Vikings and UMN: PLEASE get AXE and Gopher team on field and Nat't TV vs Packer Game

greatdane1973

Reaction score
Both the University of Minnesota and Vikings are important in so many ways to Minnesota and to all Minnesotans. I think it would be absolutely fantastic if the Viking's management and the U administration together could negotiate a way to get the AXE and the entire Gopher team and staff on the field for just a few seconds of TV air time at the Packer game tonight. The players deserve a chance to hear the congratulations and excitement of 50,000 home- supporters missing in Madison; and the Vikings would once again show why they are treasured part of the fabric of Minnesota.

The gopher players, the coaches, and the entire University earned a huge ovation for accomplishing something that has been attempted for 14 years; and Lord knows that it is time for this entire state to see how much fun it would be to just quit waiting for the next bad sports thing to happen, and to simply feel the joy of winning that these young men feel right now! Minnesota-we CAN have nice things and still be nice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ENTIRE TEAM, COACHING STAFF AND THE ADMINISTRATION! Thank you to all the players who love to play the game so much that the rest of us can enjoy our football lives through your enthusiasm, hard work and dedication.

PS: Another SMALL consideration: It might be the best burn since Goldy ripped off his shirt to reveal a Purple Brett Farve jersey at the gopher home game vs the Badgers in 2009. I was there; i cried just a little.

If the Vikings don't do SOMETHING with PJ, players, and the Axe.... they're dead to me.

Why not have the entire team at the game tonight, and then have a Gopher player blow the Viking horn?

Don't think that's in the U's power to "force" .... but I also would not be surprised to see it mentioned/shown during the game broadcast. It was a huge, huge storyline ... Minn hadn't won since 2003, and not in Madison since 1994. It will be mentioned, I have little doubt.

Would be amazing to have the axe at the game and show it live, with Gopher players either in U uniforms or Vikings uniforms. THAT would be awesome!

Believe most of the coaches are on planes flying to different places for recruiting trips. Don't think the whole team will be there but would imagine a small group of players maybe 10 or so will be there with the Axe.

The horn blower is decided more than a day ahead of time. Probably Randy Moss today since he is being honored for the HOF induction.

As others said, I’m sure it’ll be shown on the broadcast

I think I heard on KFAN this morning that they are trying to get the axe there, but Gaard thought Fleck was already out of town recruiting. I think it would be a great thing to get at the game.

They won't get any Gophers to sound the gjallarhorn. that was already decided and tonight it is Team Shuster sounding the Gjallarhorn. they won the Curling gold medal. But i do agree with getting the axe at the game.

When is the next Vikings home game? Get the entire team there with the Axe.

When is the next Vikings home game? Get the entire team there with the Axe.

Next home game after this is in week 15 vs Miami. They on the road next week at New England and then the following Monday in Seattle.

It was one game against a rival. It's not a Big Ten championship. It's a good win, and exposure is good too, but how pathetic we have become to suggest that Vikings fans may become Gopher fans when we're 6-6.

I will be there and would like to see Marcus Sherels run onto the field with some current Gophers and the axe . If only to annoy the still drunk cheeseheads who are fans of Becky but mostly just to recognize and celebrate this huge W.

It was one game against a rival. It's not a Big Ten championship. It's a good win, and exposure is good too, but how pathetic we have become to suggest that Vikings fans may become Gopher fans when we're 6-6.

Or maybe it's because we have a common 'enemy' this weekend...wisconsin. No one is saying Vikings fans need to be come Gopher fans (I'm a diehard of both). It's a border battle weekend. Vikings want to beat Green Bay. Why not show off another border battle victory and let people cheer beating wisconsin in something?

I didn't think the parallels of Minnesotans cheering a Minnesota victory over wisconsin and Minnesota victory over Green Bay was so difficult to fathom.

Last edited:

Man- you really can't let anyone enjoy the results for a weekend can you? What is your purpose here? Remind me of a nun rapping you on the knuckles for being too exuberant When talking about winning a big game the night before. Relax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize to Magpie. My thread was suggesting that it might be fun and appropriate to reward the group of coaches and young men who yesterday accomplished a very fun thing which most of us wanted for a VERY long time. I also mistakenly suggested that we could enjoy a positive Minnesota sporting accomplishment without waiting for the next shoe to drop, and the 50,000 football fans at the Vikings game might be a good place to do that.

My bad. I must stop writing now as I need to put both hands over my Cheerios as I fear your aim might be very accurate even at your extreme altitude.

No one is suggesting that. They just want to take advantage of a good opportunity for publicity to the Gophers football program.

Yeah, it's impossible to be fans of both.

It would be fun to have the seniors there with the axe.

It was a long-awaited win against our arch-rival from Wisconsin and tonight the Vikings host their arch-rival from Wisconsin. Seems to be some good synergies to show off the Axe and get the Minnesota fans even more fired up for the Border Battle.

I will be there and would like to see Marcus Sherels run onto the field with some current Gophers and the axe . If only to annoy the still drunk cheeseheads who are fans of Becky but mostly just to recognize and celebrate this huge W.

What does Marcus Sherels have to do with yesterday’s victory? Wasn’t he 0-4 against Wisconsin and now you want to give him the Axe? How about letting the guys who earned it celebrate?

What does Marcus Sherels have to do with yesterday’s victory? Wasn’t he 0-4 against Wisconsin and now you want to give him the Axe? How about letting the guys who earned it celebrate?

Sherels and his family were great representatives of the U. All former Gophers can and should revel in the victory yesterday. The bigger question is why are you such a dink?

Sherels probably isn't running out of the tunnel with the Axe. It's still a Vikings game and that might be a bit too much to mess with the Vikings brand. If the Axe makes an appearance, guessing it's going to be during a TV timeout/end of quarter situation.

I'm going to very much disagree with the bold part. All players, regardless of rivalry record, need to be celebrating. Gophers need as much positivity and good vibes as they can get. You don't throw away the past just because you don't like the results. I think it would be awesome if somehow when the players won a trophy game that they presented the trophy past players to celebrate. Link the past with the present and future.

Sherels and his family were great representatives of the U. All former Gophers can and should revel in the victory yesterday. The bigger question is why are you such a dink?

+1

Ok. Why not bring Tellis Redmon back to carry out the Axe? Or Rhys Lloyd or Antoine Henderson or Mike Maciejowski or Jewhan Edwards or Stylez G White?

Or we could let the kids who earned it be the center of attention.

I’m not a dink. Generally once you’ve had to resort to name calling you lack a thoughtful argument.

Ok. Why not bring Tellis Redmon back to carry out the Axe? Or Rhys Lloyd or Antoine Henderson or Mike Maciejowski or Jewhan Edwards or Stylez G White?

Or we could let the kids who earned it be the center of attention.

I’m not a dink. Generally once you’ve had to resort to name calling you lack a thoughtful argument.

Because Marcus Sherels plays for the Vikings! Is this really that difficult to understand??? I'm not saying he should or even will but if you can't grasp why it was said, I'm at a loss.

Last edited:

Because Marcus Sherels plays for the Vikings! Is this really that difficult to understand???

Unless the Vikings win the Axe, then yes it is that difficult to understand. I would think the kids that prepared for the game, played in the game and won the Axe should be the ones who get honored.

PJ Fleck is at the Vikings game. the Axe is also there.

Top Bottom