What would have happened if PJ Fleck waited until the end of the season?

hungan1

Reaction score
What would have happened if PJ Fleck waited until the end of the season to fire Robb Smith?

Probably not as drastic as Robb Smith costing Bret Bilema his job at Arkansas. But, I think beating Purdue and Wisconsin wouldn't have happened.

Illinois routing the Gophers was a blessing. It let to early dismissal of Robb Smith.

I hate to see a DC lose his job that way. But, it would have cost long term damage to the program by waiting for three games at the end of the season to pull the plug on Smith.

PJ Fleck would have been in a world of hurt recruiting wise without a bowl appearance two years in a row. Then, you worry about the lack of momentum.

Robb Smith did well in his first year at Arkansas with his predecessor's player. But, his Defense steadily got worst. You can't intellectualize or overthink a Defensive Scheme. To him, it seems that it became an end in itself. If it is too complex, the players are going to loose you.

The word is Rossi studied films hard and looked at tendencies of opponents, and he simplified everything allowing players to react instinctively. I stand corrected.

Wow, what a difference three games made in Gopherhole and Gopher fandome.

Credit PJ for making the tough decision, never easy to make a big change mid season and fire a friend.

Credit PJ for making the tough decision, never easy to make a big change mid season and fire a friend.

This and many unknowns. Feel much better about our recruiting for the future as well as maintaining what recruits we have. Much improvement.

Top Bottom