How many years do we extend Flecks contract

Illinois was going extend to give him the recruiting years needed or cut bait.

Posted a couple weeks ago that SoCal (either team) was probably the most likely place Fleck would go fit-wise. As close to helmet schools that might have openings. He'll have to succeed a lot here for them to seriously look at him.

Won't happen this year obviously. I'm sure if USC is mediocre again next year the rumors could start up, but I don't see USC allowing RTB or other acronyms on their equipment. Hopefully Fleck continues his programmatic improvement and gets consistent recognition financially for it as it progresses- and then there's no reason for him to look for greener pastures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is he going to go? And why would he? We can pay him as much as anybody if we really want to, and he'd already have several years invested here. Can you imagine Notre Dame or Ohio St. with oars on their helmets? That's not happening.

Moreover, how often do coaches voluntarily go from one Power 5 program to another? It almost never happens. The only one I can think of recently is Bielema. It was a very stupid decision (I said so at the time) and one that I'm certain he regrets. I guess another one is Taggart, and I think he will end up regretting that decision as well.

I suppose he could leave for an NFL job, but he doesn't seem like an NFL guy - and that wouldn't happen for a few more years at least.

Curious on the list now. Please add on

Bert Bielema
Willie Taggart
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Gary Andersen
Mike Riley
Jimbo Fisher
Rich Rodriguez? WVU was Big East which got a BCS bowl or whatever it was called 10 years ago
Dan Mullen

Last edited:

Bert Bielema
Willie Taggart
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Gary Andersen
Mike Reilly
Jimbo Fisher
Rich Rodriguez? WVU was Big East which got a BCS bowl or whatever it was called 10 years ago
Dan Mullen

Pretty good list you have there. Urban left Florida for 'health reasons' so maybe that doesn't count per bleedsmaroonandgold below.

Last edited:

USC would never in a million years hire PJ. They can hire away just about anyone they want. However, they’ve been so insular of late in “keeping it in the family” with the Pete Carroll era it has sort of stung them. PJ’s resume is thin at the power 5 level and nonexistent in the NFL - he isnt going to a big school anywhere soon. Perhaps will consider it next year if he has a big season.

Extend him a year or two to keep recruiting viable but like others said don’t make emotional decisions. Never smart. I thought the same about the Rossi decision but am on board with that with the caveat of we’ll see how he does with his own guys and recruiting next year.

Last edited:

Urban Meyer
Technically Mike Leach
James Franklin

Meyer doesn't count. He retired and then came back after a one-year absence.

Leach doesn't count. Note that I said voluntarily - Leach was fired. He was also out of coaching for two years.

The rest that you and others have mentioned are all good. It has happened a lot more than I recalled. I will, however, reiterate an earlier point that many of these were bad decisions.

Most of these examples there is a reason the coach wants to go to that school, alma mater, etc. Does PJ have an emotional connection to any schools? Not that I’m aware of.

Most of these examples there is a reason the coach wants to go to that school, alma mater, etc. Does PJ have an emotional connection to any schools? Not that I’m aware of.

No, but he also has a 'climber' personality and already hates our media so I wouldn't be an ounce surprised if he jumped at any other opportunity as soon as it came along.

There are certain schools that are in that tier 2, top 25 type program status and some of those are in great recruiting areas that could perhaps be more ready for a national championship run: Oregon, OK State, TCU, Stanford to name a few. Maybe if he has success here he can be lured away but that will be a good problem to have. It’s analogous to the hot wife or girlfriend. Insecurity will ruin it. Just enjoy it and hope for the best.

I just can’t see him going to a blue blood.

Where is he going to go? And why would he? We can pay him as much as anybody if we really want to, and he'd already have several years invested here. Can you imagine Notre Dame or Ohio St. with oars on their helmets? That's not happening.

Moreover, how often do coaches voluntarily go from one Power 5 program to another? It almost never happens. The only one I can think of recently is Bielema. It was a very stupid decision (I said so at the time) and one that I'm certain he regrets. I guess another one is Taggart, and I think he will end up regretting that decision as well.

I suppose he could leave for an NFL job, but he doesn't seem like an NFL guy - and that wouldn't happen for a few more years at least.

Well, let's look at 2017: Chad Morris (SMU to Arkansas), Willie Taggert (Oregon to Florida State), Jumbo Fisher (Florida State to Texas A&M), Scott Frost (UCF to Nebraska), and Dan Mullen (Miss. St to Florida). Almost never happens?

Edit: I guess this ground has been covered. :rolleyes:

No, but he also has a 'climber' personality and already hates our media so I wouldn't be an ounce surprised if he jumped at any other opportunity as soon as it came along.

If he doesn't like our media, he'd really hate the media expectations and criticism at a blue blood school.

Well, let's look at 2017: Chad Morris (SMU to Arkansas), Willie Taggert (Oregon to Florida State), Jumbo Fisher (Florida State to Texas A&M), Scott Frost (UCF to Nebraska), and Dan Mullen (Miss. St to Florida). Almost never happens?

SMU and UCF aren't Power 5 programs.

