Which bowl?

I saw a projection for the Redbox Bowl against Stanford. That would be fun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

lots of talk about bowls and who has played there last being a factor in who plays there this year. I wish the Rose bowl was on that plan. We'd be in Pasadena!

Seriously, I'm fine with anything because just being in any bowl is progress for this team and the extra practice will be a great thing for a very young team.

One minor thing to add: I think the Big Ten has an agreement with these bowls such that the *conference* decides which teams go to which bowl, with the understanding that it won't put the same team in the same bowl back-to-back years and will have at least five different teams over 2014-2019 contract period.

So for example, it's not a consideration that the Quicklane would like to have Michigan St, or that it picks last ...... the Big Ten will be deciding where Minn, Purdue, Iowa, Mich State goes, per whatever criteria they've agreed with the bowls and whatever else the conf decides makes the most sense.

I think we're going to Detroit or New York.

I'm not sure it's just the conference picking - otherwise why would bowl games send scouts to the prospective schools? Might be that the bowls pick within a pecking order, with oversight from the conference.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...games-work-payouts-playoff-history-determined

All the guessing and speculation is fun (better than the alternative) but really pretty pointless until we see what happens with Ohio State. At least we won't have to wait all that long to find out where we are headed.

You're probably right. Seems like the majority of the prognosticators see only 2 Big Ten teams in the CFP/Other New Year's Day bowls. In that case, the conference would fill the Quick Lane.

Media/Coaches:
Ohio State 6/6
UCF at 7
Michigan 8/8
9-3 Texas at 9/9...best wins Oklahoma, Iowa State...;losses to MD, WVU by one, Okie State by 3
9-3 Washington at 10/11
9-3 Florida at 11/10...best wins LSU and Miss State...losses to UK, Georgia, Mizzou
9-3 LSU at 12/11... wins vs Miami, Auburn, Georgia, MissState; losses to Florida, Bama, A and M in mult OTs
10-2 WSU at 12/13 best wins vs Utah, Stanford, Oregon, Cal...lost to Washington and USC
9-3 Penn State at 14/12 (won at Pitt; Iowa, Wisconsin next best wins?; lost by one to OSU and by 4 to MSU in Happy Valley, blown out by Michigan in Ann Arbor

Penn State likely competing for three spots with TX, FL, LSU, WSU (Big Ten likely competing for third bid vs second bid for Big 12, third or fourth for SEC, second for PAC 12)

The Big Ten and the bowls work together to create the most desirable matchups, but ultimately, the true power lies in the league office.

We know Ohio State and Michigan will both be in NYD6 bowls. The key will be whether a third team gets in, either Northwestern pulling the upset to go to Pasadena, or Penn State landing an at-large bid. We'll know more on the latter when the playoff rankings come out tomorrow night -- if Penn State is still behind LSU and Washington State, we'll know they're out of the running with all three teams' seasons concluded. If they're ahead of at least one, they'll have a good shot as long as there aren't upsets in the conference title games. The rest of the B1G dominoes will fall from there.

If the Nittany Lions land a NYD6 bowl, I'm guessing the Citrus takes Iowa, which hasn't played in the game in 14 years, though the Hawkeyes played in Florida bowls in two of the last four seasons, including last year's Outback Bowl. The Holiday, considered part of the first tier of B1G bowls, would be the landing spot for Northwestern, which hasn't played a west coast bowl since the Rose Bowl in 1995. Michigan State could slide into the Outback for the first time in seven years. It gets really interesting if Penn State goes to the Citrus since, as others have noted, the Outback is in a tricky spot with Iowa and Northwestern are the most likely options. In that scenario, I think Northwestern is in Tampa and Iowa goes to the Holiday.

Indications are the Gator Bowl will take a Big Ten squad this year (meaning the Music City Bowl gets the Big Ten next year) and the Gator always prefers big-name programs, even in down seasons. Wisconsin and Michigan State both fit the description, depending on who's left. San Francisco hosted Purdue last year, so the Boilermakers would be ideal for the Pinstripe or Quick Lane. The Gophers would be more in play for the Bay Area (if Penn State is in a NYD6 bowl) or New York (if Penn State is left out) since the Gophers were in Detroit in 2015.

Quick summary...

