What grade would you give the Gophers 2018 regular season?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2018 regular season?

• A

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • B

Votes: 82 52.2%
  • C

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • D

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
This is interesting, I normally find GopherHole's grading to be ridiculously easy. This time, I vote for an "A" and am in the minority. I've seen terrible recruiting classes and seasons where the Gophers lost all their rivalry games despite the coach being well established get a higher percentage of A's than are being given out here.

Before the season I hoped for one of three things given the state of the Gopher roster: Beat Wisconsin and end the ridiculous 14 year losing streak to the Badgers. Failing beating Wisconsin, end the losing streak to Iowa. Failing keeping either of the trophies home, develop an answer at the QB position for the next several seasons. The Gophers succeeded in accomplishing my number 1 goal of the season, so they get an A. The fact that they did it despite losing arguably their best offensive and defensive players for the ENTIRE B1G season should get bonus points.

This is interesting, I normally find GopherHole's grading to be ridiculously easy. This time, I vote for an "A" and am in the minority. I've seen terrible recruiting classes and seasons where the Gophers lost all their rivalry games despite the coach being well established get a higher percentage of A's than are being given out here.

Before the season I hoped for one of three things given the state of the Gopher roster: Beat Wisconsin and end the ridiculous 14 year losing streak to the Badgers. Failing beating Wisconsin, end the losing streak to Iowa. Failing keeping either of the trophies home, develop an answer at the QB position for the next several seasons. The Gophers succeeded in accomplishing my number 1 goal of the season, so they get an A. The fact that they did it despite losing arguably their best offensive and defensive players for the ENTIRE B1G season should get bonus points.

As I pointed out in post #38, 2/3 voted for A or B but 75% in the Rossi poll think Gophs could have won 8+ games this year.

I think it is solid C based on Purdue, WI, and Fresno St. wins. Like a lot of Gopher seasons, this seems like a huge missed opportunity to win something meaningful - the West was literally sitting there for the taking with the Badger implosion. I don't know the next time we will have a situation where the traditional powers are so down on their luck again in the same season.

What I liked:
Fleck made a coaching change mid-season. This is huge in my opinion and shows that he can take the blame, but also take action.
Win vs. Wisconsin - this was a big one, and again, I don't know the next time WI will be this bad limping into our game
Took care of business in the pre-conference games

What I didn't like:
Effort vs. Illinois - this had hallmarks of the team quitting on the coaches
Prior to his firing, no change in anything defensively. It was clear as day that something was terribly wrong and I would have liked PJ to step in and try something different before firing a staff member. We may be could have benefited from an early change in defensive scheme as well.

Coming out of the final game, I am cautiously optimistic. It is not a slam dunk from here on out, but I have seen the first glimpses of PJ as a competent coach. I think the way we finished the season should help in recruiting as well. Now, let's see some offseason development and benefit from extra practice time getting ready for the bowl. Win or lose the bowl, the extra practice is worth its weight in gold.

Talent was there for one more conference victory.

So, we underperformed in that sense.

Talent was there for one more conference victory.

So, we underperformed in that sense.

Every team thinks they should have won 1, 2 or 3 more games. We also could have easily lost to Indiana. Or Fresno St. At the end of the day, you are what your record says.

Top Bottom