Anyone who didn't have an oar, have one today?

This is a tale of Two Flecks - Fleck the coach, and Fleck the personality.

Fleck the coach will be judged on results - wins and losses, and the "eye test" of do they look like a good team. This season was very up and down, but it may be ending on an up note. (the result of the bowl game matters, at least to me).

Fleck the personality is always going to be a lightning rod. There's no halfway about it - you either like it or you don't. I don't like it. The slogans, catch phrases, acronyms, and the repetitive sayings just drive me nuts. I might get used to it, but I can't imagine that I'll ever like it. Having said that, if the team wins, I can live with Fleck's personality. And if the team doesn't win, well, that will take care of itself.

I can separate the two Flecks. I can root for the team, and still cringe when the coach opens his mouth. To those who say you must embrace the personality in order to be a fan of the team, I reject that completely. Coaches come and go. the program endures.

Morgan
Ibrahim
B. Williams
Bateman
Autman-Bell
Falelee
Dunlap
Andres
Paulson
Douglas
T. Smith
Otemwo
Teague
Howden

All freshmen - true or redshirt - who made contributions yesterday and at many times this season. Id say the opportunity to make an immediate impact like that is attractive to kids. Lets see what kind of gems PJ rounds out the class with over the next few weeks.

I've always thought the talent was there for at least 8 wins this regular season, but not what my post was addressing.

Conversely, a loss yesterday would have put some commits more on the fence. Do you agree or not?

Fleck the coach will be judged on results - wins and losses, and the "eye test" of do they look like a good team. This season was very up and down, but it may be ending on an up note. (the result of the bowl game matters, at least to me).

Fleck the personality is always going to be a lightning rod. There's no halfway about it - you either like it or you don't. I don't like it. The slogans, catch phrases, acronyms, and the repetitive sayings just drive me nuts. I might get used to it, but I can't imagine that I'll ever like it. Having said that, if the team wins, I can live with Fleck's personality. And if the team doesn't win, well, that will take care of itself.

I can separate the two Flecks. I can root for the team, and still cringe when the coach opens his mouth. To those who say you must embrace the personality in order to be a fan of the team, I reject that completely. Coaches come and go. the program endures.
I completely get it. I think RTB, Nekton, FAMILY, etc will not matter if we are playing in the B1G title game.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Would you buy a “Brick by Brick” during the Kill years with the proceeds going to epilepsy research?

I can only assume by this question that you agree coaches should not be allowed to use their own teams as vehicles to promote their own intellectual property/brands by putting them on the team uniforms and then sell merchandise with that brand on it for personal profit.

Nor do I think Fleck would dare.

I've always thought the talent was there for at least 8 wins this regular season, but not what my post was addressing.

Conversely, a loss yesterday would have put some commits more on the fence. Do you agree or not?

I think most of these kids are solidly committed to Fleck - Schad would be the obvious ? - so I'm not sure a loss changes that. But a win - and the excitement and national exposure and a bowl presence - definitely doesn't hurt with uncommitted players. I think PJ does a great job making these commits feel part of the family right away and that's why we didn't see any late wavering last year.

Not sure if you interpreted my posts in this thread as "you must embrace the coach because he is our coach", but I think the Ozzy and Ray type is the opposite. If someone is not coming to games and not supporting the team JUST because of the coach's personality, then that is not a fan at all.

I can only imagine how much easier it will be PJ Fleck and his staff to recruit with this big win. There is a little buzz around the program heading into next year and I think ticket sales will start improving. Big win!

Huge win. If all recruits were die hard Gopher fans then yes, it would impact recruiting. However the win likely doesn’t mean as much to them - maybe as much as the Purdue/Indiana rivalry means to us. It can’t hurt, but this win is for the fans and team - it’s unlikely to influence any recruit not already interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe all you people who have a problem with Fleck’s personality and the way he promotes the culture, say’s more about you than Fleck. Seriously, it’s been two years and you people are still whining and complaining. He’s our coach, he’s not going to change, (there aren’t two Flecks) so give it up and spare us who read this board from seeing it over and over and over again.

