Which bowl?

I can't belive I'm hoping for Santa Clara if only because I might be able to go to that one .... it's one of those I don't like :p

Yes it's true that the Big Ten decides which teams go to which bowls ... but keep in mind that these bowls all have different payouts, and yet are all contractually obligated to take a Big Ten team if available.

That gives a very simple equation: the Big Ten will put its teams in the bowls that pay out the most.

Dallas and Detroit pay the least, with NYC and San Fran paying more.

So, I guarantee the Big Ten will fill the Pinstripe and Redbox bowls. Then it becomes a matter of how many teams it gets into the NY6 bowls, if it can put a team in Detroit or Dallas.

The crappy thing about Dallas, is it would be against a CUSA team. And probably a Texas team at that, which would be like a home game for them, and they'd have nothing to lose playing a P5 team. No thanks! Quicklane at least would be against an ACC team. If we lose, its to another P5 program.

Detroit is a shorter drive too. Just depends on the weather. And it certainly isn't warm in Dallas in the winter. Warmer than Minn, sure. So are Iowa and South Dakota ...
You mean a G5 team, not P5. And you are correct. A game against an ACC team would be much more appealing. The projections I've seen are against either Duke or V Tech. Both would be interesting. But again....I'm hoping for Redbox.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You mean a G5 team, not P5. And you are correct. A game against an ACC team would be much more appealing. The projections I've seen are against either Duke or V Tech. Both would be interesting. But again....I'm hoping for Redbox.

I meant for the G5 team, they'd be getting to play a P5 team. It's actually one of the few G5 vs P5 bowl games left .... the P5 confs have been killing them off, for good reason.

Why do you want to pay a bunch of money to fly out to San Fran in Dec? It's lukewarm and rainy. There's nothing special about the bay area itself, there's just a lot of tech money there (and techies) and that makes everything very expensive. Wine country is off-season. Farther out are Redwoods, Yosemite, and Tahoe. That'd be a bigger trip than just a weekend bowl game, though.

To each their own!

I meant for the G5 team, they'd be getting to play a P5 team. It's actually one of the few G5 vs P5 bowl games left .... the P5 confs have been killing them off, for good reason.

Why do you want to pay a bunch of money to fly out to San Fran in Dec? It's lukewarm and rainy. There's nothing special about the bay area itself, there's just a lot of tech money there (and techies) and that makes every very expensive. Wine country is off-season. Farther out are Redwoods, Yosemite, and Tahoe. That'd be a bigger trip than just a weekend bowl game, though.

To each their own!

Well I probably wouldn't be going regardless. I'm just speaking from a matchup and exposure perspective. The Redbox Bowl may not be the only game on at the time, but it's on New Years Eve and will be against a better opponent. And both the Pinstripe and Quick Lane Bowls start at 4:15 ET on the 26th/27th. That's not exactly primetime.

Well I probably wouldn't be going regardless. I'm just speaking from a matchup and exposure perspective. The Redbox Bowl may not be the only game on at the time, but it's on New Years Eve and will be against a better opponent. And both the Pinstripe and Quick Lane Bowls start at 4:15 ET on the 26th/27th. That's not exactly primetime.

Ahh, gotcha. You are correct! Good point (although those games are 415pm CT, so 515pm ET ... not that it matters that much)

So, I guarantee the Big Ten will fill the Pinstripe and Redbox bowls. Then it becomes a matter of how many teams it gets into the NY6 bowls, if it can put a team in Detroit or Dallas.

The crappy thing about Dallas, is it would be against a CUSA team. And probably a Texas team at that, which would be like a home game for them, and they'd have nothing to lose playing a P5 team. No thanks! Quicklane at least would be against an ACC team. If we lose, its to another P5 program.

As has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, a Big Ten team will not be going to Dallas. They have the last pick and no Big Ten team will be available unless only 1 makes a CFP/New Year's Day bowl. Very unlikely.

I would think the least desirable to attend would be the Pinstripe even though NYC is a great place to visit. The bowl is outdoors in cold weather, there aren't many hotels around Yankee Stadium, and the decent ones tend to be pretty expensive ($260-$300 per night) for the quality of them.

