Game 6: Gophers Host Syracuse (11-29-18)

Wow! Great win. Let’s get Hubbard back and keep it rolling.

Great job Gophers! It was so nice to see the gals fight through that Syracuse run and then take care of business.

72-68 MIN final

Beast Bello 20 pts, 18 reb

This should shoot Minnesota up to around #16.
Boo-yah

Bello can’t talk. She must be shy in front of the crowd.

Looks like a guy from Gopher Hole no doubt!

Gritty and gutty effort. Great win. Bello was terrific. She's a great rebounder and has a chance to be an all-conference type player. And she has not been in foul trouble this year. Last year, she would come into games and seemingly always collect fouls fast and furious. I'm too lazy to look at the box score now, but did Bello even get a rest? Bell will drive you crazy sometimes with her shot selection and wild shots, but she is very athletic and she can create shots. And 9 rebounds for her tonight. Lamke was solid on the boards. Pitts with some great assists in the first half. Brunson started strong offensively, but seemed to be less aggressive offensively as the game went on. I thought I saw Seimone Augustus at the game, but not sure. As the season moves along and the broadcasters look at key wins for each team at the end of the year, this will be one of those wins for the Gophers. Whalen off to a good start in her coaching career.

Super fun game. Glad I went kind of last minute. Very impressive comeback. Didn’t look great when down 61-55 but a huge 3 by Pitts spurred the comeback

We got ourselves a coach!!!
Agreed. Something was said in the timeout at 61-55 that flipped the switch. The team looked completely different the rest of the way. Very impressive.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Is that Iggy? :cool: I

No, I sit upperdeck. Nor was I the fan getting into it from the stands with Quentin Hillsman in the fourth. This game had a bit of everything beginning with the technical and ending with the Gopher comeback.

The Gophers neutralized the zone press and then neutralized the extended zone. Syracuse then packed in the zone and dared Minnesota to shoot threes; fortunately, Bello, Bell and Lamke were rebounding demons and Lamke and Bello hit just enough jumpers to annoy the Orange.

The Syracuse man defense gave the Gophers more problems; but it's not really what the Orange do. I was a little surprised, Hillsman stayed with the big lineup most of the night. The Orange's most effective player may have been Lewis the Buckeye transfer. Anyway, it's nice not to have wait til B1G play to get a big W!

40 minutes apiece for Bell, Bello, and Pitts. 13 boards for Lamke. Gophers outrebound the Orange 50-33. 13 turnovers for the Gophers not bad against Syracuse pressing defense. Gophers played only 7 players. Plenty of PT should be available for the bench in the next two games. Nice win for Purdue tonight against #21 Miami.

Iggy, you're right...ex-Buckeye Lewis was Syracuse best player tonight.

What an improvement in Lamke's play this year! Certainly hope Hubbard can contribute this year. The Barn is going to start filling up again. Fun game.

What a fun game ! Whalen gets her USA jersey, the axe makes an appearance and we get the big W . I thought the cheap foul called on Bell in the 4th sparked her to take over the game and got us the victory. Syracuse is chippy and Hillsman is a puke. Augustus was there to cheer on Whay. I am impressed with the improvements so far this season. Can't wait until Hubbard joins them as we could have used her 3 point shooting tonight.

Taiye Bello was great all game. Wish we could utilize her twin in the rotation for rebounding and to give fouls. Bench is going to have to grow a little bit during Big 10 play. Awesome crowd tonight, get off the couch and buy a ticket folks. Great fun and team plays to win. Keneisha Bell #23 worth price of admission.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

5567-F52-B-9-BF5-42-A3-A4-A6-81-B536-C642-E4.jpg

Shades' post shows Lamke as the leading simple +/- player.

Gophers:
+7 Lamke
+4 Pitts, Bell, Brunson, Bello
0 Perez
-3 Kaposi

Orange:
+4 Lewis, Foppossi
+3 Djaldi-Tabdi
0 Engstler
-1 Mangakahia
-4 Strautmane
-6 Young, Cooper, Finklea-Guity
-8 Drummond

Taiye Bello was great all game. Wish we could utilize her twin in the rotation for rebounding and to give fouls. Bench is going to have to grow a little bit during Big 10 play. Awesome crowd tonight, get off the couch and buy a ticket folks. Great fun and team plays to win. Keneisha Bell #23 worth price of admission.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I'm pretty much new to the Gopher Women's basketball bandwagon. Does Kehinde get any playing time? Being twins (identical?), you would think she would have many of the same athletic traits as her sister. I'm just curious to know the reason for her not playing much. Thanks in advance for any input on this! Go Lady Gophers!

She rarely plays and, from what we’ve seen, she’s much less skilled.

Top Bottom