Reusse Apologists

Seriously, I think Reusse's reaction to Fleck is very similar to my reaction to Fleck.

I don't like the slogans, the catch phrases, and the general way that Fleck presents himself. That has NOTHING to do with Fleck's ability as a football coach. But some people want to lump the two together. If Reusse says, or I say, that we have problems with Fleck's personality and the way he presents himself, people say we hate the Gophers or want the team to fail.

Those are two separate issues. I have problems with the things Fleck says. As far as Fleck the coach, I base that on the results. The Gophers won 5 games last year. So far, they've won 6 games this year, with a chance to win 7. That is a step in the right direction.

Disagree. Pat seems to truly hate Fleck to the point where I don't think he would ever say anything positive about him.

Hey, who owns the Axe and is going to a bowl game? WOOT!

Disagree. Pat seems to truly hate Fleck to the point where I don't think he would ever say anything positive about him.

I agree, and unfortunately for Pat, I don't think he is going to come out on the winning end of his little unwarranted grudge.

I agree, and unfortunately for Pat, I don't think he is going to come out on the winning end of his little unwarranted grudge.

The more PJ and Gophers win, the better it gets for Reusse's made up grudge...assuming people pay attention like he wants them to. Would anyone recognize Jim Rome today if not for this supposed rivalry?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

See what I mean?

@Patrick_Reusse 3m3 minutes ago

Can’t believe we almost decided to make the Turkey extinct in any form & now it’s buzzin’ louder than ever. This is fantastic. Thanks, Goph-heads.

This is an example of why Reusse deserves no respect. He can blast Fleck and the pros making millions all he wants - they deserve the scrutiny. But his disdain and constant attempts at humiliating the run-of-the-mill fans is gutless and amateurish. Most of his work is just baiting the crowd - anyone can do it, and it's embarrassing that a major-market sports environment includes this as one of the examples of its "professional" reportage.

This is an example of why Reusse deserves no respect. He can blast Fleck and the pros making millions all he wants - they deserve the scrutiny. But his disdain and constant attempts at humiliating the run-of-the-mill fans is gutless and amateurish. Most of his work is just baiting the crowd - anyone can do it, and it's embarrassing that a major-market sports environment includes this as one of the examples of its "professional" reportage.

Really? I don't think that he is humiliating "the run-of-the-mill fans".

Part of a journalist's job is to be a contrarian voice, to speak up about issues unacknowledged or not perceived. If Reusse needles you, gets under your skin or outrages you, then he has struck a nerve. It is not his job to make you feel better. It is your job to figure out why you reacted in such a way.

Journalism is not propaganda, it examines all sides of an issue. I view Reusse as the man who is shouting "don't go this way" and continually gets run over because of the hubris of those he is trying to warn. I think at this point in his career his reputation looks like Kevin Bacon's character in Animal House after he has unsuccessfully tried to get through to the crowd running amok on the sidewalk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Part of a journalist's job is to be a contrarian voice, to speak up about issues unacknowledged or not perceived. If Reusse needles you, gets under your skin or outrages you, then he has struck a nerve. It is not his job to make you feel better. It is your job to figure out why you reacted in such a way.

Journalism is not propaganda, it examines all sides of an issue. I view Reusse as the man who is shouting "don't go this way" and continually gets run over because of the hubris of those he is trying to warn. I think at this point in his career his reputation looks like Kevin Bacon's character in Animal House after he has unsuccessfully tried to get through to the crowd running amok on the sidewalk.

I respect that you still view journalism from an idealist viewpoint. I'm much more jaded than you. From my viewpoint, journalism is suffering from a painful shift in an outdated business model that's pushing media figures to be "shock jocks" (yellow journalism) in desperation to create clicks and sell ads. Any publicity is good publicity. Social media is amplifying this. Besides, I don't consider many of local sports media to be journalists.

It's funny how all these posts about Reusse vs. Fleck over the past week have made me think more about this issue than I have for years. I've long ago pulled the plug on media sources I don't trust or simply find annoying (the political environment was a contributing factor)...it can be liberating.

I respect that you still view journalism from an idealist viewpoint. I'm much more jaded than you. From my viewpoint, journalism is suffering from a painful shift in an outdated business model that's pushing media figures to be "shock jocks" (yellow journalism) in desperation to create clicks and sell ads. Any publicity is good publicity. Social media is amplifying this. Besides, I don't consider many of local sports media to be journalists.

