Which bowl?

Redbox, chance to split stay between Levi and San Francisco. Never been to Frisco, only that reason

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Great find!!

But, by the process of elimination, if we did send a team to the Quicklane, it would have to be either Minnesota or Purdue, and Purdue is much closer to Detroit and hasn't been there yet. Minn probably has a decent number of alumni in Bay Area and/or NYC.
Plus.....we beat the dick out of Purdue's mouth. We should get the better bowl.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I probably wouldn't be going regardless. I'm just speaking from a matchup and exposure perspective. The Redbox Bowl may not be the only game on at the time, but it's on New Years Eve and will be against a better opponent. And both the Pinstripe and Quick Lane Bowls start at 4:15 ET on the 26th/27th. That's not exactly primetime.

Would be my first choice too. Want to have a matchup where Gophs are clear underdogs so they can surprise everyone again.

Yes, NYC is ridiculously expensive. So is San Fran.

Dallas and Detroit are far more affordable to visit, but not saying I want us to go to those bowls.

There are far more hotels near Levi Stadium (it's not in San Francisco anyway; it's in the San Jose/Santa Clara area) and they are not as expensive as the decent ones that are in reasonably safe areas close to Yankee Stadium. That's important because I'm assuming few people would want to bring to or rent a car to NYC if they can avoid it but, by the same token, one probably wouldn't want to take complex public transport routes over many miles. There are also decent reasonably priced hotels within a couple of blocks of Ford Field and that part of Detroit is considered safe for walking at night. And, of course, that bowl is indoors.

There are far more hotels near Levi Stadium (it's not in San Francisco anyway; it's in the San Jose/Santa Clara area) and they are not as expensive as the decent ones that are in reasonably safe areas close to Yankee Stadium. That's important because I'm assuming few people would want to bring to or rent a car to NYC if they can avoid it but, by the same token, one probably wouldn't want to take complex public transport routes over many miles. There are also decent reasonably priced hotels within a couple of blocks of Ford Field and that part of Detroit is considered safe for walking at night. And, of course, that bowl is indoors.

If I were to go to NYC, I'd stay in Midtown Manhattan and take the subway to the stadium. Easy way to get there and it drops you off right in front of the stadium. Did a Twins game that way a few years back and it worked out great.

Bowls don't pick Big Ten teams. This has been explained already.

The Big Ten decides which of its teams go to the bowls that have contracts with the conference.

Even so, why would the conference choose to send a team to a bowl with the lowest payout to play a conference USA team which, if it is North Texas State, would be essentially a home game for them? There would be little prestige for winning and considerable embarrassment for losing.

If I were to go to NYC, I'd stay in Midtown Manhattan and take the subway to the stadium. Easy way to get there and it drops you off right in front of the stadium. Did a Twins game that way a few years back and it worked out great.

Good to know. Thanks!

PSU move up to #12.

PSU move up to #12.

Lots to still be determined, but PSU in the NY6 might come down to Oklahoma in or out of the CFP.

The Sugar Bowl has to take a Big XII team, which would be Texas or WVU if the Sooners are in the CFP. That would mean there are just three at-large spots left, and those would likely be Michigan, LSU and Florida.

If the Sooners aren't in the CFP and Ohio State is, Sooners get Sugar, Michigan gets Rose, LSU and Florida slot in, leaving one additional at-large spot. PSU would be next in line, assuming chalk holds in the ACC, Pac 12 and SEC (which is a huge assumption, I know).

Jike, you are the Mel Kiper of bowl season.

Jike is an outstanding Bowl Season Analyst. Gopherhole’s “Jerry Palm”.
Always read his information on here and there’s nobody more informed when it comes to bowls.

I think our bowl season improves if northwestern wins.
There is a chance penn State is left out of NY6.
No chance Ohio state and Michigan are.

Big ten gets 3 teams for sure if Northwestern wins.
Gets 2 for sure, maybe a 3rd if Ohio state wins.

Jike is an outstanding Bowl Season Analyst. Gopherhole’s “Jerry Palm”.
Always read his information on here and there’s nobody more informed when it comes to bowls.

Thanks, I enjoy piecing together the puzzle of bowl bids. I prefer to think of myself as the "Selection Sunday" of the football board.

