Chip: Gophers have found their quarterbacks (plural), for the near future at least

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The No. 1 objective of P.J. Fleck’s second season was to determine whether Zack Annexstad or Tanner Morgan could solidify himself as the quarterback of the future.

That question lingers entering Saturday’s regular-season finale at Wisconsin, but both quarterbacks have showed enough flashes of potential that hitting reset next season with an incoming freshman quarterback shouldn’t be necessary.

The border battle provides a big opportunity for Morgan in terms of staking his claim as the starter entering the offseason. A strong performance could establish a pecking order with two freshmen set to join the mix next season.

Predictably, both Annexstad and Morgan experienced alternately good and bad moments as first-year starters. Turnovers and inconsistency were problems. Nothing unusual for freshman quarterbacks in a power conference.

Their best stretches revealed a glimpse of their upside as passers. A foundation to build upon as their competition continues this offseason.

Annexstad has the edge in size and arm strength. The true freshman’s upside seems higher, which is probably why the coaching staff tabbed him as the starter out of fall camp. Morgan, the redshirt freshman, gave the offense a spark, showed more mobility and accuracy, and possesses a better grasp of the system having been in it a year longer. Each has different strengths.

“It’s developing, evolving,” Fleck said. “There’s been highs, there’s been lows. One thing I see from them a lot of times, once they make a mistake, they rarely make that mistake again.”

The Gophers are averaging nearly 100 more yards passing per game this season than in 2017. They also lead the Big Ten and rank 17th nationally in yards per completion at 14.3, which underscores their seismic upgrade at receiver but also requires quarterbacks to deliver passes that give receivers opportunities to make plays.

The downside: Annexstad (7) and Morgan (6) combined for 13 interceptions, which ranks 109th nationally.

They also have a cumulative completion percentage of 54.5 percent, which puts them No. 107 out of 130 FBS teams.

“They’ve played almost better than I thought they could play,” Fleck said. “When you play true freshmen or a redshirt freshman, it can get catastrophic — mentally, physically, emotionally. You can also have highs. It’s being able to get those highs sustainable over a long period of time.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...lural-for-the-near-future-at-least/501158251/

Go Gophers!!

the qb recruit from Texas, Clark, looks good on film...he will push both Morgan and Annexstad this spring...

need a qb to have a good game today to beat the Badgers...need to outperform Coan if he is the guy...

starting right tackle Edwards ruled out for Badgers...dline and secondary for Badgers depleted...

the Nebraska true frosh qb looked good...frosh can impact

All things considered the two freshman QBs did a nice job overall. They both made their share of mistakes but that is to be expected with inexperienced players. Will be nice to head into 2019 not worried about what we have at the QB position as I still think there is a lot of upside left with both of these guys.

per Chip:

The No. 1 objective of P.J. Fleck’s second season was to determine whether Zack Annexstad or Tanner Morgan could solidify himself as the quarterback of the future.

That question lingers entering Saturday’s regular-season finale at Wisconsin, but both quarterbacks have showed enough flashes of potential that hitting reset next season with an incoming freshman quarterback shouldn’t be necessary.

The border battle provides a big opportunity for Morgan in terms of staking his claim as the starter entering the offseason. A strong performance could establish a pecking order with two freshmen set to join the mix next season.

Predictably, both Annexstad and Morgan experienced alternately good and bad moments as first-year starters. Turnovers and inconsistency were problems. Nothing unusual for freshman quarterbacks in a power conference.

Their best stretches revealed a glimpse of their upside as passers. A foundation to build upon as their competition continues this offseason.

Annexstad has the edge in size and arm strength. The true freshman’s upside seems higher, which is probably why the coaching staff tabbed him as the starter out of fall camp. Morgan, the redshirt freshman, gave the offense a spark, showed more mobility and accuracy, and possesses a better grasp of the system having been in it a year longer. Each has different strengths.