(if Penn State is in NYD6 bowl):
NYD6 -- Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State
Citrus -- Iowa
Outback -- Michigan State
Holiday -- Northwestern
Gator -- Wisconsin
Pinstripe -- Purdue
Redbox -- Minnesota

(if Penn State is not in NYD6 bowl):
NYD6 -- Ohio State/Michigan
Citrus -- Penn State
Outback -- Northwestern
Holiday -- Iowa
Gator -- Michigan State
Pinstripe -- Minnesota
Redbox -- Wisconsin
Quick Lane -- Purdue

"Row the Boat" vs. "You play to win the game!"

Yea, interesting. Herm actually espouses many of the things PJ does. Heard him as a motivational speaker a few years ago at a company sales meeting. All about effort, positivity, doing the right thing the right way, personal improvement and development, etc. More like PJ than different. Imagine they would have an interesting conversation during the pre bowl get togethers.

ESPN has chimed in:

Bonagura: Quick Lane vs Duke
Sherman: Redbox vs Oregon

SB Nation:

Pinstripe vs Pitt (that is barring the upset of the year!!!)

Yea, interesting. Herm actually espouses many of the things PJ does. Heard him as a motivational speaker a few years ago at a company sales meeting. All about effort, positivity, doing the right thing the right way, personal improvement and development, etc. More like PJ than different. Imagine they would have an interesting conversation during the pre bowl get togethers.

Yup. They both also talk about delegating a lot of the Xs and Os to assistants and letting their coaches coach.

Almost all of this is contingent on how many NY6 games the big ten gets

In for sure: big ten champ.

If Ohio state wins:
Rose or playoff - Ohio State
Rose or other - Michigan
Maybe sneaks in if Washington, Clemson, and Oklahoma win - penn State

If northwestern wins:
Rose - Northwestern
Other - Ohio State
Other - Michigan
Maybe sneaks in if Washington, Oklahoma, and Clemson win - penn State

Hmmm ... will be interesting to see if Big Ten gets three in the NY6 with Ohio St win. That would mean no Quick Lane.

I don’t think it even matters how many teams the Big Ten puts in the NYD6. That number could mean that no Big ten team plays in Detroit. But the league decides who goes where, and their first priority seems to be rotation. This would make it unlikely MN plays in the Quicklane Bowl anyway, since the MN is the only team in its tier to have played there recently. That leaves San Fran or New York.

I don’t think it even matters how many teams the Big Ten puts in the NYD6. That number could mean that no Big ten team plays in Detroit. But the league decides who goes where, and their first priority seems to be rotation. This would make it unlikely MN plays in the Quicklane Bowl anyway, since the MN is the only team in its tier to have played there recently. That leaves San Fran or New York.

It's been a few years since going to Dallas so it is in play also I would imagine.

Redbox please. New Years Eve bowl against a much more prestigious Pac-12 team.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just did a quick search for airfare for a few of the possible bowls and it ain't cheap! $500-ish for most.

From Minnesota to anywhere in December is not cheap. They have you cornered.

A quick drive straight down I-35 to warmer weather would be nice.

I've done Minneapolis to Dallas in a day (granted it was a long day). I want to say 14 hours, but I could have done it in 13 if there hadn't been a governor on the accelerator of the U-Haul that limited me to 65 mph.

It's been a few years since going to Dallas so it is in play also I would imagine.

The only way the Big Ten fills the Dallas bowl is if the Rose Bowl is the conference's lone NYD6 game. Not gonna happen.

At this point, it's probably 50/50 whether the league fills all three of San Francisco, New York and Detroit.

Yes it's true that the Big Ten decides which teams go to which bowls ... but keep in mind that these bowls all have different payouts, and yet are all contractually obligated to take a Big Ten team if available.

That gives a very simple equation: the Big Ten will put its teams in the bowls that pay out the most.

Dallas and Detroit pay the least, with NYC and San Fran paying more.

So, I guarantee the Big Ten will fill the Pinstripe and Redbox bowls. Then it becomes a matter of how many teams it gets into the NY6 bowls, if it can put a team in Detroit or Dallas.

The crappy thing about Dallas, is it would be against a CUSA team. And probably a Texas team at that, which would be like a home game for them, and they'd have nothing to lose playing a P5 team. No thanks! Quicklane at least would be against an ACC team. If we lose, its to another P5 program.

Detroit is a shorter drive too. Just depends on the weather. And it certainly isn't warm in Dallas in the winter. Warmer than Minn, sure. So are Iowa and South Dakota ...

Last edited:

Top Bottom