Winning 2 of 3 Big Ten games in November in year #2 is avery good sign!

imthewalrus

Reaction score
Winning last 2 of 3 Big Ten games in November in year #2 is avery good sign!

The only way for a Big Ten football program to start improving is to win Big Ten football games. Coach Fleck proved by winning two Big Ten games in his first season that he had a shot at being a Big Ten football coach. As long as year # 1 brings at least one or two Big Ten wins, there is hope. There are threads here questioning how much fans think the team has improved from 2017 to 2018. My impression is that Coach Fleck...his staff...their recruiting...their coaching...their player development...their game planning, etc has been very evident. in year two. They held their own on the ooc games by winning all three. The beginning of the Big Ten season was challenging, The win against Indiana came in the nick of time. There were some stumbles following that win...however...the team played well in the critical month of November. They had a great win over a pretty decent Purdue team. I thought they played Western Division Champ Northwestern pretty decently in a loss. The way they closed out today in Madison leads me to believe that there has been good progress made in this 2018 Big Ten Football season. Their Big Ten winning percentage in 2017 was .222. They improved that to .333 in 2018...an increase of 111 basis points. And this year they closed STRONG. This year they have become eligible to be invited to a bowl game. THAT is a huge boost for a building program. They have a long way to go to being a consistent really competitive Big Ten Western Division football program...but EVERY Big Ten win makes this program a more competitive Big Ten football program.

My congratulations to Coach Fleck, his staff and ALL the players.

The way I KNOW this team is growing, improving and making strides was by this key win in a TOUGH place to win...the way they ran the ball and the success they had in stopping the run today...and against Purdue. But today it was a thing of beauty to watch the GOPHER pick up KEY 3rd down and 4th down conversions to keep the clock moving...the chains moving and to totally BREAK the spirit of that 8-4 overall and 5-4 Big Ten win stinking badger team The stinking badger had gone 9-0 in regular Big Ten play in 2017 and 5-4 this year. In the past two seasons they won 14 Big Ten games and lost 4. WOW! That wildcat package, the GOPHER offensive line and the running attack just PROMISE Big Ten heartbreaks for Western Division teams going into the future. THAT is Big Ten Football at it's very best! Go bowling GOPHER...you beat that stinking badger!!!

Last edited:

The only way for a Big Ten football program to start improving is to win Big Ten football games. Coach Fleck proved by winning two Big Ten games in his first season that he had a shot at being a Big Ten football coach. As long as year # 1 brings at least one or two Big Ten wins, there is hope. There are threads here questioning how much fans think the team has improved from 2017 to 2018. My impression is that Coach Fleck...his staff...their recruiting...their coaching...their player development...their game planning, etc has been very evident. in year two. They held their own on the ooc games by winning all three. The beginning of the Big Ten season was challenging, The win against Indiana came in the nick of time. There were some stumbles following that win...however...the team played well in the critical month of November. They had a great win over a pretty decent Purdue team. I thought they played Western Division Champ Northwestern pretty decently in a loss. The way they closed out today in Madison leads me to believe that there has been good progress made in this 2018 Big Ten Football season. Their Big Ten winning percentage in 2017 was .222. They improved that to .333 in 2018...an increase of 111 basis points. And this year they closed STRONG. This year they have become eligible to be invited to a bowl game. THAT is a huge boost for a building program. They have a long way to go to being a consistent really competitive Big Ten Western Division football program...but EVERY Big Ten win makes this program a more competitive Big Ten football program.

The way I KNOW this team is growing, improving and making strides was by this key win in a TOUGH place to win...the way they ran the ball and the success they had in stopping the run today...and against Purdue. But today it was a thing of beauty to watch the GOPHER pick up KEY 3rd down and 4th down conversions to keep the clock moving...the chains moving and to totally BREAK the spirit of that 8-4 overall and 5-4 Big Ten win stinking badger team The stinking badger had gone 9-0 in regular Big Ten play in 2017 and 5-4 this year. In the past two seasons they won 14 Big Ten games and lost 4. WOW! That wildcat package, the GOPHER offensive line and the running attack just PROMISE Big Ten heartbreaks for Western Division teams going into the future. THAT is Big Ten Football at it's very best! Go bowling GOPHER...you beat that stinking badger!!!

:drink:

:drink:

Excellent post Sir Wren!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They physically punished Purdue and Wisconsin. They mauled them.

They played NW even physically, unfortunately, you can't turn it over 3 times.

They physically punished Purdue and Wisconsin. They mauled them.

They played NW even physically, unfortunately, you can't turn it over 3 times.

Add the first 3 quarters against Indiana to that as well. Down the stretch (especially post defensive coaching change), when this team took care of the football they dominated the game. Something felt different about those last three games. We have all been waiting for this team to finally turn the corner towards becoming a contender and I think there is a chance we might be seeing the beginning stages of that. We have had false signs in the past though so I am being cautiously optimistic.

This reminds me a lot of what Mason had cooking prior to missing out on the Ohio State job and checking out. We have won our share of Big Ten games but we have rarely dominated teams the way we did to Purdue and Wisconsin. And without the turnovers against Northwestern we would be riding a 3 game winning streak to close out the regular season.

I have been on board with Fleck since the beginning and I really hope that these last few games are a sign that the team is starting to move towards bigger and better things in the future.

Winning in November leads to championships...

We'll measure the progress again a year from now...

Top Bottom