“It’s developing, evolving,” Fleck said. “There’s been highs, there’s been lows. One thing I see from them a lot of times, once they make a mistake, they rarely make that mistake again.”

The Gophers are averaging nearly 100 more yards passing per game this season than in 2017. They also lead the Big Ten and rank 17th nationally in yards per completion at 14.3, which underscores their seismic upgrade at receiver but also requires quarterbacks to deliver passes that give receivers opportunities to make plays.

The downside: Annexstad (7) and Morgan (6) combined for 13 interceptions, which ranks 109th nationally.

They also have a cumulative completion percentage of 54.5 percent, which puts them No. 107 out of 130 FBS teams.

“They’ve played almost better than I thought they could play,” Fleck said. “When you play true freshmen or a redshirt freshman, it can get catastrophic — mentally, physically, emotionally. You can also have highs. It’s being able to get those highs sustainable over a long period of time.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...lural-for-the-near-future-at-least/501158251/

Go Gophers!!

The horrible media is trying to ruin the program with these articles.

Tanner Morgan stats
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240756/tanner-morgan

Zack Annexstad
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4360936/zack-annexstad

Considering Morgan has played mostly vs Big Ten defense he clearly has the stats edge. In terms of the intangibles he also seems on balance more decisive and has good body language and presence on the field. Because of Annexstad’s injury all this is sort of a moot exercise. That said, IMO he didn’t look all that great even when healthy. He clearly shied away from contact and if I’m not mistaken was injured in some way on just about every scramble. Glass jaw. The down field passing was really bad. All this is tempered by him being a true freshman and his poor protection led to the jitters. He can make the short/intermediate very, very well.

Barring an exceptional QB performance (or catastrophic) today however I’d expect the battle to renew next year. PJ needs an exceptional pocket passer to make his offense go vs good defenses. He maybe doesn’t want to incorporate a dual threat as much as some of us would like for better (less injury risk) or worse (limited offensive production).

QB play this season was definitely an improvement over last year and I have no doubt that each of these guys will improve as they get older, I'm still not entirely sure that either of these guys is the long term answer at QB though. I like all 3 of the incoming guys (Clark, Kramer & Graetz) and I have to believe that at some point PJ will be able to find a real top notch guy (Ken Seals?) who will push for early playing time.

Green is the 2nd QB With a Big Impact

If you think you have two QBs... Y'all probably know the rest of the sentence.

Green is an important asset now and in the future in my opinion no matter who the starting QB is next year.His capacity should be expanded to stay on the field almost every play to use his versatility.

I like Morgan just slightly ahead of Zach just because of the run threat. Hard to fully judge Zach though as he was playing injured for much of his time.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

It’s a catchy slogan, but oftentimes just not true. All depends on the qbs. I like what both freshman qbs have shown so far this year.

When I watch both Zack and Tanner, I see two guys who are at best competent. I don't see program changers. My 2 cents.

When I watch both Zack and Tanner, I see two guys who are at best competent. I don't see program changers. My 2 cents.
Not right now but they could improve to that point. Time will tell.

Sure, but they are both freshmen. It's fair to say we can expect maturation and some evolution from both. I'd be shocked if Clark or Kramer overtake either next year.

Wonder if PJ would consider Morgan as the guy next year and keep Zach to 4 games to preserve his redshirt.

Not right now but they could improve to that point. Time will tell.

Sure, but they are both freshmen. It's fair to say we can expect maturation and some evolution from both. I'd be shocked if Clark or Kramer overtake either next year.

It's possible I guess. I don't think their upside is that big. I'd love to be mistaken though.

...and that could very well be. The jury is still out on both. I was just more making the point that the saying doesn’t always fit. Henson versus Brady at Michigan. Leak versus Tebow at Florida. Lawrence versus Bryant at Clemson. Sometimes you really do have two QBs capable of being the starter.

Green is an important asset now and in the future in my opinion no matter who the starting QB is next year.His capacity should be expanded to stay on the field almost every play to use his versatility.