I would think the least desirable to attend would be the Pinstripe even though NYC is a great place to visit. The bowl is outdoors in cold weather, there aren't many hotels around Yankee Stadium, and the decent ones tend to be pretty expensive ($260-$300 per night) for the quality of them.

Yes, NYC is ridiculously expensive. So is San Fran.

Dallas and Detroit are far more affordable to visit, but not saying I want us to go to those bowls.

Why do you want to pay a bunch of money to fly out to San Fran in Dec? It's lukewarm and rainy. There's nothing special about the bay area itself, there's just a lot of tech money there (and techies) and that makes everything very expensive. Wine country is off-season. Farther out are Redwoods, Yosemite, and Tahoe. That'd be a bigger trip than just a weekend bowl game, though.

To each their own!

These people disagree with you about San Francisco. :)

https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/best-usa-vacations/
https://www.escapehere.com/destination/top-10-tourist-destination-cities-in-the-us/
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-visited-cities-in-the-us.html
https://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cities-in-us#san-francisco
https://www.businessinsider.com/mos...inations-2017-3#9-san-francisco-california-17
https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/top-25-cities-in-america/2744774.html
https://360chicago.com/top-us-cities-international-domestic-visitors/

Bowls don't pick Big Ten teams. This has been explained already.

The Big Ten decides which of its teams go to the bowls that have contracts with the conference.

Where have you read this? The Big Ten makes agreements with the bowls, but unless the Big Ten does things differently than every other conference I do believe the bowls get to pick within the pecking order. You seem very sure you're right, but I can't find anything that says so. Not saying you're wrong - just wondering where you heard/read this. A source would be great.

Ahh, gotcha. You are correct! Good point (although those games are 415pm CT, so 515pm ET ... not that it matters that much)
Yes, correct. 4:15 CT. I had already built in the hour. Better than 3:15 but still not a very desirable time.

Helpful map to see what temperatures are like in December across the country.
averagemaxtemp-December-1981-2010-cmb--1000x690--0000-12-00.jpg

Where have you read this? The Big Ten makes agreements with the bowls, but unless the Big Ten does things differently than every other conference I do believe the bowls get to pick within the pecking order. You seem very sure you're right, but I can't find anything that says so. Not saying you're wrong - just wondering where you heard/read this. A source would be great.

They may indeed do it differently than every other conference.

This doesn't exactly say or prove what I said is 100% correct, so I may not be exactly correct: http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/78767/b1g-to-adopt-tiered-bowl-selection-process

But as far as I know, all the bowls that have contracted with the Big Ten simply accept whatever team the conference dictates, rather than the bowl selecting the team.

Good breakdown of the ACC bowl picture from the NC State writer at the Raleigh News & Observer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article222238890.html

He's hearing the Gator Bowl wants an ACC team for the third straight season, likely nabbing either 9-3 NC State or 9-3 Syracuse (whichever isn't taken by the Camping World Bowl in Orlando), although the Gator also covets 7-5 Miami. That would mean the Big Ten would play in the Music City Bowl this year.

Virginia seems headed to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, and the ACC doesn't want to see Pitt drop below the Pinstripe. The Sun Bowl also gets to choose as a "Tier 1" bowl with Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech all sitting at 7-5, before the Quick Lane gets to pick (Duke played in Detroit last year). Reading between the lines, it sounds like Georgia Tech might be the likeliest opponent if the Gophers went to Detroit.

Good breakdown of the ACC bowl picture from the NC State writer at the Raleigh News & Observer:

He's hearing the Gator Bowl wants an ACC team for the third straight season, likely nabbing either 9-3 NC State or 9-3 Syracuse (whichever isn't taken by the Camping World Bowl in Orlando), although the Gator also covets 7-5 Miami. That would mean the Big Ten would play in the Music City Bowl this year.

Virginia seems headed to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, and the ACC doesn't want to see Pitt drop below the Pinstripe. The Sun Bowl also gets to choose as a "Tier 1" bowl with Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech all sitting at 7-5, before the Quick Lane gets to pick (Duke played in Detroit last year). Reading between the lines, it sounds like Georgia Tech might be the likeliest opponent if the Gophers went to Detroit.

