How many years do we extend Flecks contract

SON -

The issue I have with your reasoning is that if he has a big year next year, he'll be gone.
Take a quick look at our schedule, he very well might have a huge year: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/minnesota/
You don't want to wait until he's negotiating a contract somewhere else to try to sign him.

It might just be one win, but he thoroughly dominated the Badgers today.
More importantly, he didn't make mistakes other than one drive before the half.
He kept his foot on the gas when necessary, he managed the clock well, his team didn't turnover the ball, and the play-calling was great.

That wasn't just a good game for the Gophers. It was a well coached game, and that's something we haven't seen in Minnesota very often.

Where is he going to go? And why would he? We can pay him as much as anybody if we really want to, and he'd already have several years invested here. Can you imagine Notre Dame or Ohio St. with oars on their helmets? That's not happening.

Moreover, how often do coaches voluntarily go from one Power 5 program to another? It almost never happens. The only one I can think of recently is Bielema. It was a very stupid decision (I said so at the time) and one that I'm certain he regrets. I guess another one is Taggart, and I think he will end up regretting that decision as well.

I suppose he could leave for an NFL job, but he doesn't seem like an NFL guy - and that wouldn't happen for a few more years at least.

As much as the Wisky win deserves a bonus and extension, I'll wait until after the bowl game to decide. Firing Smith during the season is equal to hiring Smith to start with. Rossi could be the long term solution. We will see. Callahan was an improvement on the OL too. The decision to play Faalele was big. Any bigger program than us isn't coming for Fleck any time soon. They all reload and do not want to rebuild and entire culture over years. We survived the first 2 years and the future continues to brighten for Gopher Football. The Sleeping Giant is Awakening.

Where is he going to go? And why would he? We can pay him as much as anybody if we really want to, and he'd already have several years invested here. Can you imagine Notre Dame or Ohio St. with oars on their helmets? That's not happening.

Moreover, how often do coaches voluntarily go from one Power 5 program to another? It almost never happens. The only one I can think of recently is Bielema. It was a very stupid decision (I said so at the time) and one that I'm certain he regrets.

I suppose he could leave for an NFL job, but he doesn't seem like an NFL guy - and that wouldn't happen for a few more years at least.

I agree with you on all accounts but I have heard people compare Fleck to Sean McVay and Sean McVay to Fleck. And McVay is taking the NFL by storm and supposedly the wave of the future in the NFL.

I'm looking at this as a business decision. If you're the guy in charge, you don't hand out bonuses and raises willy-nilly. You make people earn them - keep them hungry and motivated. That's all I'm saying. Fleck might indeed deserve an extension - but I think it's premature to talk about it now. I'm sorry that I'm not jumping up and down and screaming "WE WON THE AXE" loudly enough for you. That's not who I am.

And again, my issues with Fleck are based on his personality and presentation. NOT on his coaching performance. I can separate the two. Today was a good win for the program. Kudos to Fleck and his coaches. The Gophers won today because the players played well. They did not win because the Coach says "Elite" every 3rd word.

You simply can’t enjoy the Gophers have won the Axe for the first time since 2003. You have shown over and over again you can’t separate the two. Your dislike for Fleck won’t allowed it no matter what you say.

You don’t need to jump up and down over the win but quit trying to stop others from jumping as high and shouting as loud as they want.

Everyone knows the team won because of how the players performed. Also the coaches deserve a ton of credit for how the team performed. People know they didn’t win because of the number of times the coach says “Elite”.

Try and enjoy it for once instead of over analyzing and trying to tell everyone else they need to calm down because you can’t stand the head coach.

I'm not a Fleck "guy," but anyone watching today has to admit that he, and his team, did well.
We have watched too many coaches choke away games like that.
Fleck knew exactly how to manage it.
High-percentage throws only when necessary, didn't let up the gas on defense, kept the run game humming along.

I couldn't tell what was coming out of most of our formations.
They did good, this is really the only game on our schedule that matters, and I have no reason to suspect that the Gophers are going to be worse next year.

Give him the contract he needs to get good player commitments. It only makes us better in the long-run.
He may or may not be serious about building a national powerhouse at Minnesota, but he is making the right moves.
I think I've seen enough to be comfortable with Mark Coyle
buying in on this guy.

