Which bowl?

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I''m guessing either the Pinnstripe or the Redbox (former San Fransisco bowl).

Any chance at Dallas?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I’m selfishly hoping for Jacksonville since it is 2 hours down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a rare year when nobody has talked about the potential bowl for literally a month leading up to it. Normally fans have it all figured out already

Any chance at Dallas?

First Responders? Don't think so. Not enough qualifying Big Ten teams (only 9) to fill that one. I figured we'd get 3 in the New Years Day non-CFP bowls.

This is a rare year when nobody has talked about the potential bowl for literally a month leading up to it. Normally fans have it all figured out already

This will be nice so we can talk about bowl matchup and not just recruiting for a few weeks.

Also, this shouldn't hurt recruiting any.

Both of those would be awesome, and this will be fun to follow the nexxt couple weeks! Glad I don't have to just follow recruiting!

Before today I would've thought Detroit was a lock...and I haven't done the math, but will B1G have a team in that Dallas bowl? But as dominant as we were against both PU and Wisconsin, who knows? Purdue has 6 wins. MSU losing to Rutgers in the 4th, so another possible 6 win team. It's not automatic that we're in the lowest bowl. Fun times!

Hopefully not the Quick Lane bowl since I live there and won't be in town and that would make me sad.

SFO - Purdue won’t go to SFO (did last year) and quicklane in detroit will want MSU (if they beat Rutgers). So, Gophs to SFO, Purdue to NY and Sparty to Detroit.

OK, I have no idea how the bowls work these days. It's like "tiered" now and they try to avoid the same team over the course of 5 years I think. Who wants to break this down like a pro, lol? Here's what I got:

Rose: OSU
NYD At-Large: Michigan
Citrus: PSU
Outback: I'd say NW, but they went in 2016. Iowa would be next, but they went last year. I'll say Wisconsin here, although they went in 2015.
Gator: NW
Holiday: Iowa
Redbox: MSU
Pinstripe: Purdue
Quick Lane: MN
First Responders: Nobody

Last edited:

I'd drive to San Fran. That would be a fun time.

OK, I have no idea how the bowls work these days. It's like "tiered" now and they try to avoid the same team over the course of 5 years I think. Who wants to break this down like a pro, lol? Here's what I got:

Outback: I'd say NW, but they went in 2016. Iowa would be next, but they went last year. I'll say Wisconsin here, although they went in 2015.

Although MN went to Detroit in 2015, so I could see MSU ending up there as somebody said. Or Purdue there and MN in Pinstripe. MSU wins today and I'm sure they'll be in Redbox.

I agree with the original post either Pinstripe Bowl or San Fran

Quicklane Bowl vs. Wake Forest in Detroit 12/26.
Redbox Bowl vs. Oregon in suburban San Fran 12/31.
Pinstripe Bowl vs. UVA or Miami (FL) in the Bronx 12/27.

Almost a sure thing it will be a P5 opponent.

Quicklane Bowl vs. Wake Forest in Detroit 12/26.
Redbox Bowl vs. Oregon in suburban San Fran 12/31.
Pinstripe Bowl vs. UVA or Miami (FL) in the Bronx 12/27.

Almost a sure thing it will be a P5 opponent.
Would be fun to play Miami in cold weather

The practices have to help the youngest team in America no matter where we go.

wait, this is a conspiracy between Coyle and Alvarez. yep, it keeps things as they are for now. #blackhelicopters

There are 9 eligible B1G teams and we are the only 6-6 team besides Purdue but our conference record is worse so we should be #9. As it stands now:
1. OSU 11-1*
2. Michigan 10-2
3. Northwestern 8-4*
4. Penn. St. 9-3
5. Wisconsin 7-5
6. Michigan St. 7-5
7. Purdue 6-6
8. Iowa 8-4
9. Minnesota 6-6

If we don't qualify for the CFP then these are the bowls these 9 teams can go to:
Not Happening For Minnesota (Probably top 5 B1G here):
1. Fiesta At Large vs. At Large Glendale, AZ
2. Rose Big 10 vs. Pac 12 Pasadena, CA
3. Peach At Large vs. At Large Atlanta, GA
4. Citrus SEC vs. BIG 10 ($8,550,000) Orlando, FL, no Minnesota or Michigan if possible
5. Outback SEC vs. Big 10 ($6,350.000) Tampa, FL, no Minnesota or Michigan if possible
6. Holiday Big 10 vs. Pac 12 ($6,326,258) San Diego, CA, no Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin or Michigan State, if possible

