Which bowl?

Not sure about that interim coach part. Brohm quoted today as saying Purdue is where he wants to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohm gave some milquetoast answers in the clip I saw. Like when asked about Louisville courting him he said "right now, that's pure speculation" and "right now, I'm the coach of Purdue". If he was fully committed to Purdue, I don't think those would have been the answers IMO.

I posted this in another thread, but here's what I found on B1G bowl affiliations.

A Big Ten team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff. There can’t be a Big Ten team this year in the Sugar Bowl.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12

2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC
– Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.

4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin or Michigan State, if possible.

5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC OR
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC

– ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016 and 2017. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Penn State or Iowa, if possible.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC
– It’s not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Indiana, if possible.

San Francisco Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Purdue, Indiana, Maryland or Nebraska, if possible.

Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC

SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. C-USA
– Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the bowl since 2014. The Big 12 is contracted to play in the SERVPRO First Responders in 2019.

I don't think the Big Ten gets a team in the CFP, but probably gets 3 teams in the other New Year's Day bowls of which the Rose is one. That leaves 6 conference teams for the remainder so there would only be enough teams to fill through the San Francisco (Redbox) bowl.

I posted this in another thread, but here's what I found on B1G bowl affiliations.

A Big Ten team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff. There can’t be a Big Ten team this year in the Sugar Bowl.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12

2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC
– Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.

4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin or Michigan State, if possible.

5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC OR
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC

– ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016 and 2017. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Penn State or Iowa, if possible.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC
– It’s not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Indiana, if possible.

– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Purdue, Indiana, Maryland or Nebraska, if possible.

Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC

SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. C-USA
– Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the bowl since 2014. The Big 12 is contracted to play in the SERVPRO First Responders in 2019.

Fantastic breakdown. Thanks. Here's my next attempt at projections based on your great research:

Rose: OSU
NY6: Michigan
Citrus: PSU
Outback: This is tough. NW is the obvious pick, but they were just there 2 years ago. Iowa last year. Wisconsin 3 years ago. I'll say NW now.
Holiday: Iowa
TaxSlayer: Wisconsin
Pinstripe: MSU
San Fran (Redbox?): Minnesota
Quick Lane: Purdue

That should be easy enough as Nebraska, Maryland and Indiana didn't qualify!

Got to be SFO. Fleck’s entire NFL career was there!! :eek:

Happy to go anywhere - and for the extra practices! Happy for Coach Fleck, the team, and for all Golden Gopher fans tonight!

Or Quick Lane cuz Fleck was "Michigan" until he was Mr. Minnesota

Word has it there are more teams with 6 wins than the bowl games can accommodate....

Word has it there are more teams with 6 wins than the bowl games can accommodate....

Bummer for whoever doesn't get in, but it won't be MN since the B1G has the agreements in place. It does stink to be at home with 6 wins though. I feel for those fans.

OK, I have no idea how the bowls work these days. It's like "tiered" now and they try to avoid the same team over the course of 5 years I think. Who wants to break this down like a pro, lol? Here's what I got:

Rose: OSU
NYD At-Large: Michigan
Citrus: PSU
Outback: I'd say NW, but they went in 2016. Iowa would be next, but they went last year. I'll say Wisconsin here, although they went in 2015.
Gator: NW
Holiday: Iowa
Redbox: MSU
Pinstripe: Purdue
Quick Lane: MN
First Responders: Nobody

I don't see any way the Outback takes Wisconsin over NW.

I don't see any way the Outback takes Wisconsin over NW.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC

Yeah, the Outback is the toughest placement for sure. NW deserves it, but they were there 2 years ago. Iowa would be next in line, but they were there last year. Wisconsin ha the next best record, but was also there recently. I suppose they could elevate MSU all the way up there, but I'd say they go with NW. They could also put NW in the Citrus Bowl and place PSU here, but that seems unlikely as well.

Yeah, the Outback is the toughest placement for sure. NW deserves it, but they were there 2 years ago. Iowa would be next in line, but they were there last year. Wisconsin ha the next best record, but was also there recently. I suppose they could elevate MSU all the way up there, but I'd say they go with NW. They could also put NW in the Citrus Bowl and place PSU here, but that seems unlikely as well.

Wouldn’t that be ironic if the U was in the Outback, after them passing us over several years ago when we the next team in line.

Just did a quick search for airfare for a few of the possible bowls and it ain't cheap! $500-ish for most.

STrib chimes in: Which bowl will it be?

Which bowl will it be?

We now know that the Gophers will play in a bowl game. Question is, which one?