As to the above post, I also think the best path to getting three Big Ten teams in the NYD6 bowls would be for Northwestern to win. I just don't see Ohio State leapfrogging Oklahoma if both teams win on Saturday. And of course, if Oklahoma loses, that takes an at-large NYD6 bid away from the rest of the field (Penn State). Jerry Palm's current projection is the likeliest outcome:

CFP: Alabama vs. Oklahoma
CFP: Clemson vs. Notre Dame
Rose: Ohio State vs. Washington
Sugar: Georgia vs. Texas (or West Virginia, if Texas gets blown out)
Fiesta: LSU vs. UCF (or Boise-Fresno winner if UCF loses)
Peach: Michigan vs. Florida

It seems like the whole reason the B1G would want the right to dictate which teams go to which bowls would be specifically for seasons like this, and teams like Michigan State, and bowls like the Quicklane. That Detroit Bowl Game was basically invented for the Spartans, and they haven’t even played in it once. This seems like the year... especially since it has to be against an ACC opponent.

If we go to the Redbox Bowl, do we get late fees waived? :D

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It seems like the whole reason the B1G would want the right to dictate which teams go to which bowls would be specifically for seasons like this, and teams like Michigan State, and bowls like the Quicklane. That Detroit Bowl Game was basically invented for the Spartans, and they haven’t even played in it once. This seems like the year... especially since it has to be against an ACC opponent.

Quicklane is the bottom of the barrel, and Michigan State isn’t the “last place” bowl eligible team for the Big Ten. They’ll get to go to a mid or maybe even upper tier bowl game.

If we go to the Redbox Bowl, do we get late fees waived? :D

LOL...or if we rent three new releases, we'll get a ticket for $10 like Red Baron.

It comes from Bowls passing over higher placed B1G teams for a team that "travels better" and could bring more fans (more ticket revenue and tourists). The U got passed over a couple of times in the past. I think the B1G wanted more control of what teams went where so the bowls didn't have all the say.

Here is the latest rundown:

USA Today - Redbox vs Oregon

247 - Crawford projection: Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse vs. Minnesota

Yahoo sports - RedBox Bowl (Dec. 31) Minnesota vs. Cal

SI - Quick Lane Bowl, Detroit (5:15 p.m. ET, ESPN) Minnesota vs. Virginia

SBNation - Pinstripe (New York City): Pitt vs. Minnesota

Athlon - Quick Lane Bowl, Detroit (5:15 p.m. ET, ESPN) Boston College vs. Virginia

247 - Bonagura projection: Quicklane Duke vs. Minnesota
- Sherman projection: Redbox Minnesota vs Oregon

Sporting News - Quick Lane Bow Minnesota vs. Virginia Tech

Watchstadium, Bret McMurphy's - First Responder Bowl – Dec. 26 (C-USA vs. Big Ten) Projection: UAB vs. Minnesota

Yes please.

They would get destroyed for dropping a 7-5 MSU team to the Quick Lane Bowl. Can't see it happening.....unless there is talk between the conferences on who they will send.

Does that mean I have to return "Butt Camp" as well?
Unfortunately the big wigs said that you will be charged late fees on that one since it's out of stock everywhere and their email boxes are full of complaints with subjects such as: "I need me buut camp" and "Camp me butt be thur".

Unfortunately the big wigs said that you will be charged late fees on that one since it's out of stock everywhere and their email boxes are full of complaints with subjects such as: "I need me buut camp" and "Camp me butt be thur".

Sounds like somebody's butthurt.

Watchstadium, Bret McMurphy's - First Responder Bowl – Dec. 26 (C-USA vs. Big Ten) Projection: UAB vs. Minnesota

Didn't we have to "watch stadium" in the past couple of years for some Gopher hoops tournament or something? I remember it being a horrible experience. Not as terrible as this doofus projection. The First Responder Bowl has a better payout than the Quick Lane Bowl (About 1.66M to 750K).....but.....really? I would be upset if we were matched up against a 9-3 UAB team out of the C-USA. Meanwhile.....this a$$hat has Purdue in the Music City Bowl.

Time to cut the cord with don'twatchstadium

Sounds like somebody's butthurt.

You sit on a red box for 8-10 hours a day and tell me how you feel. You'd be looking like a baboon too.

Didn't we have to "watch stadium" in the past couple of years for some Gopher hoops tournament or something? I remember it being a horrible experience. Not as terrible as this doofus projection. The First Responder Bowl has a better payout than the Quick Lane Bowl (About 1.66M to 750K).....but.....really? I would be upset if we were matched up against a 9-3 UAB team out of the C-USA. Meanwhile.....this a$$hat has Purdue in the Music City Bowl.

Time to cut the cord with don'twatchstadium

As a fan, I'd rather travel to Dallas than Detroit. Redbox bowl though seems like best of both worlds in terms of matchup/location for the possibilities discussed so far.

Top Bottom