At Least Possible for Minnesota (Probably Michigan St. Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota here):
7. Music City SEC vs. Big 10/ACC/ND ($5,650,000) Nashville, TN, no Penn State or Iowa, if possible
8. Pinstripe Big 10 vs. ACC ($4,300,000) Bronx, NY, no Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Indiana, if possible
9. Redbox Big 10 vs. Pac 12 ($3,600,000) Santa Clara, CA, no Purdue, Indiana, Maryland or Nebraska, if possible
10. Quick Lane Big 10 vs. ACC/ND ($750,000) Detroit, MI

The above analysis looks good to me...I don't have a clue. But I know with our lousy attendance, we might not be any bowl committees first choice but with our momentum and Fleck perhaps there will be interest. Representatives from the Citrus, Holiday and Pinstripe Bowl were at the game. *Edited with Short Ornery's info so First Responder's bowl eliminated*

Last edited:

Totally. I’ll be curious to see how the Committee views Ohio St. as it will effect the B1G. And.... GO USC!!!

Got to be SFO. Fleck’s entire NFL career was there!! :eek:

Happy to go anywhere - and for the extra practices! Happy for Coach Fleck, the team, and for all Golden Gopher fans tonight!

It is by the choice of the bowls though, isn't it? We could technically jump Purdue especially if they have an interim coach.

There are 9 eligible B1G teams and we are the only 6-6 team besides Purdue but our conference record is worse so we should be #9. As it stands now:
1. OSU 11-1*
2. Michigan 10-2
3. Northwestern 8-4*
4. Penn. St. 9-3
5. Wisconsin 7-5
6. Michigan St. 7-5
7. Purdue 6-6
8. Iowa 8-4
9. Minnesota 6-6

If we don't qualify for the CFP then these are the bowls these 9 teams can go to:
1. Fiesta At Large vs. At Large Glendale, AZ
2. Rose Big 10 vs. Pac 12 Pasadena, CA
3. Peach At Large vs. At Large Atlanta, GA
4. Citrus SEC vs. BIG 10 ($8,550,000) Orlando, FL
5. Outback SEC vs. Big 10 ($6,350.000) Tampa, FL
6. Holiday Big 10 vs. Pac 12 ($6,326,258) San Diego, CA
7. Music City SEC vs. Big 10/ACC/ND ($5,650,000) Nashville, TN
8. Pinstripe Big 10 vs. ACC ($4,300,000) Bronx, NY
9. Redbox Big 10 vs. Pac 12 ($3,600,000) Santa Clara, CA
10. Server First Responder Big 10 vs. CUSA ($1,867,000) Dallas, TX
11. Quick Lane Big 10 vs. ACC/ND ($750,000) Detroit, MI

The above analysis looks good to me...I don't have a clue. But I know with our lousy attendance, we might not be any bowl committees first choice but with our momentum and Fleck perhaps there will be interest.

Is this still true? I thought we did really well in the Citrus Bowl. How'd we travel for the Holiday Bowl?

I was just thinking of how poor attendance has been this year...not past bowl appearances. But yes, we did travel well for the Citrus Bowl.

It is by the choice of the bowls though, isn't it? We could technically jump Purdue especially if they have an interim coach.

Not sure about that interim coach part. Brohm quoted today as saying Purdue is where he wants to be.

Totally. I’ll be curious to see how the Committee views Ohio St. as it will effect the B1G. And.... GO USC!!!

Gotta think OSU is third in line for the #4 spot assuming ND doesn't lose tonight.

Georgia is first, but would have to beat Alabama to qualify (if they did, I imagine both Bama and UGA make it).

Then Oklahoma, then OSU. The Buckeyes will jump UCF and LSU (regardless of outcome tonight), and Michigan and Wazzu lost. It gets real crazy if ND loses to the Trojans tonight though.

Not sure about that interim coach part. Brohm quoted today as saying Purdue is where he wants to be.

He is just trying to negotiate a higher salary at Louisville.

SI has us in the Quick Lane Bowl vs Virginia.

San Francisco Bowl vs. Pac-12

– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Purdue, Indiana, Maryland or Nebraska, if possible.

I posted this in another thread, but here's what I found on B1G bowl affiliations.

A Big Ten team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff. There can’t be a Big Ten team this year in the Sugar Bowl.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected

1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12

2. Citrus Bowl vs. ACC or SEC
– Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota or Michigan, if possible.

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible.

4. San Diego Country Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin or Michigan State, if possible.

5. TaxSlayer Bowl vs. SEC OR
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. SEC

– ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016 and 2017. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Penn State or Iowa, if possible.

New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC
– It’s not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Indiana, if possible.

San Francisco Bowl vs. Pac-12
– Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Purdue, Indiana, Maryland or Nebraska, if possible.

Quick Lane Bowl vs. ACC

SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. C-USA
– Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the bowl since 2014. The Big 12 is contracted to play in the SERVPRO First Responders in 2019.

Top Bottom