Won't happen this year obviously. I'm sure if USC is mediocre again next year the rumors could start up, but I don't see USC allowing RTB or other acronyms on their equipment. Hopefully Fleck continues his programmatic improvement and gets consistent recognition financially for it as it progresses- and then there's no reason for him to look for greener pastures.

I don't see a Fleck move happening anytime soon, unless the wheels come completely off somehow or there is a scandal. As for the possibility of greener pastures, he'll have to put together a handful of big years here...like 3-4 consecutive years of 9-11 win regular seasons...to get any serious looks. That would be 2022 at the very earliest. If SC (PE's sentiments aside) or UCLA have a stretch of 6-8 win seasons, and Fleck is coming off a stretch of seasons like that, I think they would be remiss not to look hard at him. I would hope if that is the case, the U would have already backed up the Brinks truck with a hefty buyout in place.

I don't see a Fleck move happening anytime soon, unless the wheels come completely off somehow or there is a scandal. As for the possibility of greener pastures, he'll have to put together a handful of big years here...like 3-4 consecutive years of 9-11 win regular seasons...to get any serious looks. That would be 2022 at the very earliest. If SC (PE's sentiments aside) or UCLA have a stretch of 6-8 win seasons, and Fleck is coming off a stretch of seasons like that, I think they would be remiss not to look hard at him. I would hope if that is the case, the U would have already backed up the Brinks truck with a hefty buyout in place.

Look, I'm not saying that PSU is going to come into face 8-0 Minnesota coming off of a bye week next year, because I know Minnesota and that's not how next season will play out, but would it really surprise you?
Look at this schedule next year: https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-future-schedules-html.aspx

If he does what he should against that schedule with an older (and hopefully uninjured) team then he will be getting mentions at blue blood schools in November.
Our OOC games are SDSU, Fresno, and GSU.
Our crossovers are @Rutgers, Maryland, and PSU coming off of a bye week.

I don't know if Minnesota will ever have a more favorable schedule than 2019.

UCF is in the hunt for the playoffs? My imagination I guess.

Three last year with Taggert being a bit of an anomaly. The average is more like one a year (1.5%) from P5 schools, and pretty rare for a sitting B1G HC to make that move...twice (same team) in a dozen years.

Bert Bielema
Willie Taggart
James Franklin
Paul Chryst
Gary Andersen
Mike Riley
Jimbo Fisher
Dan Mullen

Nick Saban MSU to LSU
Lou Holtz
Steve Spurrier from Duke to Florida

As for PJ and USC, don’t think he’d ever go there since their uni combo doesn’t change.

Also 2 of yours weren't P5 to P5

Too bad Reusse won't get a better offer to leave.
Would make the Minneapolis sports landscape a better place.
Reusse, or any annoying media figure, doesn't exist if you don't read him. It's pretty nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My reasoning for PJ not mixing well with blue blood programs is he sees himself as a change agent, a messiah if you will, and places like USC do not like slogans other than Fight On, they do not change their unis, etc. I think someone coming in their trying to change things, plaster the walls and uniforms, etc would go off about as well as Rodriguez at Michigan.

Also 2 of yours weren't P5 to P5

Yes, that was pointed out. The comment was in response to "almost never happens". Three times or five times in 2017 alone is quite far from "almost never happens", at least I believe so.

Look, I'm not saying that PSU is going to come into face 8-0 Minnesota coming off of a bye week next year, because I know Minnesota and that's not how next season will play out, but would it really surprise you?
Look at this schedule next year: https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-future-schedules-html.aspx

If he does what he should against that schedule with an older (and hopefully uninjured) team then he will be getting mentions at blue blood schools in November.
Our OOC games are SDSU, Fresno, and GSU.
Our crossovers are @Rutgers, Maryland, and PSU coming off of a bye week.

I don't know if Minnesota will ever have a more favorable schedule than 2019.

Not really sure what you are responding to. I've said since before 2016 season that 2019 is the most favorable schedule for a big season. I expect 9+ wins in regular season with a chance to run the table with se luck and good karma.

That said, Fleck would need 3-4 years like that to to have a chance at a top program.

Not really sure what you are responding to. I've said since before 2016 season that 2019 is the most favorable schedule for a big season. I expect 9+ wins in regular season with a chance to run the table with se luck and good karma.

That said, Fleck would need 3-4 years like that to to have a chance at a top program.

Brohm is getting looks after a six win season with one real 'signature' win. If Fleck has a big year at Minnesota next year then he will absolutely get looks for top programs.
I bet he'd jump at one.
He's an infectious dude. You're underestimating his ability to leave with a 8 or 9 win season next year.

Last edited:

Brohm is getting looks after a six win season with one real 'signature' win. If Fleck has a big year at Minnesota next year then he will absolutely get looks for top programs.
I bet he'd jump at one.
He's an infectious dude. You're underestimating his ability to leave with a 8 or 9 win season next year.

No, I'm not, and no Fleck will not.

For Brohm, it's Louisville, he's from there, played there, and coached there.

Top Bottom