Beating Wisconsin

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
I remember a lot of losses by better Gopher teams. Yet I was sure Gophers were winners by 2nd quarter ( yes, I have made that mistake before). Is this the start of Wisconsin's fall to mediocrity? Let's hope so.

Bottom line, Gophers just seemed to want it more than Wisconsin. Which is a very pleasant surprise.

Gophers were playing for the trophy, and to become bowl eligible. Badgers (I thought) were playing to get Taylor his 2,000 yards, keep the trophy, and move up in the bowl game pecking order.

I am not one to check out another teams message boards, but I have to think there are a lot of people second-guessing the choice to go with Hornibrook. He did not have a good game (understatement). There were also some odd play-calls. (4th and 4 and you throw a long sideline pattern? WTF?)

I remember a lot of losses by better Gopher teams. Yet I was sure Gophers were winners by 2nd quarter ( yes, I have made that mistake before). Is this the start of Wisconsin's fall to mediocrity? Let's hope so.

Don't think Barry will allow that to happen.

Hornibrook looked great, as did the whole UW offense in the Orange Bowl vs Miami. Wisconsin looked like a whole different team on offense last January in the Orange Bowl. They also managed to beat a few good BT teams this year as well as Iowa will attest to.

Today was very different, and their fans at least on Buckyille were sort of expecting it earlier this week. I am going there next to read what they and the fake RupertFlywheel have to say.

Hornibrook looked awful all day and the crowd was pretty subdued as well, in fact as subdued as I have ever noted at game there or via a TV screen. With three good RBs and a ery good O line, I am not sure how they looked so bad, so I guess the credit goes to Rossi and the Defense.

It seems as though Chryst or the DC Leonhardt? have lost the team to some extent. Or we just beat the hell out them, as did Northwestern a few weeks back.

Last edited:

It might get complicated because this was a down year for them, and it will bring some attention on Chryst I'm sure.
They by all expectations had a disappointing season.

Hornibrook looked great, as did the whole UW offense in the Orange Bowl vs Miami. Wisconsin looked like a whole different team on offense last January in the Orange Bowl. They also managed to beat a few good BT teams this year as well as Iowa will attest to.

Today was very different.

Hornibrook looked awful all day and the crowd was pretty subdued as well, in fact as subdued as I have ever noted at game there or via a TV screen. With three good RBs and a ery good O line, I am not sure how they looked so bad, so I guess the credit goes to Rossi and the Defense.

I agree with the announcers that he was rusty. I’m glad they didn’t burn their freshman QB’s redshirt.

I do not want to hear that the Badgers mailed it in today. It was simply not the case. The Gophers game plan worked to a "t" beating Wisconsin at their own game (ball control, turnovers). The Gophers out played them, and Paul Chryst would have been swimming in Pj's jockstrap today.

Don't know about Wisconsin declining...thought the same about I-O-W-A over the years and they always come back...

Regardless, lots of already bowl eligible Minnesota teams have lost to Sconnie also over the years.

This one didn't and that's what counts.

Too early for this to be a trend but certainly enough data to start a pattern...we'll see Bucky in TCF in a year to collect more data...

The other QB that had used up his four games last year did not look like a world beater either, so rusty or not Hornibrook was probably the best bet.

Hornibrook looked terrible though. The other QB would not have made a difference. The RBs did not get enough carries and #37 is pretty good as well an he did not get enough touches.

When the Wisconsin FB does not get a TD carry, #45 Ingold in this case, it is a good sign for the oppsing team in terms of winning the game!

I don’t know if this is the start of a fall to mediocrity, but hopefully it’s the end of the run they’ve been on.

I do not want to hear that the Badgers mailed it in today. It was simply not the case. The Gophers game plan worked to a "t" beating Wisconsin at their own game (ball control, turnovers). The Gophers out played them, and Paul Chryst would have been swimming in Pj's jockstrap today.

I give all credit to Minnesota for this win, in fact the Wisconsin teams coming into TCF in 2013 and 2015 were not exactly on an upward arc, but they managed to get it together, shut down Minnesota's offense and run the ball down our throats, so today was great on many levels.

That 2015 game really POed me, as they were down to 2nd and 3rd string OL players, yet they just ran over us.
Today was very impressive, and as someone else noted, it never would have happened under DC Robb Smith.

Top Bottom