Jike, you are the Mel Kiper of bowl season.

Quicklane Bowls:

2014 - Rutgers vs North Carolina
2015 - Minnesota vs Central Michigan
2016 - Maryland vs Boston College
2017 - Duke vs Northern Illinois

Technically would not violate the Big Ten's agreement, to not send the same team back to back. But it also says 5 different teams in 6 years. So that would get fouled up by 2017 per the letter of the law, but wonder if not sending a team at all is an exception? Tough to say

Boooo. G Tech is my next favourite team after the Gophers. I don't want them playing each other. [emoji35]

Boooo. G Tech is my next favourite team after the Gophers. I don't want them playing each other. [emoji35]

Glass half full: you can watch both teams for the price of one ticket.

And these all advocate traveling there in December, right? Like what I actually wrote ...

The high temp in San Fran varies only by about 10 degrees all year long. Not a huge change in temp.

They may indeed do it differently than every other conference.

This doesn't exactly say or prove what I said is 100% correct, so I may not be exactly correct: http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/78767/b1g-to-adopt-tiered-bowl-selection-process

But as far as I know, all the bowls that have contracted with the Big Ten simply accept whatever team the conference dictates, rather than the bowl selecting the team.

Ok - so that is pretty much what I had in my head. Pecking order with rules about same team not going to same bowls too often. Basically the Big Ten can overrule a bowl selection if they want to make it so they change up the locations for a team.

Redbox Bowls:

2014 - Maryland vs Stanford
2015 - Nebraska vs UCLA
2016 - Indiana vs Utah
2017 - Purdue vs Arizona

Pinstripe Bowls:

2014 - Penn St vs Boston College
2015 - Indiana vs Duke
2016 - NW vs Pitt
2017 - Iowa vs Boston College

Based on these and the Quicklane, and given the idea that the Big Ten wants to try to send 5 different schools in the 6 year contract period (2014-2019 bowls), and given that the bottom 3 teams from the Big Ten bowl eligible are Purdue and Minnesota at 6-6, and then Wisconsin and Michigan State at 7-5, and lastly given that the Big Ten will send teams to Pinstripe and Redbox (more money).... I'm going with this:

If Penn State gets into the NY6 -
Pinstripe: Purdue
Redbox: Minnesota
Quicklane: none

If Penn State doesn't get into the NY6 -

Quicklane: Purdue
Pinstripe, Redbox, Music City - some combo of Minnesota, Wisc, Michigan St

It's just too hard to say for sure which of those three bowls would most want the three schools, based on alumni in the area, or other factors. Purdue is close-ish to Detroit and can't go to the Redbox, so I put it in the Quicklane.

Last edited:

Ok - so that is pretty much what I had in my head. Pecking order with rules about same team not going to same bowls too often. Basically the Big Ten can overrule a bowl selection if they want to make it so they change up the locations for a team.

They work with the bowls, I'm sure. A bowl can request a certain team, knowing that the Big Ten won't send back-to-back and knowing it wants 5 different in the 6 years, but the Big Ten can reject it. That sounds right

A lot of folks talking about five teams in six years, but according to the Big Ten's bowl selection rules, the Quick Lane is not subject to that requirement.

While I'm sure the Big Ten isn't keen on sending a team there too many times, and won't send a team in back-to-back years, five different teams in six years is not explicitly outlined for Quick Lane like it is for Citrus, Outback, Holiday, and Redbox (and Pinstripe with their minimum six teams in eight years stipulation).

A lot of folks talking about five teams in six years, but according to the Big Ten's bowl selection rules, the Quick Lane is not subject to that requirement.

While I'm sure the Big Ten isn't keen on sending a team there too many times, and won't send a team in back-to-back years, five different teams in six years is not explicitly outlined for Quick Lane like it is for Citrus, Outback, Holiday, and Redbox (and Pinstripe with their minimum six teams in eight years stipulation).

Great find!!

But, by the process of elimination, if we did send a team to the Quicklane, it would have to be either Minnesota or Purdue, and Purdue is much closer to Detroit and hasn't been there yet. Minn probably has a decent number of alumni in Bay Area and/or NYC.

To each their own!

Have you ever even been near SF? Napa, Sonoma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom