Gophers ranked 25th in new CBS poll

Speaking of rankings, I was looking at kenpom and see we are ranked 45th while Maryland is ranked 33rd. Both teams are undefeated but our schedule has been much more challenging than their schedule. Seems to me our rankings should be reversed. Would appreciate it if someone who understands kenpom better than myself would explain why Maryland is ranked so much ahead of us.

Speaking of rankings, I was looking at kenpom and see we are ranked 45th while Maryland is ranked 33rd. Both teams are undefeated but our schedule has been much more challenging than their schedule. Seems to me our rankings should be reversed. Would appreciate it if someone who understands kenpom better than myself would explain why Maryland is ranked so much ahead of us.

Can't remember if KenPom is the one that (this early in the season) is still factoring in some games from last year? If so, we'd definitely be getting dinged for how we ended the year.

Can't remember if KenPom is the one that (this early in the season) is still factoring in some games from last year? If so, we'd definitely be getting dinged for how we ended the year.

Yes it does still factor in last season somewhat. I believe it’s supposed to be a predictive ranking, and previous results can give at least some indicator of future results.

Thanks. If last year is considered, then kenpom rankings should probably be taken with a grain of salt until those games are eliminated from consideration, I would think. Also, would then expect to see gopher's kenpom ranking take a significant jump as our record last year was no doubt worse than most in the top 50.

wow, 8 teams from the big ten in the top 25. Going to be a tough league this year.

Not sure they have earned it yet, win the two this week and then for sure in the top 25.

Can't imagine us as a top 25 right now, but it really doesn't matter. What I'd like to see is Washington take the same jump in the next month as he did in the last 10 games of last season. Get Curry back, in shape, and with minimal rust in the next month. See McBrayer get his offense back (probably just needs to see the ball go through the net to get his confidence back) and see Oturu keep improving (as one would hope a freshman could do, assuming an occasional step backwards from time to time, hopefully made up for with a step & 1/2 forward) in the next month or so. If Stull, Stockman and Omersa can get to the point in mid-Jan. that you can expect a solid 10-12 minutes per game out of them, still not sure if they'll be a top 25 team, but I can certainly see them being a top-40 and a top-5 Big Ten team.

Recruits look at rankings the sooner u can be ranked and the longer u can stay there the better.

Top Bottom