4
Purdue - 5-4
Wisconsin - 5-4
--------------
Minnesota - 3-6
Maryland - 3-6
Nebraska - 3-6
----------------
Indiana - 2-7
Illinois -2-7
------------

Funny how we beat two of the four teams in the 5-4 grouping, but lost to three of the four teams in the 3-6/2-7 grouping.

Top Bottom