Players chanting "Rossi Rossi" UPDATED: Fleck Names Rossi as Defensive Coordinator!

But what about his UM webpage bio?

STrib: Joe Rossi earns job as Gophers defensive coordinator

After a three-week audition in which the defense did a 180-degree turn, Joe Rossi was promoted to Gophers defensive coordinator by coach P.J. Fleck following Saturday’s 37-15 victory over Wisconsin.

Rossi was named interim defensive coordinator after Fleck fired Robb Smith following the 55-31 loss at Illinois on Nov. 3, and the defense responded. The Gophers had given up an average of 43.2 points and 507.7 yards in the six Big Ten games under Smith. When Rossi took over, the Gophers gave up 233 yards in a 41-10 victory over Purdue, 325 in a 24-14 loss to Northwestern and 359 to Wisconsin.

“When I told our team what we were doing [in the locker room after the game], they went absolutely ballistic,’’ Fleck said of Rossi’s promotion. “He deserved it. This isn’t a gift. He earned it.’’

That showed Saturday, as the Gophers held Badgers running back Jonathan Taylor, the nation’s leading rusher, to 120 yards on 19 carries, nearly 50 yards less than his average. They also intercepted Alex Hornibrook three times and recovered one of Wisconsin’s four fumbles.

“I felt we had to get back to the basic part of what we do, and then expand from there,’’ Fleck said. “Joe does a really good job of that. … He basically did a whole year self-scout within a week when we went into the Purdue game.’’

Added Gophers linebacker Thomas Barber: “We love that guy. We’re all excited for him.’’

http://www.startribune.com/joe-rossi-earns-job-as-gophers-defensive-coordinator/501187801/

Go Gophers!!

Makes total sense to go ahead and make it official for Rossi. The defense has played great against 3 very different teams and the kids clearly love playing for the guy. Congrats to Coach Rossi, hopefully he can keep the defense humming along next year as the offense continues to improve and evolve into what could be one of the best in the Big Ten.

A good idea - the defense the past three games has been impressive. Huge win today: the Axe, 6-6 season, a bowl, a road win in the B10, first win over Wisconsin in 14 years. What not to like?

It's still hard to fathom what he did and how he did it. No matter how inept Smith might have been, how does anyone turn something around this hard and fast? He must have worked his ass off, particularly in the Purdue week. It's as impressive as anything i've ever seen in football coaching.

It's still hard to fathom what he did and how he did it. No matter how inept Smith might have been, how does anyone turn something around this hard and fast? He must have worked his ass off, particularly in the Purdue week. It's as impressive as anything i've ever seen in football coaching.

Absolutely. Fleck said Rossi did an entire offseason's worth of film self-study during the Purdue week...basically watching like an offensive staff would, trying to identify what others were seeing on tape and exploiting to easily. He probably already had some ideas having watched the carnage up close for weeks, but still very impressive what he accomplished.

Absolutely. Fleck said Rossi did an entire offseason's worth of film self-study during the Purdue week...basically watching like an offensive staff would, trying to identify what others were seeing on tape and exploiting to easily. He probably already had some ideas having watched the carnage up close for weeks, but still very impressive what he accomplished.
I am guessing he already knew what the problem was. It was just a matter of having his chance to implement his fix.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I am truly amazed at the difference before and after him. If he made that big of a difference hire him and pay him whatever he wants to keep him.

We have been talking about this for the last few weeks at Gopherhole. It seemed like we would be interviewing for the DC position at the end of the year but after the Purdue game everyone was like, "Well now wait a minute. If they keep doing this for the next 2 games vs. Northwestern and Wisconsin, why not just give it to Rossi?

At the end, it was a pretty easy decision to make. In fact, I think everyone would have been disappointed if anyone else would have gotten the job!

Well he does have experience at Rutgers for a few years. So I don't know if we should be surprised or not.

Really happy the defense improved under Rossi. After the Illinois game there were posters claiming that the Illini talent was just too much for the Gopher defense. As someone stated in another thread, Rossi saved the season.

Another point that PJ made in the post game press conference: It was PJ's call to go into a prevent for the last part of both the 2nd and 4th quarter when the Buckers scored. He said if he had let them play the base defense they may not have moved the ball so easily. PJ said he just wanted to drop back and keep the ball in front of them to hold them to FG's and not Td's, well that didn't work so well. So the two scores were not really on the Rossi's defense!

Agreed. It defies logic. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally fine with the Rossi hire. Not sure if what he did was amazing but he proved himself competent. Based on the D’s performance pre Smith and then post Smith, the issue really appeared to be Smith himself.

To be better than the worst does not make you good. Rossi's track record is acceptable, but I'm not sure this is the best move. It is nice to see reward for merit though.

TC couldn't solve Washington.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was pretty clear to anyone watching the game that the weather dictated that the team who could run the ball was going to win. WSU doesn't run the ball.

Totally fine with the Rossi hire. Not sure if what he did was amazing but he proved himself competent. Based on the D’s performance pre Smith and then post Smith, the issue really appeared to be Smith himself.

Actually shocked with the drastic level of improvement from one coach to the next. I expected a slight bump but we went from giving up big plays at a ridiculous level to giving up very few big plays over the final 3 games. It was pretty amazing to see a unit go from incompetent to one that can compete.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching the game that the weather dictated that the team who could run the ball was going to win. WSU doesn't run the ball.

LOL... go follow Washington St

Top Bottom