Not sure if you interpreted my posts in this thread as "you must embrace the coach because he is our coach", but I think the Ozzy and Ray type is the opposite. If someone is not coming to games and not supporting the team JUST because of the coach's personality, then that is not a fan at all.

100% agree. They are not fans.

It's not a shtick, it's who he is. Sorry, IMO you can't separate it. I've haven't always agreed with the coaches, but I've never publicly ripped on one here--until their gone. I've never ripped on a player here, past or present...except Jim Carter, simply because he's an a$$hole. That's just the way it should be I guess.

Reminds me of people that talk about how they hate Minnesota weather and then try to wear it as a badge of courage. IMO you can't have it both ways. I'm a big Gopher football fan and I love this team like family.

RTB!

I understand the hesitancy that many have had to get on board and row, and understand why some might still not be on board.

Anyone who wasn't on the boat, or was on the verge, now rowing? Curious to hear if anyone's opinions have changed.

I believe all you people who have a problem with Fleck’s personality and the way he promotes the culture, say’s more about you than Fleck. Seriously, it’s been two years and you people are still whining and complaining. He’s our coach, he’s not going to change, (there aren’t two Flecks) so give it up and spare us who read this board from seeing it over and over and over again.

The poster is asking a question and people are responding.

The poster is asking a question and people are responding.

Good point. I’m just tired of all the negativity surrounding Fleck. He is who he is and he’s not going to change. He’s a good man and he’s real. I’ve been on board since he got here and I’m with him all the way.

Yeah, I get that some don't care for the overtness of PJ. I LIKE the enthusiasm, but wouldn't live or die with or without the slogans, etc.

What is important is that his team likes and responds to him, on and off the field, and his ideals are meant to help boys/young men evolve into productive members of their team, university, community and society. If they buy in, I buy in. I truly don't understand someone who proclaims to be a fan, but would steer clear because of a coaches personality.

It's college football man, the best sport in the land!

It's not a shtick, it's who he is. Sorry, IMO you can't separate it. I've haven't always agreed with the coaches, but I've never publicly ripped on one here--until their gone. I've never ripped on a player here, past or present...except Jim Carter, simply because he's an a$$hole. That's just the way it should be I guess.

Reminds me of people that talk about how they hate Minnesota weather and then try to wear it as a badge of courage. IMO you can't have it both ways. I'm a big Gopher football fan and I love this team like family.

what i’ve realized is that it is not a shtick. to me, most of the sayings have rung hollow — like a bunch of pop psychology cobbled together into something that seemed incoherent to me.

however, i have always said that if this stuff makes a difference in the lives of young men, on the field and off, then i can suspend my cynicism.

i’ll row the boat.

But you do understand the difference between a "culture" and a "gimmick", right? The players are clearly bought into the culture Fleck has created. Not sure we ever fully saw that with Brew. The difference I will point to between the two programs is mainly off the field, but some on.

- Players contributions in the community.
- Their best success ever in the classroom.
- Good behavior off the field.
- This team finishing the season very strong despite all signs of a meltdown after Illinois.

To me, these are all indicators of a program building momentum

This + 100%.

It's not a shtick, it's who he is. <b>Sorry, IMO you can't separate it. </b>I've haven't always agreed with the coaches, but I've never publicly ripped on one here--until their gone. I've never ripped on a player here, past or present...except Jim Carter, simply because he's an a$$hole. That's just the way it should be I guess.

By this requirement and using the Robb Smith threads prior to his departure as Exhibit A - virtually no one on this message board would qualify as a real fan.

Liking a coach and supporting the Team can absolutely be separated. Happens with virtually every team out there at one time or another. You can feel someone is a lesser fan if they vocally express things they don’t like about a coach, the Uniforms, ticket prices, etc. if you want - but you would be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. I’m just tired of all the negativity surrounding Fleck. He is who he is and he’s not going to change. He’s a good man and he’s real. I’ve been on board since he got here and I’m with him all the way.

That coin has two sides. You're probably as tired as those who see and read posts from those who think Fleck walks on water and can't see the transparent hypocrisy of their seemingly unwavering defense of any/all criticism of Fleck.

Do we even need oars?

You can row with axes too, right?

Top Bottom