I can't think of anyone better that would be willing to come to Minnesota.

I agree that it was a well played and well coached game. I would welcome a one year extension. However, it was just one game. I think that it brought us a win against Bucky is clouding the business deal (I agree with SON) with many fans. There is a chance that he does very well next year and leaves, but if that’s the case I’m not sure that a contract would keep him here nor would I be certain that he’d want a five year extension if he has his eyes on a bigger prize. There’s also the possibility that next year doesn’t go amazingly great or even good and then we’d be stuck with a large contract that at some point we’d have to buyout and then couldn’t afford the next guy.

In short, it was a great victory. I’ll rewatch it today. However, we have to take the entire season in consideration and think about the downside when it comes to a contract extension. Business decisions are best made not based on emotions.

Thank you. We will note your asterisks in our win column. Do we criticize your teams wins vs the NE Quadrant of SE Northern Missouri Southern or whatever?

Be honest, NDSU beat them by a good 35 this year...

Moreover, how often do coaches voluntarily go from one Power 5 program to another? It almost never happens. The only one I can think of recently is Bielema. It was a very stupid decision (I said so at the time) and one that I'm certain he regrets. I guess another one is Taggart, and I think he will end up regretting that decision as well.

Brohm is about to. Mason did (leaving Kansas) and almost did again.

From 9-3 to 6-6 in 2 years; yes, extend him at least 10 years. Seriously, It was a great win today, but that is a down and out badger team that was a complete mess today. Good job putting them out of their misery.

Exactly. I agree with Shorty too.

Coyle has to be very happy but I expect no knee jerk reaction from him.

Lets see how the team performs in the bowl before we start building statues and throwing around huge contracts after a very emotional victory.

Last edited:

I'm looking at this as a business decision. If you're the guy in charge, you don't hand out bonuses and raises willy-nilly. You make people earn them - keep them hungry and motivated. That's all I'm saying. Fleck might indeed deserve an extension - but I think it's premature to talk about it now. I'm sorry that I'm not jumping up and down and screaming "WE WON THE AXE" loudly enough for you. That's not who I am.

And again, my issues with Fleck are based on his personality and presentation. NOT on his coaching performance. I can separate the two. Today was a good win for the program. Kudos to Fleck and his coaches. The Gophers won today because the players played well. They did not win because the Coach says "Elite" every 3rd word.

Interestng. P.J. Fleck's personality seems to resonate with the 18 to 22 year old kid alot. Are you in this age demographic who might want to play for the maroon and gold?

I agree with you on all accounts but I have heard people compare Fleck to Sean McVay and Sean McVay to Fleck. And McVay is taking the NFL by storm and supposedly the wave of the future in the NFL.

Fleck will never HC in NFL. He doesn’t call plays. He’s a CEO.

Extend? 1 win against an average team? Sure it was a great win but lets string a couple 9 or 10 win seasons together and a couple appearances in high profile bowl games first.

Let's calm down a little bit. I enjoyed yesterday's game as much as anyone, can't remember ever enjoying a Gopher road game that much, so glad that the monkey is off our back, and I was at the practice field to greet the team. But giving him a giant extension based on one win to get us to 6-6 would be just as reactionary as firing him for a blowout loss to an 0-6 Nebraska team. This win has me pumped for the bowl game, and optimistic for next year (much more so than I was two days ago), but 6-6 doesn't get you the key to the city.

Brohm is about to. Mason did (leaving Kansas) and almost did again.

Brohm wouldn't even be considering Louisville if it weren't his alma mater. I'm pretty sure Fleck isn't leaving for NIU - at least not voluntarily.

Seriously?

Does anyone here remember how people felt after the Nebraska game, or the Illinois game?

This Gopher team is one of the most schizophrenic groups I can remember. They can look great one week, and play lousy the next week.

I'm happy about today's game - but that doesn't mean I forget about the rest of the season.

If Fleck wants an extension, show me a team that can play more consistently. I don't expect them to go undefeated - but I would like to see a team that doesn't go through such wild swings from up to down.

If the Gophers come back next year, play consistent football, show continued growth and improvement, then maybe it's time to talk about an extension.

Not today.

He did something the previous 4 coaches could not.

Andersen went from Wisky to Oregon St.

Chryst went from Pitt to Wisky.