The four most likely in play are the Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 27, New York), Redbox Bowl (Dec. 31, Santa Clara, Calif.), Quick Lane Bowl (Dec. 26, Detroit) and First Responders Bowl (Dec. 26, Dallas). The Gophers’ destination likely won’t be known until next Sunday after the College Football Playoff selection.

Among three bowl representatives at Saturday’s game was John Mosley, senior manager of the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. He said he was there to watch both teams but declined further comment. Citrus and Holiday representatives were scouting Wisconsin.

http://www.startribune.com/joe-rossi-earns-job-as-gophers-defensive-coordinator/501187801/

Go Gophers!!

After everything that has happened this season, I'm just happy for ANY bowl game!

I don't think the Big Ten gets a team in the CFP, but probably gets 3 teams in the other New Year's Day bowls of which the Rose is one. That leaves 6 conference teams for the remainder so there would only be enough teams to fill through the San Francisco (Redbox) bowl.

Can PSU get a New Year Six bid is big question.

New Years Six locks...Bama, Clemson, ND, Georgia, OSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Washington or Utah, UCF or Boise/Fresno...although maybe Michigan gets dropped more than I think.

wrenches: NW, Texas, Pitt as conference champs...

competing for the three at large New Years Six bids: LSU, WSU, Florida, PSU, Texas...How much do LSU and WSU get hit for losses? Texas plays Oklahoma.

Last edited:

It seems most prognosticators this morning have us going to the Pinstripe Bowl. Suggested opponents could be Pitt, Virginia, Miami, FL or Wake Forest.

I’ve seen a few that have us in QuickLane Bowl with Georgia Tech.

I’m glad to be going to any Bowl and in that vein don’t care who we play. Having said that, I have no desire to try and tackle Georgia Tech’s option. I’m hoping for Miami in New York. That would be fun. Virginia would be fine too.

The Gophers would probably be tapped for the less choicer bowl after everyone got their pick. But, that is okay.The Gophers get to showcase themselves to recruits. It really doesn't matter when and where.

The Gophers would probably be tapped for the less choicer bowl after everyone got their pick. But, that is okay.The Gophers get to showcase themselves to recruits. It really doesn't matter when and where.
The extra 3 weeks of practice are nice too. I know Kill thought those were very important.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Right on. We get a bowl game. We extend the season and practice time by a month. We get more exposure. We beat the Badgers to do it on their home field to qualify. We got the axe. Life is good today!

pinstripe is my guess. Would love to see us play Miami there

It seems most prognosticators this morning have us going to the Pinstripe Bowl. Suggested opponents could be Pitt, Virginia, Miami, FL or Wake Forest.

I’ve seen a few that have us in QuickLane Bowl with Georgia Tech.

I’m glad to be going to any Bowl and in that vein don’t care who we play. Having said that, I have no desire to try and tackle Georgia Tech’s option. I’m hoping for Miami in New York. That would be fun. Virginia would be fine too.

Georgia Tech would provide us an excellent opportunity to fin out if our new d coordinator can teach fundementals

Georgia Tech would provide us an excellent opportunity to fin out if our new d coordinator can teach fundementals

Would have added benefit in preparation for Georgia Southern as well.
Don’t want to see Virginia. I like to see Bowl matchups where we haven’t played them in bowls before. Just personal preference. I didn’t like playing Oregon in Sun Bowl 2x or seeing Texas Tech as a repeat opponent. Miami in NY would be interesting and fun. Weather, the Battle of the U’s, recruitment, etc.

One minor thing to add: I think the Big Ten has an agreement with these bowls such that the *conference* decides which teams go to which bowl, with the understanding that it won't put the same team in the same bowl back-to-back years and will have at least five different teams over 2014-2019 contract period.

So for example, it's not a consideration that the Quicklane would like to have Michigan St, or that it picks last ...... the Big Ten will be deciding where Minn, Purdue, Iowa, Mich State goes, per whatever criteria they've agreed with the bowls and whatever else the conf decides makes the most sense.

I think we're going to Detroit or New York.

Can PSU get a New Year Six bid is big question.

New Years Six locks...Bama, Clemson, ND, Georgia, OSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Washington or Utah, UCF or Boise/Fresno...although maybe Michigan gets dropped more than I think.

wrenches: NW, Texas, Pitt as conference champs...

competing for the three at large New Years Six bids: LSU, WSU, Florida, PSU, Texas...How much do LSU and WSU get hit for losses? Texas plays Oklahoma.

You're probably right. Seems like the majority of the prognosticators see only 2 Big Ten teams in the CFP/Other New Year's Day bowls. In that case, the conference would fill the Quick Lane.

Another projection:

College Football News has us in the Redbox against Arizona State.

Top Bottom