It's funny how all these posts about Reusse vs. Fleck over the past week have made me think more about this issue than I have for years. I've long ago pulled the plug on media sources I don't trust or simply find annoying (the political environment was a contributing factor)...it can be liberating.

Well, as a kid, I bought all the drivel Sid wrote about the Vikings winning their Super Bowls. We know how that turned out and it jaded me on propagandists in the "media".

Our market has its collective head stuck in the proverbial sand because of how difficult it is to state an opinion without having to recant or apologize.

Yeah, two things going on here.

One, the basic thesis of the Reusses and Barreiros of the world is that people are fools and idiots for being sports fans. I'm not sure if they even believe that themselves, but it's their persona, and it allows them to be intellectual and above it all in a way that probably makes them feel better about themselves. It doesn't matter if the teams win or lose necessarily, but it's way easier to make fun of fans for following and being passionate about losing teams.

Two, the personal animosity of Pat toward Fleck has always struck me as unprofessional. That causes Pat to distort and misuse facts in order to make Fleck and the program look worse than they really are. That's not journalism or even legitimate opinion; it's deception and propaganda. What does that serve?

This. And people are still on here defending Reusse, as if he is some kind of professional.
Well, I didn't see it, nor a photo purporting to be of the incident, so I define the whole "flip the bird" incident as hearsay and rumor.

If anyone wants to know why Reusse makes fun of gopher fans so much, I'd like to point out that within a day or so of one if the biggest wins in recent gopher history, we have dedicated two threads to Reusse.

Well, I didn't see it, nor a photo purporting to be of the incident, so I define the whole "flip the bird" incident as hearsay and rumor.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yep, Twitter has no bias whatsoever, so it must be legit. Zulgad & Mackey hold grudges against Reusse, so them confirming it is suspicious.

Haters gonna hate.

If anyone wants to know why Reusse makes fun of gopher fans so much, I'd like to point out that within a day or so of one if the biggest wins in recent gopher history, we have dedicated two threads to Reusse.
+1000

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The cranky old men will not be happy unless the head coach is also a cranky old man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you? Any of you asshats want to post now?

Sure, beating Wisky was awesome and it is about time. We played hard and took advantage of what appeared to be a weak Wisconsin team. Had this happened before the award, Zimmer could have won it instead for using a draft pick to get a kicker.

Wait, it sounds like you're calling what Reusse does on the radio and Twitter "journalism." Can you confirm that?

Sure, beating Wisky was awesome and it is about time. We played hard and took advantage of what appeared to be a weak Wisconsin team. Had this happened before the award, Zimmer could have won it instead for using a draft pick to get a kicker.

Dumb. Kickers get drafted all the time. The stupid part was reacting emotionally and cutting him after one bad game.

Just enjoy the win and what the possibilities can be for next year. Nebraska, Penn State, and Wisconsin at home. It should be fun.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gave the finger to an image of PJ on the giant scoreboard as he was trying to rally the Wild crowd at the Xcel. I am not sure if it was pre-recorded. He did not do it in front of him in person.

Wait, it sounds like you're calling what Reusse does on the radio and Twitter "journalism." Can you confirm that?
Well, Skipper, you're asking about two things, radio and Twitter.

On radio, Reusse does more than pontificate, he also educates and reminds people of the importance of historical sports milestones, locally and nationally. On the radio, yes.

On Twitter, the bastion of social media bullying by groupthinkers world wide, he is selective in his topics and concise in his wording. He exudes more thought and class than 85% of Twitter users. So that is a qualified yes.

I don't see how my responses matter compared with the cost of repairing the synced light stereo speaker that Alice "danced" on @ SAE.

He gave the finger to an image of PJ on the giant scoreboard as he was trying to rally the Wild crowd at the Xcel. I am not sure if it was pre-recorded. He did not do it in front of him in person.

Either way, a 60+ year old "professional" journalist? It is mind boggling, to say the least, truly mind boggling.

That's even worse. He's too much of a coward to do it to Fleck's face.

That's even worse. He's too much of a coward to do it to Fleck's face.

I'd love to see Fleck's reaction if that happened. My thought is that Fleck would have Pat crying and hugging him by the end of it. "I don't know why I am this way? I'm so ashamed."

Top Bottom