Has Anyone Heard Anything RE: Our 2019 Early Season Tourney?

WriterGoph

Reaction score

Curious if anybody has heard anything about which tourney we will be in next season? I feel like lots of teams have already had this announced, but I checked this link and nothing is listed: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/...vents-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Based on what is already listed, the best one it looks like we can hope for would be the NIT Tip-Off (nothing listed for it yet).
Haven't heard anything but I'd bet if we are in one it will be one of the 2 game ones. We already have @Utah and Oklahoma State in Tulsa next year. Then you always have the B1G/ACC challenge and could be in the Gavitt games again next year.

Potion Senior was never a fan of bracketed tournaments. It appears Richard is following suit.

I’m sitting here on the last day of The Wooden Legacy, a bracketed tournament, in row 2 and liking it. They are a lot of fun and a great way for fans to get up close.

Clearly the disadvantage is not being certain who you will play. The set games worked great this year it were not great last year. There also aren’t many of them. I’d like to see Richard sign us up for one again. Not knowing the second opponent is good dry run for NCAA.

Potion Senior was never a fan of bracketed tournaments. It appears Richard is following suit.

I’m sitting here on the last day of The Wooden Legacy, a bracketed tournament, in row 2 and liking it. They are a lot of fun and a great way for fans to get up close.

Clearly the disadvantage is not being certain who you will play. The set games worked great this year it were not great last year. There also aren’t many of them. I’d like to see Richard sign us up for one again. Not knowing the second opponent is good dry run for NCAA.

Here is what we have done during Pitino's tenure:

2018 - Vancouver
2017 - Barclays (Brooklyn)
2016 - NONE
2015 - Puerto Rico
2014 - NONE (although played Louisville on naval base)
2013 - Maui Invitational

So my guess is that - unless we are playing some kind of special neutral site game - we will end up in one. But if not, we'll def have an opportunity to add a marquee game or two.

Saw you on TV sporting your Gophers cap! How’s Doug Collins doing?

Curious if anybody has heard anything about which tourney we will be in next season? I feel like lots of teams have already had this announced, but I checked this link and nothing is listed: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/...vents-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Based on what is already listed, the best one it looks like we can hope for would be the NIT Tip-Off (nothing listed for it yet).

Not likely the NIT, as Oklahoma State will be one of the 4 teams along with Syracuse and Ole Miss. Unless our game vs. Ok State gets pushed back a year?

Saw you on TV sporting your Gophers cap! How’s Doug Collins doing?

Doing great but the guy can barely walk. Pretty intense but not obnoxious fan. I was internally amused when he complained about a Fresno guy flopping, since his kid practically invented the concept. Someone screen shot the picture and is calling me Forest Gump!

Pitino has mentioned on his radio show several times that he hates these tournament in high school gyms because of the weird (lack of) atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for other scheduling avenues, but I also find it interesting that 8/14 B1G schools are also currently not attached to an early season tourney for next year. Maybe the expanded B1G schedule is playing a role?

I really wish Pitino would reconsider his stance on this.

The only way we are going to get games against the big dogs is if we play in these early season tournaments.

Here is what we have done during Pitino's tenure:

2018 - Vancouver
2017 - Barclays (Brooklyn)
2016 - NONE
2015 - Puerto Rico
2014 - NONE (although played Louisville on naval base)
2013 - Maui Invitational

So my guess is that - unless we are playing some kind of special neutral site game - we will end up in one. But if not, we'll def have an opportunity to add a marquee game or two.

Actually in 2016, they played in the Golden Gopher Showcase against Arkansas, UT-Arlington, So Illinois & Mount St Marys with Minnesota getting 4 home games.

It was a 5 team round robin, except UT-Arlington and So Illinois did not play each other.

In 2014 they were in the NIT and played W Kentucky, Franklin Pierce (DII), Georgia & Wake Forest.

Last edited:

I really wish Pitino would reconsider his stance on this.

The only way we are going to get games against the big dogs is if we play in these early season tournaments.

Agree, get in a tourney where there is a top 25 and a top 10 and i do think if invited to that type, Maui or Atlantis then you will get top tier games.

Top Bottom