PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 11-25-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio.

Sid: What a victory. Now the off-season will be great. How did you stop Taylor?
PJ: so proud to bring the axe back. great for alumni, the state, the Twin Cities area. this was for everybody. we're going to share it with everybody throughout the year. we'll have a campaign to do that. Our defensive game plan was very good. we didn't know which QB was going to play for WI. We had to make sure the QB has to beat us. our game plan was perfect. the guys made a ton of plays. all of the TD's on offense were scored by Freshman. Julian Huff with an INT, Williamson made a big play, Barber big play, Durr with an INT. we won the turnover battle, won the tackling battle, made explosive plays. there's a lot of things to cover. I'm thankful for the people who made the trip.

Sid: Offensive line. WI OL was on sports shows. Your line outplayed them.
PJ: It starts with Weyler and Greene. we've got a young group. they've matured and gelled during the season. Coach Callahan doing a great job molding them. they believe in the culture. they're doing something that hasn't been done. we dominated the line of scrimmage. had to get 3rd and 3, 4th and 1. we dominated in the run game when we had to. Mo Ibrahim, played in 9 games, and he's close to 1,000 yards. Bryce Williams contributing. OL playing better. we didn't play well a few weeks ago. it's all about growth. we got Curtis Dunlap in there for a few plays. the young guys are getting experience for the future.

Max: the run game - was that in the game plan, or based on a feel as the game goes on?
PJ: it's a feel. we knew we had to run the ball. we thought we could exploit them in the passing game, but to do that, we had to have the run game working with the run-pass option. had to execute. staff talked before game, I told them we want to be aggressive. went for it on 4th downs. keep drives alive. had a 9-minute drive. had ball most of 4th quarter. that's our style of football - what we want to implement.

Mona: 9 minute drive. you could feel the air sucked out of Camp Randall.
PJ: we haven't been here that long. that's how you think WI football is played. we got to do that to someone in their own stadium. got to beat them at their own game. we want to be balanced. Ty Johnson, Rashod Bateman, Demitrius Douglas, Chris Bell blocked a lot. that's what we needed. at WMU, we were 1-2 in time of possession battle. needed to not turn ball over. make plays in every area. Douglas' Punt Return was phenomenal. great to see the Freshmen step up on huge stage.

Sid: could you feel this going into practice?
PJ: I've felt it all year with this team. they want to get better. they know who they are they're one of the youngest teams in the country. they're going to fail. it's the best of times, and the worst of times. The opening lines from "The Tale of Two Cities." that's what this team has been about. They row the boat; keep their oars in the water. The fans met us back at campus. had a great time - people were able to get pictures with the axe. we were able to share that with the state of MN.

Sid: you've got 2 good RB's, and 2 more coming back next fall
PJ: we need to keep recruiting. we'll bring 2 or 3 more in next year. need to stockpile recruits, depth. the '19 class is so important. need to evolve. uplift competition within the program. going to be huge competition every year. if they want to keep their job, have to play better, do the right things, do well in classroom. keep elevating the culture.

Max: D-coord change. explain in layman's terms what was different.
PJ: got a lot simpler. Robb Smith is a great coordinator. he did a great job for us. I've known him for a long time. those are the tough decisions you have to make as head FB coach. do what's best for the University. it was time for that to happen. we got a lot simpler. Joe Rossi did an outstanding job, while dealing with a lot of challenges. we allowed the players to play fast, not think as much. the result speaks for itself. tough decisions - we make them for the betterment of the program. not made of haste or reaction - made over a long period of time. Joe Rossi did an outstanding job.

Mona: as you manage 4 game rule for red-shirts, what's the plan for the bowl game?
PJ: we need all our people. this gives coach C and Rossi a month to prepare. we'll get a lot of people involved. we do have some predicaments - we've already played some guys in 4 games. we won't break a red-shirt just to play in the bowl game. it's not worth it. we'll make decisions on some other guys in different roles - get them a 2nd or 3rd game. the young guys get to practice more.

Sid: will the extra bowl practices help the team?
PJ: going into season, we knew that's one of the best things that can happen. we knew the challenge. knew realistically, that maybe it wouldn't happen. we found a way to get through some difficult times. stuck to the process. now we have the opportunity to have a lot of practices. it's like gaining another spring ball. we'll give the older guys time to heal up and be leaders. the younger guys get a chance to get caught up. we'll be playing a lot of FR and SO again next year. need to get them caught up.

Sid: Great win for program. Murray's.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers and Skol Vikings.

Thanks, SON!

Weyler and Greene were unsung heroes all season. They were both plus OL, SRs, and played with a nasty streak.

I'm excited about the future of our OL, but these two were a huge part in turning this around. I'm glad Fleck gave them a shout-out.

Thanks, SON!

Weyler and Greene were unsung heroes all season. They were both plus OL, SRs, and played with a nasty streak.

I'm excited about the future of our OL, but these two were a huge part in turning this around. I'm glad Fleck gave them a shout-out.

+2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, SON!

Thank you SON.

So, will we have some difficulties without those two next fall? Or will we start at almost the same level of O Line play next fall? Anybody?

The O Line unit played really well! I think Callahan truly is good at this...not just PJ hyperbole.

Thank you SON.

So, will we have some difficulties without those two next fall? Or will we start at almost the same level of O Line play next fall? Anybody?

The O Line unit played really well! I think Callahan truly is good at this...not just PJ hyperbole.

It's tough to say. I think we'll miss those two, but we have a pretty strong base.

Big Dan will be better. He was good for a true FR this season, but he has the potential to be dominant.
Blaise Andries and Connor Olson were both really strong as well, and it's hard to imagine they won't improve (especially Blaise (another FR)).
Dunlap was ready to go and should be able to be plugged in, likely at guard with Olson moving to center.
Dickson is currently being RS.

The thing about this year, our OL has been remarkably healthy. We shouldn't miss a beat next year, but if we have injuries, we still aren't incredibly deep.

Top Bottom