Vikings and UMN: PLEASE get AXE and Gopher team on field and Nat't TV vs Packer Game

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Unless the Vikings win the Axe, then yes it is that difficult to understand. I would think the kids that prepared for the game, played in the game and won the Axe should be the ones who get honored.

Look at all these people who never won the Axe celebrating with it. The humanity!! Current player and current NFL/former Gopher embracing each other with the Axe. A travesty!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Both the University of Minnesota and Vikings are important in so many ways to Minnesota and to all Minnesotans. I think it would be absolutely fantastic if the Viking's management and the U administration together could negotiate a way to get the AXE and the entire Gopher team and staff on the field for just a few seconds of TV air time at the Packer game tonight. The players deserve a chance to hear the congratulations and excitement of 50,000 home- supporters missing in Madison; and the Vikings would once again show why they are treasured part of the fabric of Minnesota.

The gopher players, the coaches, and the entire University earned a huge ovation for accomplishing something that has been attempted for 14 years; and Lord knows that it is time for this entire state to see how much fun it would be to just quit waiting for the next bad sports thing to happen, and to simply feel the joy of winning that these young men feel right now! Minnesota-we CAN have nice things and still be nice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ENTIRE TEAM, COACHING STAFF AND THE ADMINISTRATION! Thank you to all the players who love to play the game so much that the rest of us can enjoy our football lives through your enthusiasm, hard work and dedication.

PS: Another SMALL consideration: It might be the best burn since Goldy ripped off his shirt to reveal a Purple Brett Farve jersey at the gopher home game vs the Badgers in 2009. I was there; i cried just a little.

I think it is a great idea but coming from California i am confused about the Vikings being a big part of the fabric of the state. It is not as though they have a storied history of championships where the Gophers do ? I always had the feeling that hockey is in the blood and the fans seem so knowledgeable.

Little AXE Shout out by Tirico and Dungy at the end of Football Night in America on NBC.

That's so cool. It only makes sense to recognize the Gophers victory and the axe. Especially since we are playing the Packers. We shared the dome with the Vikings for how long? Then while US Bank Stadium was being built, they played at TCF. The Gophers are going to play a bball game at the stadium too. I think we underestimate the relationship between the Vikings and the University.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think it is a great idea but coming from California i am confused about the Vikings being a big part of the fabric of the state. It is not as though they have a storied history of championships where the Gophers do ? I always had the feeling that hockey is in the blood and the fans seem so knowledgeable.

We are a multi-strand fabric.

If we had a competent NBA franchise, it would be more popular and get better tv ratings than the wild. The state of hockey just likes hockey more than everybody else.

Last edited:

If we had a competent NBA franchise, it would be more popular and get better tv ratings than the wild. The state of hockey just likes hockey more than everybody else.

Thanks for the hockey explanation. Still what is the fascination with a NFL team that has not won a world title and seems to always let the fans down ? Go Gophers !

Thanks for the hockey explanation. Still what is the fascination with a NFL team that has not won a world title and seems to always let the fans down ? Go Gophers !

Ask Cleveland. Or Detroit. Or a ton of other teams. Or ask 100s of college teams why their fans care.

I was a Vikings fan before I was a Gophers fan. My dad has been going to games since 1961. I’ve been going for 25+ years. Not sure why you think it’s weird fans care about our NFL team

Unless the Vikings win the Axe, then yes it is that difficult to understand. I would think the kids that prepared for the game, played in the game and won the Axe should be the ones who get honored.

You would argue with anything he said. I’m guessing every other person on the board understood why he said Sherels should run out with axe over Tellis Redmon, etc.

Using that logic what is the fascination with the badgers?

I'll hang up and listen.

Love it

Top Bottom