Green's development is going to be interesting to follow. Obviously a high percentage of his plays have been short yardage, goal to go situations. In an ideal world the Gophers would be able to line up and run without using a wildcat QB. Next year with potentially 4 solid RBs (Smith, Brooks, Ibrahim, Williams) and hopefully a better OL (Faalele, Dunlap, Andries getting another year to get stronger and Dickson getting his stuff together) maybe we need to use the wildcat less.

Where does he fit as a WR? There's some talent returning (Johnson, Bateman, CAB, Douglas) plus some youngsters/recruits (Manns, Adim-Madumere, etc.).

I don't think he's played a ton of 'traditional' (blocking) TE.

He obviously has talent and needs the ball. Will be fun to watch how they utilize him and get him the ball.

Wonder if PJ would consider Morgan as the guy next year and keep Zach to 4 games to preserve his redshirt.

Will be another fun position to watch. With my above comments, if the OL and RB play better next year then maybe...maybe they could play just 1 QB. But this season has shown there's a high chance you need at least 2 QBs to get through a season. IF Morgan wins the QB battle, with 2 more scholarship QBs coming in next year, who is the priority to redshirt next year (Annexstad, Clark, Kramer)? I'd want to RS the incoming guys and if the season plays out where Annexstad ends up redshirting, great. But I would't plan on it. I'd plan on both of them getting reps.

It certainly didn't hurt Note Dame to have the option of going to Book instead of Winbush this year. I'm not saying either are as talented as those two, but I love the idea of not being an injury away from a season falling apart.

Hopefully these two young men continue and to grow and develop as quarterbacks. I also can't help but remember the difference between me as a Freshman and a Junior or Senior in college. It might have been the beer, but imagine also having everything that the Athlete's Village has to offer. We only need 1 to take a big step!

Green's development is going to be interesting to follow. Obviously a high percentage of his plays have been short yardage, goal to go situations. In an ideal world the Gophers would be able to line up and run without using a wildcat QB. Next year with potentially 4 solid RBs (Smith, Brooks, Ibrahim, Williams) and hopefully a better OL (Faalele, Dunlap, Andries getting another year to get stronger and Dickson getting his stuff together) maybe we need to use the wildcat less.

Where does he fit as a WR? There's some talent returning (Johnson, Bateman, CAB, Douglas) plus some youngsters/recruits (Manns, Adim-Madumere, etc.).

I don't think he's played a ton of 'traditional' (blocking) TE.

He obviously has talent and needs the ball. Will be fun to watch how they utilize him and get him the ball.

Will be another fun position to watch. With my above comments, if the OL and RB play better next year then maybe...maybe they could play just 1 QB. But this season has shown there's a high chance you need at least 2 QBs to get through a season. IF Morgan wins the QB battle, with 2 more scholarship QBs coming in next year, who is the priority to redshirt next year (Annexstad, Clark, Kramer)? I'd want to RS the incoming guys and if the season plays out where Annexstad ends up redshirting, great. But I would't plan on it. I'd plan on both of them getting reps.

I think that your comments were excellent. My only qualifier regards how Clark looks in spring practice, since I believe that he is coming in January. If he does well, I'd like to see him getting some playing time in 2 of the non-conference games. If he isn't ready to help, you've still saved his redshirt. If Clark looks very good, he could then be an option if Morgan or Annexstad is injured or ineffective. I think that Kramer rdshirts regardless.

Those 2 will improve as they get older. By senior year we will have the 2 best qbs in the big ten.

I think that your comments were excellent. My only qualifier regards how Clark looks in spring practice, since I believe that he is coming in January. If he does well, I'd like to see him getting some playing time in 2 of the non-conference games. If he isn't ready to help, you've still saved his redshirt. If Clark looks very good, he could then be an option if Morgan or Annexstad is injured or ineffective. I think that Kramer rdshirts regardless.

Agreed. I believe both Clark and Kramer are enrolling early, which I really like when QBs do.

Top Bottom