Jimbo Fisher went from FSU to Texas A&M. It happens a fair amount.

Jimbo Fisher went from FSU to Texas A&M. It happens a fair amount.

And there was about a 5 million buy out. I guess my point is, even if a coach is under contract, they are going to leave if the situation presents itself, contract or no contract.

2 years if he wins the bowl; one otherwise. If he is willing to agree to a giant buy-out then maybe 5. He's still 6-6. While beating UW was a relief, it was a down UW team.

He's going to come very close to running the table against our schedule next year. I would be surprised if he sticks around after that.

Really depends on how much of a stop-loss he's going to agree to.

I agree it's a year if anything right now, as it gives U the opportunity to tighten up the buyout. I've pointed to 2019 for three years now as the best opportunity to have 10+, or run the table with some luck going Gophs way.

U decides to lock him up long-term based on next year's performance. Either way, Fleck's not going anywhere soon.

Extend? 1 win against an average team? Sure it was a great win but lets string a couple 9 or 10 win seasons together and a couple appearances in high profile bowl games first.

A well-run company starts to invest as they see a product line showing signs of turning around- not wait until demand hopelessly exceeds supply leading to losing customers who purchase other options. I completely agree that you don't invest in a 5 year extension here but adding a year or two with a pay-bump would be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A well-run company starts to invest as they see a product line showing signs of turning around- not wait until demand hopelessly exceeds supply leading to losing customers who purchase other options. I completely agree that you don't invest in a 5 year extension here but adding a year or two with a pay-bump would be reasonable.

Already happened. Started with TCF Stadium, and has continued with Athlete's Village and Fleck's contract.

Lovie Smith got a two year extension.
PJ will get at least one year, but more likely two.

Also, twitter rumors starting of PJ being wanted at USC.
If you want a head coach who can win a trophy game, you have to pay a coach who can win a trophy game.

USC reportedly is keeping their head coach.

Last edited:

thanks Heather - WOW - I didn't know you had that many monikers or so many friends out in Edina. How is the Cadi running?

If you want a head coach who can win a trophy game, you have to pay a coach who can win a trophy game.

First off I don't think there is any real threat of Fleck going elsewhere. There is a lot of talk about his personal brand and slogans on here, I wonder if a helmet school would let him bring those things with him, I honestly don't think many of them would. The Row the Boat mantra is so ingrained with him that it might be the kind of thing that would keep him at a school like Minnesota who has been willing to embrace it even if he were to get to a point where he would be a target of the helmet schools.

Hopefully we get to find out because if we do then it will mean he got the program to a level that made him attractive to those places.

First off I don't think there is any real threat of Fleck going elsewhere. There is a lot of talk about his personal brand and slogans on here, I wonder if a helmet school would let him bring those things with him, I honestly don't think many of them would. The Row the Boat mantra is so ingrained with him that it might be the kind of thing that would keep him at a school like Minnesota who has been willing to embrace it even if he were to get to a point where he would be a target of the helmet schools.

Hopefully we get to find out because if we do then it will mean he got the program to a level that made him attractive to those places.

I just edited my earlier post. USC is keeping their HC.
Some people feel the personal branding could be a positive for promoting the program. Weird.

I just edited my earlier post. USC is keeping their HC.
Some people feel the personal branding could be a positive for promoting the program. Weird.

the thread i started about 'fleck leaving' rumors was removed from gopherhole. maybe this thread should also disappear

USC reportedly is keeping their head coach.

Illinois was going extend to give him the recruiting years needed or cut bait.

Posted a couple weeks ago that SoCal (either team) was probably the most likely place Fleck would go fit-wise. As close to helmet schools that might have openings. He'll have to succeed a lot here for them to seriously look at him.

the thread i started about 'fleck leaving' rumors was removed from gopherhole. maybe this thread should also disappear

Maybe they don't allow trolls to start threads?

I don’t know the length of his current contract, but I would think you’d want it sitting at 3 more seasons at this point. If he has 8+ wins next year (pre-bowl), you tack on 3 years plus 1 for every win beyond 8. For example, a 10-win season would mean a 5 year extension on what will be 2 remaining at the end of 2019. Incremental raise through the process.

Nice move Gopherhole! Figures some will try and find a way to bring people down after an awesome day yesterday by posting rumors and trying to make people nervous.

Top Bottom